Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

$1.10 PSO Series NLHE

Old
$1.10 PSO Series NLHE - Tue Jul 03, 2012, 10:56 PM
(#1)
Since: Apr 2012
This was just after the bubble had burst and was only a few hands in to the new table so I had little info on the villain but know he had been chip leader for some time but not gaining many chips for a while.

Not sure if I should have raised more pre? and also now think my river shove was stupid since I didn't bet the turn to find out if he made the flush. I just never put him on a hand like that, I was thinking small pocket or some marginal hand that plays ok usually. I think the turn is my mistake, opions appreciated.

Old
Wed Jul 04, 2012, 03:50 AM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi fadyen!

With AJ preflop, I'd make my standard raise, which for this blind level is to 2.5BB+1BB for each limper. Since there is 1 limper, I'll bet 3.5BB or 2100.

The flop brings three undercards and the opp checks to me. I"ve got two choices, I can check the flop for pot control or make a c-bet. If I make a c-bet, I want to make my standard bet size of 1/2 pot here.

The turn gives me top pair, but completes the flush and the opp checks to me again. Since they called both preflop and the flop, I'm going to check here for pot control, as I'm not sure that I have the best hand with top pair. If I had checked the flop for pot control, I would have made a 1/2 pot c-bet on the turn with top pair.

The river gives me trip J's and now.. the opp that has been passive the entire hand leads into me for 3600. Normally when a passive opp all of a sudden leads the river, they have a made hand. I would expect them to have flopped a straight, turned a flush, Jx or 2 pair here. Since I can beat a few of these hands... but my hand does have showdown value, I'm going to just call the opp on the river here.

By betting less on the flop, the opp was really getting the correct odds to call to their flush/overcard pair. They had to call 1800 into a pot that would be 8500 (21.2%). From their view point, they had 9 outs to the flush and 3 more outs to the K, so they had 12 outs, which is 24% equity to see the turn. Their hand equity is higher than the pot equity, so they should call the bet.
If a 1/2 pot bet had been made, then it would have been 1/2 pot into a pot that will be 2X what it was... so the pot equity would have been 25%... which is slightly higher than the opp's hand equity.. making calling on the flop a -EV play for them.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Wed Jul 04, 2012, 10:47 AM
(#3)
Since: Apr 2012
Thanks, that does help. I think I checked the turn because I was worried he made his flush and planned to get to showdown cheaply since I had some showdown value, but then changed my mind. If I have a plan I should stick to it unless I have a real reason to change it.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com