Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

2 NL 6 Max flopped set on monotone board

Old
2 NL 6 Max flopped set on monotone board - Thu Jun 28, 2012, 12:39 PM
(#1)
Since: Mar 2012
Hi ppl, I've been on a bad run of cards these 3 days, affecting the way I played as well. This is one of the hands I have overplayed.

It was a table with TAGish players except for the BB who is 54/0 after 27 hands, and villain july is 33/5 after 21 hands at the BTN.

On the flop, he min-raised my cbet. I put him on a flush draw or any 2 pairs. Due to bad run of cards, I didn't want any more suckouts, thus put him all in. But I believe the shove was totally overplayed.

Would you have taken the line of flatting him OOP or raise him here to extract maximum value? I believed he could have called with any two pairs or set. Flush draw I'm not too sure.

If raise, how much to raise?

If flat, how do we know where we stand? Then do we fire out the second barrel on the turn?

Last edited by TheAwesomeNW; Thu Jun 28, 2012 at 12:41 PM..

Old
Sat Jun 30, 2012, 12:02 AM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Head Trainer)
Hi T,

Although we have little reads with only 20 hands, the early impression is loose passive, and when this type of player min-raises us it's bad news. Loose-passives just don't ever do this with a draw. Our set is too strong to fold, as he may do this with aces up or a smaller set, and we have outs to draw out on a flush or straight, but I'm not thrilled. I will generally just call, and reevaluate the turn, unless I have better reads and can identify a different good line. I definitely don't like jamming all in unless I now the guy will call off the rest with 2 pair or worse, which may not be the case here (way too unknown to have an idea about this yet)

Dave

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sat Jun 30, 2012, 10:59 AM
(#3)
Since: Mar 2012
Thanks Dave. Actually he held Qs4s which means he flopped the nut flush.

I've read somewhere that the probability of flopping a flush is 0.84%.

1) Thus, whenever facing a monotonous board, one with 3 same suited cards, is it generally ok to put the villain on a flush draw instead of assuming that he already flopped the flush? Because 0.84% is really rare, so in most situations, a set would be most likely ahead of the villain who min raise us?

2) For situations like this hand where he already flopped the nut flush, is it ok to say that it's ok to lose this hand because there's no way to avoid it? And it's about minimising the losses?

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com