Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

$1 45ppl sng- was i entitled to squeeze

Old
$1 45ppl sng- was i entitled to squeeze - Sat Jun 30, 2012, 10:32 AM
(#1)
Since: Nov 2011
http://www.pokerschoolonline.com/rep...ash=9F26A057F0

Hi all, the two players involved in the pot were pretty tag how i sore their percieved image.

Was I entitled to have a stab at it on the river with an all in floated bluff, or is this sort of play too dangerous and too risky?

Old
Sat Jun 30, 2012, 11:15 AM
(#2)
Since: Jan 2012
Hi holdemace

Opening 10Js with 6 players behind is a little loose but it's ok, once we get 3bet im done with the hand though! Calling 3-bets out of position is naughty, especially at the early stages of the tournament and were not that deep. ' Slaps you on the wrist'!

It's difficult for me to warrant your play in this hand as it's a spot I would never get into however once both villains have checked behind it's likely the original 3 bettor has a hand like the slowplayed nuts AA/KK which is doubtful as he is likely to bet the turn with them hands, or 10 10 - QQ , the guy to our direct left could have absolutely anything from Ax, Kx and small pair's.

If you make a half pot size bet on the river I would expect one of these guys to call you, so with that being said your overshove is ok.

The question you have to ask yourself is was it worth it, you took a big risk and was rewarded with only 545 chips.

Open folding pre or raise folding to the 3bet is by far the best line you could of took here.

Hope this helped a wee bit, Chris.

Last edited by ChewMe1; Sat Jun 30, 2012 at 11:16 AM.. Reason: typo

Old
gnx - Sat Jun 30, 2012, 11:23 AM
(#3)
Since: Apr 2012
BronzeStar
That's a difficult scenario. I guess it will always depend upon what type of opponents you are playing, if they are fit or fold then if it's been checked on all streets, it would appear to be a profitable play. But on the other hand, the 3bet pre-flop usually indicates a strong holding, therefore there will always be a small chance that someone flops a strong/verystrong hand (especially on a flop containing a king and an Ace), maybe two-pair or a set.
But I think the likely-hood of someone slow-playing a set on that board is unlikely, as they would of bet the flop as a means of protecting their hand against anyone with a flush draw, or they would of at-least min bet one street. I think the risk is therefore pretty low in this scenario, you would probs only get called by someone who massively improved on the turn/river, e.g. PP into a set, but then again, this is unlikely as they would presumably bet for some value.
Based on what I have personally analysed, I think this situation is going to be a profitable play most of the time. But it would always depend on the type of opponents you play and your table image.

Old
Sat Jun 30, 2012, 11:25 AM
(#4)
thx chris i did think it was abit risky so thought i would see, it worked luckily and yes i didnt realise i only won that many chips so the risk was not worth it.

Old
Sat Jun 30, 2012, 11:26 AM
(#5)
Since: Apr 2012
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChewMe1 View Post
Hi holdemace

Opening 10Js with 6 players behind is a little loose but it's ok, once we get 3bet im done with the hand though! Calling 3-bets out of position is naughty, especially at the early stages of the tournament and were not that deep. ' Slaps you on the wrist'!

It's difficult for me to warrant your play in this hand as it's a spot I would never get into however once both villains have checked behind it's likely the original 3 bettor has a hand like the slowplayed nuts AA/KK which is doubtful as he is likely to bet the turn with them hands, or 10 10 - QQ , the guy to our direct left could have absolutely anything from Ax, Kx and small pair's.

If you make a half pot size bet on the river I would expect one of these guys to call you, so with that being said your overshove is ok.

The question you have to ask yourself is was it worth it, you took a big risk and was rewarded with only 545 chips.

Open folding pre or raise folding to the 3bet is by far the best line you could of took here.

Hope this helped a wee bit, Chris.
Yeah Chewme's preflop advice is the main advice you should take from this, JTs is not a hand you want to play from earlyish position or call a 3bet, because your going to be completely dominated pre-flop, they are never 3betting with less than JT in this spot.

Old
Sun Jul 01, 2012, 05:55 AM
(#6)
BronzeStar
Personally i would like to of seen a bet on the turn bro as a semi bluff, at least at this point you had outs, and why not limp? atleast then your adding abit of pot control to the hand and if you face a isolation bet it aint going to be as big, its just such a bad position to be playing jts.

I would play it this way, limp in see how many ppl want to join the pot, but im folding to a raise oop
and only calling a raise if its the sb or bb giving me back postion, if the op to my direct left raises me and all the table decides to call then i'm in the pot i want to see a flop, but in general bro this is a very tricky hand from that position you must of been having a brain fart hehe.

JTs btn,cu, sb vs bb or defend ya bb to a raise as a resteal if btn opens the betting, from where u played it? never! unless i've got 7 or 8 bb left then i might just be tempted push.

Old
Sun Jul 01, 2012, 08:10 AM
(#7)
hahah bruv brain fart is that even a quote lol,it is now, yea but you know me bruv i can play some strange stuff with some strange ways call me at ye peril cause sometimes i got the nuts lol,

and thx to the others for the comments all makes sense to me and any newbies want to listen to there advice and not try to play JT out of posistion in this way, i got lucky at the end of the day with the steal.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com