Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Poker Education & Beginners Questions /

First deposit and real cash games noobie!

Old
First deposit and real cash games noobie! - Thu Jul 05, 2012, 06:26 AM
(#1)
Since: Jun 2012
Hey guys,

Ive just deposited $45 to my account, whcih is around €35, I was playing for 3 hours in $1.50 sit and go's, did 2 9 man NL Hold'm, 1 27 man and 1 heads up, all at $1.50

So after 3 hours of play i ended on $45.01 :/ I had some bad beats, and lucky hands, thats how poker goes.

Now i know im only starting off, plan on passing the core test in 3 hours when i can do it. But what im asking is

1. Should I start on Sit n Go's
2. How much of my bankroll should I use, im using less that 10% as the core course said I should use.
3. How different is Cash games to Sit n go's and tournys??

Sorry for the noobie questions and if im using the right wording

Any feedback would be great

Old
Thu Jul 05, 2012, 10:32 AM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi TerboMivec!

Starting with sng's is perfectly fine. If those are the type of games that you're comfortable with, then there is nothing wrong with starting there.

For bankroll, I'm on the conservative side and I use 100 buy-ins for both MTT and SNG. That way, when a variance run hits (like I'm going thru now actually) you will still have a bankroll left. Be ready for runs where you will go 20-30 games in a row, without getting ITM.

Cash games are a totally different animal from tourneys. There are some differences in strategies and a player will want to be sure to use bankroll management here too... along with learning the differences.

Hope this helps.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Starting out - Thu Jul 05, 2012, 12:12 PM
(#3)
We all started out not knowing the basics and had a lot of beginners questions. Andy has done a bankroll builder series that you might want to look at. Start at session #17 If you are on a tight budget and do not want to make another deposit, you probably should be more conservative than his suggestions.

Starting with SNGs is a good idea on a limited budget as they are available for as little as 2 cents. For ring games ou should buy in for $2 in the 2NL lowest stakes level. With SNGs there is much less deep stack post flop play. This makes the play much simpler and therefore easier for the beginner to develop enough skill to start winning.

3 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Thu Jul 05, 2012, 05:17 PM
(#4)
Cheers guys, Sorry for being a noob again be whats 2NL??

Old
Thu Jul 05, 2012, 05:20 PM
(#5)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerboMivec View Post
Cheers guys, Sorry for being a noob again be whats 2NL??
2NL is a 1 cent/2 cent blind no-limit ring game.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Thu Jul 05, 2012, 05:57 PM
(#6)
Ok thanks

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com