Home / Community / Forum / Support Area / Poker News /

crazy guy folded QUADS face up in $1M Event one drop

Old
crazy guy folded QUADS face up in $1M Event one drop - Sun Jul 01, 2012, 09:32 PM
(#1)
Since: Aug 2010
http://www.pokernews.com/live-report...ost.207240.htm

it's his $1M right, let him be he doesn't want to bust out early

he will only call an all in with Royal Flush

Old
Sun Jul 01, 2012, 10:54 PM
(#2)
Since: Jul 2010
How can you fold QUADS - for sure I couldn't. Guess that's the difference between them and me lol.

Old
Mon Jul 02, 2012, 01:55 AM
(#3)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
0% chance I'm folding quads there!

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Mon Jul 02, 2012, 03:11 AM
(#4)
Since: Jan 2012
Only in a million dollar buy-in tourney will you ever see this me reckon..

Wow..!

Old
Mon Jul 02, 2012, 07:04 AM
(#5)
Since: May 2011
Well,

Reading how the hand was played isn't Ts9s possible?

Opener checks on flop, 88 leads his set, T9 flats a made straight / flush draw / monster gut-shot.

88 leads turn with quads, T9 calls (a raise for value here?) with a made straight flush.

The river only means a flush may have improved if your holding quads. So you fire a 3rd barrel and then you get slammed on?

Sick, sick, sick bluff or not?

Old
Mon Jul 02, 2012, 07:49 AM
(#6)
Since: Nov 2011
i can see the logic in the fold but still a big wowww

Old
Mon Jul 02, 2012, 08:36 AM
(#7)
Since: Mar 2011
am not folding them quad 8888 am all in if he is lucky to have the straight flush best of luck to him.
the buy in Shouldn't be on is mind if he is using bankroll management unless he is holdem aces cousin

Old
Mon Jul 02, 2012, 10:09 AM
(#8)
(Head Trainer)
The fold is horrendous imo. Can't really put it any nicer.

Of course the straight flush is possible. But in order to make this a good fold you have to be pretty sure that's the ONLY hand the opponent would take this action with. It's not. At the very least, I would think they could play JJ the same way. If the villain would ONLY do this with JJ or the straight flush, then they are a 3-1 favorite to have J's full. The opponent could be playing KK this way as well, taking a pot control line until the river when he thinks he just binked the hand. I just don't see this as a good fold ever, unless the guy somehow accidentally flashed his hole cards while checking them and you saw the straight flush cards.

I heard about it from Phil Galfond's tweets, people thought he was joking at first. lol

@PhilGalfond
Just saw the craziest hand I've ever seen. Guy folded 88 face up on Js87s8sKs.

@PhilGalfond
Just got interviewed 3 times on break. No one asked about me. All asked about the quad 8s hand.

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Mon Jul 02, 2012, 10:42 AM
(#9)
Since: Jul 2011
http://www.wsop.com/news/2012/Jul/39...-THIS-MAN.html

Some more info..

Old
Mon Jul 02, 2012, 04:57 PM
(#10)
(Head Trainer)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austerror View Post
Nice link, thanks.

Smirnov categorically rules out all the full houses, making the lay down possible, but imo it's a pretty terrible read and a classic mistake, deciding he can't possible have KK or JJ simply because he didn't 3b preflop. The mistake is that's how he would play preflop, and he's attributing his game to his opponent. It's quite possible this opponent would chose to flat KK or JJ prelfop at least some of the time. Given the stack sizes flatting JJ is probably even optimal.

BTW, the way I interpret the quote from the opponent at the end, he did not have the straight flush. Hence the grin, then the reply that he won't reveal his hand out of respect for his opponent (he doesn't want to show him up).

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Mon Jul 02, 2012, 05:40 PM
(#11)
Since: May 2011
Yes thanks,

Interesting thought processes. I was thinking of what I'd do raising a big pair on the button not that an opponent would do something different. Never mind a $1M buy-in.

Galfond was in the booth on the live stream earlier giving his thoughts and basically went with playing JJ that way (as Dave said earlier) or the nuts 50 : 50 and that was too good to fold.

Old
Mon Jul 02, 2012, 08:07 PM
(#12)
Since: Aug 2010
BronzeStar
I didn't know if I'd find this big tourney interesting to follow or not, but after hearing that people are folding quads ... wow, that's pretty interesting!

I guess this is a 'one time big time opportunity', eh? For the poker pros, it's a chance to make more money in a couple of days than it might take them years to make? And for the business guys who play poker as a hobby, maybe this is the best shot they might ever have to win a WSOP bracelet?

And so people might be playing nervous?

Maybe he saw that youtube clip that we've all seen with Ray Romano and the royal flush beating the quad aces, and his anxiety got the best of him or something, or maybe he's got backers and he wanted to take a more low-variance route or something? But if he doesn't come away with a cash, maybe he'll always wonder if he should have made the call instead of the fold ...

Old
Tue Jul 03, 2012, 05:34 AM
(#13)
Since: Mar 2011
you no dave my gut feeling tells me he came in with aq hit the flush on the turn i now one thing
if it wos me. my chips wear in i wood have to see his hand i carnt fold quads there.

Old
Tue Jul 03, 2012, 07:02 AM
(#14)
Since: Dec 2010
Villain jams all in on the river when this player is holding . fist pump call! imo

I am very shocked that this player folded quads on this board
there is a lot of hands that fit in the villains range in this spot that are crushed.

Quintuple Bracelet Winner

Last edited by CannonLee; Tue Jul 03, 2012 at 07:13 AM.. Reason: cards

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com