Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Poker Education & Beginners Questions /

Sometimes i wonder why i bother with poker

Old
Sometimes i wonder why i bother with poker - Tue Jul 03, 2012, 10:39 PM
(#1)
Since: Jun 2012
BronzeStar
The hands that have lost me a crack at winning my first sng are beyound belief. First example is me with an AA losing to a guy with A9 and him getting 3 of a kind on river with 9s, next time is me losing when i have 77 and he has 66 and him getting 3 of a kind, both times cost me a crack at 1st place im gutted.

But i think i will stick at it 3rd, 5th and 7th place out of about 8 attempts at low stack sngs is not bad going for someone who only started playing about 3 weeks ago.

Last edited by Horatio022; Tue Jul 03, 2012 at 10:47 PM..

Old
Wed Jul 04, 2012, 12:15 AM
(#2)
Since: Jul 2010
The only advice I can give you is get used to those bad beats, if you play a lot of poker it's going to happen. The trick is learning to let them roll off like water off a duck's back.

Old
Wed Jul 04, 2012, 08:38 AM
(#3)
Since: Jun 2010
You need to learn to focus on your decision making, not on the results of individual hands. In most hands you made a good decision or you didn't (some are too close to call). If you continue to make good decisions the results will follow. Winning players make more good decisions than lesser players.

Good decisions!

Old
Thu Jul 05, 2012, 05:36 AM
(#4)
BronzeStar
I'm new, and I'm glad I'm not the only person who feels like this. I've invested so much money, and even after I've read and understood most of the courses, I've lost everything every time. 90% of the time whenever I get a high overpair I get a bad beat, and whenever I get a good hand it seems like there is no hope
I really hope Texas Hold'em isn't a game where only 1% can win and make money, otherwise I'd be wasting my time here. It is possible that I've been doing the wrong play, but I've followed the courses to the letter so far with still no profit.

Old
Thu Jul 05, 2012, 05:54 AM
(#5)
Since: Mar 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herryck View Post
I really hope Texas Hold'em isn't a game where only 1% can win and make money, otherwise I'd be wasting my time here. It is possible that I've been doing the wrong play, but I've followed the courses to the letter so far with still no profit.
Heys to add on to what Joy and TrumpinJoe said, this game is a marathon. You might have just have been on a bad run of cards and everyone goes through that. Get used to it and start making winning decisions. Perhaps your hand sample size isn't large enough. You need at least 20000 hands to start to determine if you're a winning player. So don't despair. Participate in more trainings and most importantly, enjoy the game! GL at the felts.

Lee

Old
Thu Jul 05, 2012, 06:38 AM
(#6)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAwesomeNW View Post
Heys to add on to what Joy and TrumpinJoe said, this game is a marathon. You might have just have been on a bad run of cards and everyone goes through that. Get used to it and start making winning decisions. Perhaps your hand sample size isn't large enough. You need at least 20000 hands to start to determine if you're a winning player. So don't despair. Participate in more trainings and most importantly, enjoy the game! GL at the felts.

Lee
What do you mean hand sample size? Isn't Texas Hold'em a game of art and science combined, but not repetitive play? If a bad poker player plays 100000 hands he won't get profit. Texas Hold'em requires a huge amount of concentration, analysis, and guts. If anyone could play it then everyone would be a winner at 20000 hands :/

Old
Thu Jul 05, 2012, 07:46 AM
(#7)
Since: Aug 2010
(Moderator)
Hi Herryck

Welcome to the forums.

Just in case you haven't found all of the features on the site this link may help you.

Regarding hand sample size, you are right the game is a game of art and science, it is also one of patients and being able to spot our own weaknesses
Hence the importance of having a large enough hand sample size that we can analise and spot any leaks we may have in our game to improve.

By the way you are very welcome to submit hands for our experts
to look at and give you advice.

Good luck in your progress.

Tony

Old
Thu Jul 05, 2012, 08:14 AM
(#8)
BronzeStar

My final table curse strikes again, i get a straight on turn and raise, guy completes his flush on river. In hindsight i probably should of gone all in when i got straight or at least raised more. I had a feeling he had flush on river but there was a chance he was bluffing or had a weaker hand then me so i commited.

Last edited by Horatio022; Thu Jul 05, 2012 at 08:16 AM..

Old
Thu Jul 05, 2012, 10:40 AM
(#9)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi Horatio022!

