Home / Community / Forum / Poker Community / New Members /

Newbie to Poker

Old
Newbie to Poker - Sat Jun 30, 2012, 10:38 AM
(#1)
Since: Jun 2012
Hi guys,

My name is TerboMivec and im from Dublin/Ireland

26 years old and working full time, so playing is down to what my shifts are.

I just joined the PSO as i want to learn how to play some great poker. Ive been playing poker with friends for a year or so but nothing too competitive. I played 3 or 4 live games but didnt do very well.

I want to improve my playing as i seem to be losing concentration if i get big beats, Ive played a little bit on Paddypowerpoker but nothing to write home about.

I want to complete all the lessons before I start playing, well that's what i think is the best thing to do, Any tips would be great.

Also what do you think should be my first deposit amount and what to play in?? Bankroll management help would be great too.

Hope to get to know loads of you guys soon

Regards

TM

Old
Sat Jun 30, 2012, 10:55 AM
(#2)
Since: Nov 2011
welcome to the forum mate, enjoy your time here , theres some great players with some quality advice.

Watch the videos on here theres some great learning, stick too it,stick to what they tell you, and you will do ok mate gl any questions just find the section and ask

Old
Sat Jun 30, 2012, 11:01 AM
(#3)
Since: Aug 2010
(Moderator)
Hello TerboMivec,

A very warm welcome to PokerSchoolonline.

We have some great people here who are always very willing to offer help and advice. For a start you may like to go to.

WELCOME TO NEW MEMBERS

Where you will find links to loads of interesting material.

Welcome again, enjoy your stay and good luck on the tables, if you ever need any help just post or you can pm me and i will help in any way i can.

Regards

Tony

Old
Sat Jun 30, 2012, 11:04 AM
(#4)
Since: Dec 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerboMivec View Post
Hi guys,

My name is TerboMivec and im from Dublin/Ireland

26 years old and working full time, so playing is down to what my shifts are.

I just joined the PSO as i want to learn how to play some great poker. Ive been playing poker with friends for a year or so but nothing too competitive. I played 3 or 4 live games but didnt do very well.

I want to improve my playing as i seem to be losing concentration if i get big beats, Ive played a little bit on Paddypowerpoker but nothing to write home about.

I want to complete all the lessons before I start playing, well that's what i think is the best thing to do, Any tips would be great.

Also what do you think should be my first deposit amount and what to play in?? Bankroll management help would be great too.

Hope to get to know loads of you guys soon

Regards

TM
Hi TerboMivec,

Welcome to the forums!

You want to take your game to the next level and beyond? Check out our Team PokerSchool Online Trainers in their Live Training sessions, they discuss poker theory for all levels and variants >>click here<< for their schedule.

We also have a video archive of Team PokerStars pros and Team PokerSchool Online Trainers and their recorded training sessions >>click here<< you'll like this.

Beats are part of the game, maintaining your composure at the poker table is one of the most important attributes to have as a poker player, in turn helping to make good decisions after taking a beat will prove to be very profitable in the long run!

I'd suggest playing 2/4c limit holdem to start out or 1/2c no limit holdem. A $10 deposit should be enough to get your feet wet in those games.

Hope this helps. Best of luck to you at the tables and thank you for being a member of www.pokerschoolonline.com

Quintuple Bracelet Winner

Last edited by CannonLee; Sat Jun 30, 2012 at 11:09 AM..

Old
Sat Jun 30, 2012, 11:22 AM
(#5)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi TerboMivec!

Here is definitely one section of the courses that you'll want to take a look at. It's the bankroll management section.

Using good BRM is a key, as all players are going to have downswings and we need to be able to withstand them.

Good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sat Jun 30, 2012, 12:15 PM
(#6)
wow!

Thanks for the very warm welcome already, Didn't think id get a welcome that good. Ill be studying as much as I can over the next few days and ill put my deposit down

Thanks again

Old
Sat Jun 30, 2012, 06:02 PM
(#7)
Since: Jun 2010
BronzeStar
Play the Open skill League next month, it will teach you patience and picking your spots.

I will pm you some strategy lessons for this.

Old
Sat Jun 30, 2012, 06:12 PM
(#8)
Since: Oct 2011
BronzeStar
Welcome to the league!!!

My best advice is have fun playing

If you don't have fun then why bother!

People here are great and will give loads of advice.

See you in the open league its a great place to start.

Old
Sat Jun 30, 2012, 07:28 PM
(#9)
Since: Mar 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by CannonLee View Post
Hi TerboMivec,

Welcome to the forums!

I'd suggest playing 2/4c limit holdem to start out or 1/2c no limit holdem. A $10 deposit should be enough to get your feet wet in those games.

Hope this helps. Best of luck to you at the tables and thank you for being a member of www.pokerschoolonline.com

To be honest TerboMivec, a $10 deposit like Cannon suggests is not sufficient enough of a bankroll to play 2NL, i would not sit down at ANY cash table without at least 40 buy ins, a buy in being equal to 100 Big Blinds; Therefore at 2NL you should have 40 X $2 = $80 bankroll to start playing at 2NL Cash tables...

For 5NL, the same principle, 40 buy ins of 100 BBs, $200 of a bankroll..

You will find plenty of information on this site to set u in the right direction pal....

If its Cash games you want to play i suggest checking out Felix's videos in the library, Sit and Go's i would suggest start out with the Spacegravy videos and for Mtts you have an immense choice, loads to look at

Hope this helps a fellow Irishman get by, Good Luck Pal

Old
Sat Jun 30, 2012, 08:02 PM
(#10)
BronzeStar
With a 10 dollar BR you can play the 1/2 cent games and start to build!!!

