Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

5NL 6-max Zoom - just scared to get more value

Old
5NL 6-max Zoom - just scared to get more value - Sat Jun 30, 2012, 11:24 PM
(#1)
Since: May 2011
Hi,

I couldn't believe this hand. I had managed to chip up a bit but this was a scarey flop. I did what I think is correct from live training - min raise btn 6-max and c/o full ring.

No info on the op in a Zoom game but I labeled red (good? player) 3bet ability during the hand.

My note after was -

"5NL 3b bb 74s my min btn raise, flat my 3x 4b, A2A flop, check raise turn 8, bet Q river - ?"

so if I see him again it doesn't really help if my passive play calling down lost me value.

The key point in the hand is after checking behind on the flop I called not raised on the turn and the same on the river. So did I miss some value here?

Were the op's bets too small in cash games representing a bluff to make better hands fold?

Obviously a good Ax or QQ would be a legitimate 3b hand flatting a 4b but oop? A pot size river bet I can't call.

But in hindsight you can't get value from a stone cold bluff.

What if this happens at 25NL 3b with a decent hand? They won't lead out an A but check raise the turn 8 - what can I do?

Old
Sun Jul 01, 2012, 02:44 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Head Trainer)
Hi Forrest,

I think your line is fine here. Although to a thinking player it kind of turns your hand face up, we will induce bluffs from aggressive players quite frequently in this spot and get our hand to showdown in a medium sized pot which is good for this hand strength. Being aggressive is only going to fold out most worse hands.

Update the note that his 3b pre was also a min-raise. Next time you'll know, he continued with 74s in a 4b pot and semi-bluffed the turn/bluffed the river, so he sure seems to be a good target for the line you took to maximize value. Taking lines that will encourage more of these mistakes from him when you flop a hand with showdown value will prove to be very profitable, at least until he adjusts (if ever).

Dave

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sun Jul 01, 2012, 03:14 PM
(#3)
Since: May 2011
Thanks Dave,

Note on the min 3b. The small bets on turn and river do look suspicious - I get suckered in by them so many times when I'm beat.

Yes raising the turn would fold out worse and I wouldn't have got the river bluff.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com