Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

Live Homes games

Old
Live Homes games - Tue Jun 26, 2012, 01:24 PM
(#1)
Since: Jan 2012
Hey guys !

Beside PokerStars, I'm also playing 3-4 times a month a home game at my friend's house (usually 6-9 players). I wanted some tips.
The characteristics of the game are the following:
-A LOT of limpers, once in a while some one raises pre-flop ( I'm playing tight so when I play a hand I raise, but the limpers often call cuz they think 'oh, Ive already payed a BB, so I'll pay the raise' so bad beats are often.
-The starting stack is 1500 as usual. The blinds kinda go up really hard: 10/20 - 25/50 - 50/100 - 75/150 - 100/200 - 150/300 and so on with no antes ( each 15 minutes )
- Players are kinda weak, and don't know much theory, odds, pot odds or probabilities.

The problem is that I can't shove when get 10BB or lower, cuz "it seems a lot of chips" at the moment, and nobody will call with a bad hand (they'll think that I'm shoving that many chips cuz I'm crazy lol). So at the end everyone is pretty much really short.

Any tips or advices on how to play guys ?

Thanks

Old
Tue Jun 26, 2012, 01:34 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi fp_boss!

I'll treat the limpers the same way that I do online. When I get into a hand, I'll make a std raise (3bb+1bb for each limper to start, then lower to 2.5, then 2.2 as the blinds increase).

When I get to 10BB or lower (5BB or lower if everyone is a shortstack)... if I'm playing a hand, I'm shoving. If they don't want to play the hand, then I'll gladly take the chips that are already in the middle.

If everyone's short, then I'll keep a note on everyone's chip stacks to get ITM first, then I'm playing the hands normally to try and win.

Good luck.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Tue Jun 26, 2012, 01:40 PM
(#3)
Since: Jan 2012
Thanks JWK24 !

But should sometimes should I limp as well to see some cheap flops ? Cuz sometimes I figured that I was playing too tight just waiting for good hands, and getting too short.

Old
Tue Jun 26, 2012, 01:44 PM
(#4)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
I'm not going to open-limp at all, however, if I'm in late position (button/CO) and have a speculative hand, I might limp behind and try to stack someone.... but not if I'm short.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com