With Q6o from the BB, I'm mucking this preflop to any raise. Trying to defend blinds by playing way too many hands from the SB and BB without cards is going to be a large chip leak over time.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Thu Jul 05, 2012, 11:16 AM
(#10)
Since: Mar 2012
With a raise and a call ahead of me, I fold preflop here every time. Q6o is a week hand period.

Old
Thu Jul 05, 2012, 12:16 PM
(#11)
BronzeStar
Well in this situation i do fold most of the time. But i thought that risking 400 chips to see the flop of a table with a pot of 2150 with 3 people is a risk i like to take from time to time.

Old
Thu Jul 05, 2012, 01:36 PM
(#12)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horatio022 View Post
Well in this situation i do fold most of the time. But i thought that risking 400 chips to see the flop of a table with a pot of 2150 with 3 people is a risk i like to take from time to time.
this may actually have been the correct call here based on ur interpretation of the situation. however, i've revised my strategy some over the months. i used to defend my blinds with just about anything if i was getting a good enough price, but sometimes even then, it simply isn't worth it! im folding a ton now even when i get 7 or 8 to 1 on a call, b/c ur gonna be missing so much or be outkicked against a large number of opponents. all of these defending calls add up over time and drain ur bankroll.

Old
Thu Jul 05, 2012, 02:29 PM
(#13)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWK24 View Post
Hi Horatio022!

With Q6o from the BB, I'm mucking this preflop to any raise. Trying to defend blinds by playing way too many hands from the SB and BB without cards is going to be a large chip leak over time.

John (JWK24)
That is exactly what I thought when I saw him carrying Q6 offsuit before I even saw the flop.
And wiltshireman, I know that link very well, and about weaknesses, maybe my only weakness is doing whatever I can to get a better income as fast as possible since the standards of living in my country are below average. But I get what you mean, that it will take a lot of time and practice before I get better (hopefully I'll have money left by then).

Old
Thu Jul 05, 2012, 06:53 PM
(#14)
Yeah, I agree that this is a fold preflop. When the action comes around to you, you are at approximately 11bb which is getting short. Putting in another 400 puts you at 10bb which is entering all-in territory. You might as well have put them all-in pre-flop (not advisable with your cards). But since you called, your second mistake was not to go all-in on the turn when you got the straight. The flush draw may have called you regardless because of his stack size but you show a lot more strength with an all-in and give him worse odds to call (which would hopefully be enough to get him to fold).

Old
Thu Jul 05, 2012, 11:34 PM
(#15)
BronzeStar
Ok i understand abit better now, sorry if im coming across as a bad loser newbie still got alot to learn. Just started reading Harrington on Hold'em expert strategy and have watched somemore videos on this site. The above hand wasnt really unlucky i mean the guy was offered a chance to complete his flush for a low price which was good poker. On the other hand if i had gone all in on the turn and offered him a much higher price than the odds of him getting that flush it maybe wouldnt of been such good poker him calling.

Old
Thu Jul 05, 2012, 11:39 PM
(#16)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
That's the goal for all of us... to keep learning and to make ourselves be better players. Hang in there, there is a bunch of very good information and examples out there.
For a newer player, make sure you take a look at the videos from Dave (TheLangolier), especially his theory ones. You should be able to learn a good deal of information that you can use from them.

Good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sat Jul 07, 2012, 08:37 AM
(#17)
BronzeStar
I suffered another bad beat today. I had QQ and the flop came out 5 4 5. I was heads up with one player and being the first to act, I went all in (the pot was more than 75% of my stash). He immediately called, which was weird. Out came a 3 and another card I can't remember, and it turned out he had an A2o. This was low stakes, so I thought he might have been loose and couldn't care less. Have I made the right play?

Old
Sat Jul 07, 2012, 10:46 AM
(#18)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi Herryck!

Without knowing the suits, stack sizes, pot size and where the tourney was at, I can't tell for sure. I'd say it was probably a loose call, but to determine for sure, I'd need the other info.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sat Jul 07, 2012, 12:20 PM
(#19)
BronzeStar
It was a $1.50 Fifty50 Sit'n'Go, and our stack sizes were around $1200 each. There was no chance for a flush, and the pot size was considerably high, I think between $600 and $700 when I went all in with my $900.

Old
Sat Jul 07, 2012, 12:31 PM
(#20)
BronzeStar
You should check out http://www.pokerschoolonline.com/replayer/. I learned how to use it the other day, there is a tutorial as well somewhere if you get stuck. That way you can link your exact hands on forums, so people can help out alot more.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com