Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

GRRRRrrr

Old
GRRRRrrr - Fri Jun 29, 2012, 07:09 AM
(#1)
Since: Jul 2010
Was there another way I could've played this hand or was I just destined to lose all my chips?

$1.50 STT SNG my Opp in the pot is playing 90/10 over 31 hands. That is not a typo 90/10... 90/10... 90... you get the picture. He has previously called down small bets all the way to the river with bottom pair 2 2 and Q high although I have seen him fold to large bets a couple of times.

I had decided how I was going to play the hand even before he called my pre flop raise. No point in trying to range the guy just try to get all the money in on the flop and turn whatever hits. Could I have played it differantly?

This is my second hideous bust out in two games this morning. Time to step away from the PC.

Rob

Old
Fri Jun 29, 2012, 11:45 AM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi Rob!

With AA, just like any other hand that I'd want to raise with preflop, I'd make my std raise, which for this blind level is to 3BB+1BB for each limper, so I'd raise to 400. By making my raises standard, it helps to conceal my hand, as I'll make the same raise with AA, 33, AQ, 89s or a total bluff.

The flop gives three undercards. With there being a possible OESD out there (if the opp had 89s for example), I want to make a bet large enough to price this possible draw out. To do so, I'll make a 1/2 pot bet here of 375. This will price out the draw and is my std c-bet amount (which by making std bets here too... it helps to conceal my hand).

However, if I had made the larger standard raise preflop, then my c-bet on the flop would have been more than 1/3 my remaining stack.. so I'd be pot committed, and due to this, I'd shove the flop.

As played, I'd shove the turn too. Yes, the opp could have 2 pair, a set or a straight, but I'll take my chances. I want all the chips to be in against a loose opp when I have AA, as with the opp playing a top 90% hand, I'll win the pot 85% of the time vs their range. That is a chance that I'm more than willing to take. I do have to remember though, that the opp is going to win this 15% of the time, which is why bankroll management is important... because I want to be in this type of situation.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Fri Jun 29, 2012, 01:59 PM
(#3)
Since: Jul 2010
Did I mention that he was playing 90/10?

Old
Fri Jun 29, 2012, 02:14 PM
(#4)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hey Rob!

Yeah. That 90% is what I used as their range to get the 85% fav number from pokerstove.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com