Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

2nl QJs On the Button

Old
2nl QJs On the Button - Thu Jun 28, 2012, 08:57 AM
(#1)
Since: Jul 2011
In this hand the two players involved are 'skttn' and 'alexxaro'. My reads for these players are:

skttn - He is a fishy loose aggressive player, playing 51/30/0 (over 65 hands) with a postflop aggresion factor of 2.8. He likes to stab at pots but will fold when faced with aggression if he doesn't have a decent pair. I haven't played to many pots with him. Preflop his raise is always a min raise.

alexxaro - TAG player pre flop playing 19/11/4 (over 83 hands) but postflop becomes more passive playing a fit or fold style he has an aggression factor of 1.0. I haven't seen many showdowns from this player as he either folds or makes his opponent fold.

I'm percieved to be very LAG getting involved in quite a few pots and playing them aggressively, although I wouldn't think i'm percieved to be bluff happy.

Sorry, this hand was deleted by its owner

When skttn raises in the CO his range is very wide and i treat this prety much the same as a limp I decide to raise to isolate and get called by the BB and him. I flop TP and there are two draws there so when it's checked to me I bet for value around 3/4 pot as there are two players. The BB calls and skttn folds.

The turn comes the 2d I don't really consider this a scary card as I think the BB would fold out any hands pre-flop that just got there making the straight. However as i 3-bet preflop and made quite a sizeable flop bet I decided to check behind so the pot doesn't grow too large.

The river is a pretty big brick and he checks to me again, I decided to bet 1/2 pot for value I think lots of med PP will call.

However I'm pretty unsure whether I should have checked the turn or did I miss a value bet here? Also is my river bet sizing okay?

Thanks for any advice.

Croyd

Old
Thu Jun 28, 2012, 09:36 AM
(#2)
Since: Feb 2012
I think you played that hand very well VS those opponents. The Value 3bet vs the super fish is very nice. I think I should do that a little bit more often too

1 ) It's hard to get more than 1 street of value vs a TAG that plays fit/fold. 2 streets is really the best you can hope for, especially in a 3bet pot.

2) You're hand is marginal. This guy almost never continue facing aggression on the Turn with anything you beat, except maybe a flush draw that he plays very passively. There are not many of those in his range. So I like the check a lot.

For river bet sizing:
Villain as checked twice, you know you're ahead 90%. It's still possible he's playing a king very conservative, but he most likely have a PP. Time to go to value town .

So you are trying to get value from a PP. A huge bet to look bluffly probably would just never work vs this guy. So I think 1/2 PSB is the max I would try.
I would probably try to go between 1/4 and 1/3 psb to really make it hard for him to fold if he has anything.

Old
Thu Jun 28, 2012, 09:38 AM
(#3)
Since: Feb 2012
oops, double post!

Old
Fri Jun 29, 2012, 11:23 AM
(#4)
Since: Oct 2011
BronzeStar
I really like the post flop line you took. Pre flop, I would probably just call the raise but you felt you had a strong read on your opponent which made you inclined to 3b for value and to isolate so it's tough to argue with your reasoning.

Checking the turn behind (although it's pretty standard practice to pot control a hand just like the one you have!) definitely makes your line look a lot bluffier to villain and may make him more inclined to play bluff catcher with his hand (I presume a mid pp? 8s-jj?) I think if you bet the turn for value as well you're likely only getting called by hands that beat you (at the worst KQ) and by the time you come to value bet the river you won't really have the option of folding to a shove with so little left behind. Also, sizing is fine, considering what you're hoping to be called by.

Last edited by AceKingBlows; Fri Jun 29, 2012 at 11:26 AM..

Old
Sat Jun 30, 2012, 12:44 AM
(#5)
Since: Jun 2010
(Head Trainer)
Hi,

I generally flat prelfop in this spot, as I think our hand plays better in position vs. this villain in a single raised pot. Don't get me wrong, 3b for value and to isolate him should be profitable, but I think vs. a guy who is prone to making post flop aggression mistakes it's more profitable to flat him a lot and let him get bets in bad post flop when we flop Q high by leaving him in the lead and allowing him to blast at it.

Post flop line is good, except I'm not a fan of the value bet on the river. Vs. this villain as described I just don't think he's apt to pay us off with worse, he'll show up with KQs or AQ a lot here when he calls. If we want to try and eek value out of pocket pairs we need to make a smaller token value bet like 1/3-1/4 of the pot, make it something he can't resist. Then when he sees you play top pair like this it may set up some cheap bluffs against him later.

Dave

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com