Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

2NL AA vs loose player

Old
2NL AA vs loose player - Tue Jul 03, 2012, 05:02 PM
(#1)
Since: Jul 2011
Villain plays roughly 30/20 over about 100 hands. I haven't seen him make really bad plays, but think he is capable of doing so. The concept of position seems lost on him anyway.

Pre: having a hard time putting a hand on the limp call. Thinking maybe he is set mining with a small to middle pair here.

OTF: Flop looks all right. Would expect him to open any of the pocket pairs that would make him a set here. He leads out very weak and I'm thinking my raise will pick up the pot here putting him on a weak bluff. When he raises me I'm having a hard time putting him on a hand. Did he hit his set after all? Is he playing a straight or flush (or both) draw weirdly here? Does he have JTs and am I dominated? I decide to call.

OTT: the small bet looks really weak. I now think he may have gotten tricky with AQ pre, although I would really be surprised at him not raising that. He doesn't seem like the player to have such balancing in his opening range.

OTR: When he bets about half the pot I know my AA is no good. I decide to call anyway, against my better judgement. I guess this is a leak. He shows JTo for a flopped straight. Pretty sick. I still feel I got away from this a lot cheaper than I could have.

Any comments? Could I have folded this on the flop? On the river? Your opinions are appreciated.

Old
Wed Jul 04, 2012, 12:01 AM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Head Trainer)
Hi Niels,

Quote:
Originally Posted by NL_Niels View Post
Pre: having a hard time putting a hand on the limp call. Thinking maybe he is set mining with a small to middle pair here.
Small and middle pairs, suited connectors and 1 gappers, broadway cards, Axs, at the very least. Just plugging 30% into pokerstove it looks like this: 55+,A2s+,K5s+,Q7s+,J8s+,T8s+,98s,A7o+,A5o,K9o+,Q9o +,J9o+,T9o That's a pretty wide range and probably a reasonable baseline.

On a side note, I like to raise more pre here... you have 2 loose limpers who will likely pay a premium to see the flop even out of position, I favor more like .12c for value in this spot.

Quote:
OTF: Flop looks all right. Would expect him to open any of the pocket pairs that would make him a set here. He leads out very weak and I'm thinking my raise will pick up the pot here putting him on a weak bluff. When he raises me I'm having a hard time putting him on a hand. Did he hit his set after all? Is he playing a straight or flush (or both) draw weirdly here? Does he have JTs and am I dominated? I decide to call.
I disagree that the flop looks all right... it looks terrible for AA imo. This board hits a fair bit of their limp-calling range very hard. Obviously it misses small pairs and most Ax suiteds except for hearts, but it's right in the wheelhouse of the lower broadways and high suited connecters, 1 gappers, and stuff like Q9s. It's a dangerous flop.

The initial .04c donk bet into a pot of .27c looks weak, and I'm not inclined to give basically a free card to a worse hand, so I like raising it. Again I would raise more, if he is trying to get a cheap card on a draw of some sort, you just priced him into it as he only has to call .12c more into a pot that is now .47c, 4-1 on his money with more behind implied. Hit it to a good .30c imo here OR simply flat call to control the pot, but I prefer to hit it personally.

The min-3b looks very strong, and a bet/3b line into the preflop raiser itself looks very strong... unless the villain is incredibly aggro, I think we are beat here much of the time.

Quote:
OTT: the small bet looks really weak. I now think he may have gotten tricky with AQ pre, although I would really be surprised at him not raising that. He doesn't seem like the player to have such balancing in his opening range.
Either the 8 pairing counterfeited him (Q9), or he's trying to induce a raise. Since you called the flop 3b I'm never folding now, but don't really like raising any more as he just looks too strong here. So I like the call.

Quote:
OTR: When he bets about half the pot I know my AA is no good. I decide to call anyway, against my better judgement. I guess this is a leak. He shows JTo for a flopped straight. Pretty sick. I still feel I got away from this a lot cheaper than I could have.
I would call as well at this point. We only need to be right 24% of the time to break even, and there's enough uncertainty for me that I think we need to pay him off. He can show up with Q9, QJ, QT possibly, and all flopped draws busted out so he may have some bluffs. I'm not thrilled, but if we got to the river I think we should call this bet.

Dave

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com