Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

could i of got some value out of the river?

Old
could i of got some value out of the river? - Wed Jul 04, 2012, 04:45 PM
(#1)
Since: Feb 2012
BronzeStar
First hand in a cash game.

think i played it right but the A on the river scared me so i went all in, as i had half my stack in the pot anyway.

Should i of bet less and got some value?

http://

Last edited by Atowns89; Wed Jul 04, 2012 at 04:58 PM..

Old
Wed Jul 04, 2012, 05:04 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
***moved to better fitting forum JWK24***

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Wed Jul 04, 2012, 09:30 PM
(#3)
I'd have bet bigger pre-flop. Facing a std raise and a caller with being out of position I am going to make it between $3.20 to 4.00 to go instead of $2.50. I like to make them pay to draw out on me.

Nothing wrong with a 60% of pot flop bet since you'd have to over bet the flop to chase out a flush draw and you are giving a chance for a jack to make a mistake.

If you were scared of the Ace why bet just 40% of the pot. If it is an ace with the flush draw make them pay, They are a 3:1 dog and you are giving them a bit over 3:1 here. If you bet at least 75% of the pot they are making a mistake to call. If you bet larger before then a shove would be called for here.

Your river bet is only going to be called if you are beat but checking may invoke an attempt to take it away by representing an Ace but it is the best option.

Old
Thu Jul 05, 2012, 07:20 PM
(#4)
(Head Trainer)
Hi Atowns,

I agree with Joe on checking the river to let him try and rep the ace if he doesn't have it.

I also favor a larger preflop 3b in this situation, 3-3.50 for me, for value. The other thing I may have done different was the turn line... $5 into $13.35 is a bit small. A nice line here (especially against an aggressive player) is to check-raise all in. When you check the turn it screams AK, and aggressive players in position may bomb the turn. If they have showdown value vs. AK, something like TT, they'll probably fold to the turn bet often but check back the turn, and call a river bet, guaranteeing 2 streets of value from 2nd pair type showdown value hands (assuming an ace or king doesn't river). So I'd say depending on the opponent (and on these stacks), I would either bet more on the turn, or check-raise all in.

Dave

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com