Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

30NL : TPTK on monontone board with 3 villains

Old
30NL : TPTK on monontone board with 3 villains - Tue Jun 26, 2012, 02:46 PM
(#1)
Since: Feb 2012
UTG: 42/11 over 1.8k hands. Standard loose/passive, he can call on Flop and Turn with bottom pair, and I have seen him play big hands slow on the flop (and turn most of the time) on many occasions
CO: 67/33 over 9 hands only. Nothing stands out
BB: 55/9 over 33 hands, not too sticky postflop so far.

Boss No-Limit Hold'em, $0.30 BB (6 handed) -

MP ($34.09)
CO ($32.20)
Hero (Button) ($41.30)
SB ($3.30)
BB ($13.80)
UTG ($26.10)

Preflop: Hero is Button with K, A
UTG calls $0.30, 1 fold, CO calls $0.30, Hero bets $1.80, 1 fold, BB calls $1.50, UTG calls $1.50, CO calls $1.50

Flop: ($7.35) 9, J, K (4 players)
BB checks, UTG checks, CO checks, Hero bets $3.90

On that flop I'm pretty confident I have the best hand, especially when they all check, but there are a lot of potential draws.

Question: what's the optimal bet sizing here? SPR is kinda low, am I commited if I get c/r?

Last edited by bearxing; Tue Jun 26, 2012 at 04:09 PM.. Reason: unacceptable exterior links

Old
Tue Jun 26, 2012, 06:31 PM
(#2)
Since: Aug 2010
BronzeStar
Hi Kazhaam!

Welcome to the cash game HA forum!

Given the SPR of under 2 vs the BB, you are going to be pretty stuck for his stack after making ANY size bet here, that sees him C/R. Versus UTG, with an SPR of 3.3 you are pretty much in the same boat as well. Only against the CO opp is a bet/fold line really possible. The flop texture being what it is, and with the pot still multi way, this is actually a pretty decent spot to pot control if you were facing opp's with a pretty aggro profile.

But facing LP opp's, those pretty unlikely to shove as a semi bluff, I'd really hate to allow a free card in this spot myself.

So I think I'd be more inclined to lead for around 2/3rds+ pot because it is multiway, and trust in the info I have that these guys are unlikely to try a move on this board texture. Making it around $4.85 or so to go on the flop would tend to extract more value for you from what is likely their loose drawing tendencies (if you ARE ahead), it makes your turn decision far easier on most cards, and also prevents questions about whether or not a C/R is really what it represents since most of the stacks you face would probably immediately shove a flopped flush after that bet on this depth of money and would be quite reluctant to shove anything else. So risking slightly MORE than you chose to bet here could actually save you money if you are beat...

The sizing you chose (just over half pot) is too likely to see you stuck to the pot anyway, and is small enough to possibly result in cascading callers. The first caller is getting around 2.9 to 1, and is denied odds, but the 2nd potential caller is getting more like 3.9 to 1 and is nearly getting the right price to peel. This won't happen with a slightly larger sizing. Yes, the larger sizing will tend to fold out some of the money that might call, but I'd really not be loving it if everyone stuck around vs my top pair anyway.

So if I cannot check behind here to pot control effectively, I would probably favor betting a larger amount to both extract more value, and to better define any potential C/R I might face.

Hope it helps.

-JDean

Double Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com