Old
Sat Jun 30, 2012, 08:31 PM
(#11)
Since: Mar 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by dopplerboyf5 View Post
With a 10 dollar BR you can play the 1/2 cent games and start to build!!!

YEA MAN... WATEVER YOU SAY!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am ONLY REPEATING WHATS BEING SAID BY TRAINERS ALL OVER......

Lolling at your comment, lmfao actually, $10 BR and start to build... (lol, build with 5 buy ins, gimme a break)

Is this not a poker school?

Should we not be giving SOUND STRATEGIC AND TECHNICAL ADVICE??

$10 BRoll is enough play .25cent SnGs ONLY...... USING SOUND BANKROLL MANAGEMENT

OP i would not go near CASH tables without a minimum of $80 for 1c/2c NLHE full ring tables

END OF STORY

Old
Sat Jun 30, 2012, 09:20 PM
(#12)
BronzeStar
Mate i recon 10 million should see you right. that way you can play whatever games you like with no fear of going broke!!

Old
Sat Jun 30, 2012, 09:26 PM
(#13)
BronzeStar

Lolling at your comment, lmfao actually, $10 BR and start to build... (lol, build with 5 buy ins, gimme a break)

$10 BRoll is enough play .25cent SnGs ONLY...... USING SOUND BANKROLL MANAGEMENT

OP i would not go near CASH tables without a minimum of $80 for 1c/2c NLHE full ring tables

END OF STORY

Read more: Newbie to Poker - Page 2 - PokerSchoolOnline Forum http://www.pokerschoolonline.com/for...#ixzz1zKVERhsC

Well I see nothing wrong with what I said!!!

I do not have a BR of 80 but Im happy with playing with what I have. You don't need a huge bank roll to have fun. I am not playing to make a living. I will not get caught up on the hipe of internet poker. Its like little league hockey only .0009% will make it.

Old
Sat Jun 30, 2012, 10:51 PM
(#14)
Since: Jul 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by dopplerboyf5 View Post

END OF STORY

Read more: Newbie to Poker - Page 2 - PokerSchoolOnline Forum http://www.pokerschoolonline.com/for...#ixzz1zKVERhsC

Well I see nothing wrong with what I said!!!

I do not have a BR of 80 but Im happy with playing with what I have. You don't need a huge bank roll to have fun. I am not playing to make a living. I will not get caught up on the hipe of internet poker. Its like little league hockey only .0009% will make it.
The OP was asking for BR management advice, and wants to learn to play "great poker". Part of great poker is sound BR management, to minimize your chances of busting.

If you are a recreational player, playing whatever level for fun is fine, as long as you are prepared to lose your money. To a serious player, this just isn't acceptable.

So you're both right, it all depends on your goals. Personally, I follow even more stringent BR guidelines. I built my BR from zero, and I'm very protective of it.

Old
Sun Jul 01, 2012, 01:40 AM
(#15)
$10 is a very minimal amount to deposit and certainly will not put a dent in their pocket book trying to learn the feel and flow on the cash tables. The Op mentioned that they will only be able to play very seldom as they have a full time job.

Another $10 can always be deposited again within a few seconds of clicking the cashier if luck swings in the wrong direction.

Limit Holdem
$10 = 12.5 minimum buy ins of 80c

No Limit Holdem
$10 = 12.5 minimum buy ins of 80c

Deposit an amount that you deem necessary and affordable.
>>click here<< for an overview of bank roll managment guide lines and the various types of players.(eg. recreational, serious, professional)

It has been suggested already but I'll put it out there again. The PokerSchool Online Open League might be a better place to start if you'd like to work on the fundamentals of poker before trying a hand at the cash game tables.
>>click here<< for a complete overview of the PokerSchool Online Open League

Good luck at the tables everyone.

Last edited by CannonLee; Sun Jul 01, 2012 at 01:47 AM..

Old
Sun Jul 01, 2012, 01:56 AM
(#16)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerboMivec View Post
wow!

Thanks for the very warm welcome already, Didn't think id get a welcome that good. Ill be studying as much as I can over the next few days and ill put my deposit down

Thanks again
Your are very much welcome here!

If you have questions please do not hesitate to post them in the forum, or you can contact any of the Team PokerSchool Moderators via private message.

Old
Sun Jul 01, 2012, 08:23 AM
(#17)
Since: Nov 2011
hi again,welcome again lol, do not let peoples debates put you off mate sometimes there can be a confusion in the posts as people have different views and sometimes its hard to explain what they want to explain to you.

I will clarify for you my thoughts on the $10 situation

OK if you want to play serious poker a $10 doller buyin would not be adequate

If you wanted to play fun poker then $10 dollers is just fine

If you are not yet a established poker player but want to learn and become great then again $10 is fine in my eyes for the learning process.

So technically in my eyes you are all right just explained a bit confusing and should not really be a debate on a welcome post its not fare on the newbie to the forum and can be putting off to some.

So please just post away and enjoy your time on the forum newbie

Old
Sun Jul 01, 2012, 08:57 AM
(#18)
Hey thanks for all the input guys, I think ill put in around $10 to start just to get the feel of things, ill be playing the open league thats for sure, Practice makes perfect as they say.

Hope too meet you guys on the tables soon, ill be looking into everything you said about BR managment and the leagues, Thanks again for all the input and see you guys soon!

TM

Old
Sun Jul 01, 2012, 12:32 PM
(#19)
Since: Aug 2010
BronzeStar
Welcome!

There's some nice promotions for first-time depositors like the Team Online Freerolls - I think they have bounties for knocking out one of the pros and stuff.

GL at the tables!

Old
Fri Jul 06, 2012, 11:19 AM
(#20)
Cheers Sam! I'll do that Fingers crossed I get good soon

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com