Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

on losing an enormous amount of chips from the blinds

Old
on losing an enormous amount of chips from the blinds - Fri Jul 06, 2012, 01:23 AM
(#1)
Since: Oct 2010
Hi, gang.

I stopped playing sngs recently mainly because I did't have more patience to play through 3 or even 2 hours straight and ended up donking miself out of the tourneys for min cashes at best, thus i decided to start playing something else before my bankroll was completely bust--not that I was rich or something like that. So a few days ago, with 20 bucks left (yes, I had to lose the 180ish that took me a while to build to realize that something was wrong), I started out with the 0.02 zoom tables, but the swingyness (lost like 10 more bucks) got me playing at the normal fullring tables. As I decided to play cashgames I started out a holdem manager 2 trial, and table ninja as well. After 25k (yeah, Ive been playing at as many tables as I may play with my chips) hands I've got very interesting and alarming results with the HM2 analisys tool. Seems like I've been losing a ridiculous amount of chips from the small and big blinds. Also, the graphs show me that I have a very high vpip for playing from sb, and very low vpip from the bb. I'm losing a bit from early positions too, but not nearly as much as from the blinds, so I'm not really worried about that wright now. Or shoould I?

So here comes the everlasting question, how profitable, or at least less spewy, could I expect to be from the blinds. I can be sure to have been playing bad from the blids--and I'm already looking throuhg some playing from the blinds matereal-- but what sould I expect? I'm posting the winnings in postition graph, the vpip in position, and the overall winnings at 9max 0.02 (and, no, it's not a brag).

I'll be happy to hear any thoughts on this matter or anything else you see in these graphs. Thanks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Report.jpg (8.5 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg Results.jpg (12.4 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg vpip.jpg (9.1 KB, 7 views)

Last edited by labs22; Fri Jul 06, 2012 at 01:31 AM..

Old
Fri Jul 06, 2012, 01:55 AM
(#2)
Since: Jan 2012
Hey labs.. I guess you should tighten up your range when playing in the blinds, since you're 1st or 2nd to act after the flop.

I play 6max micro cash games as well, and I lose alot in the blinds (big blinds almost double of the small blinds) but the rest of the positions more then make up for it (thankfully)... Still +ve for my bankroll (for cash games anyway) :P

Anyways, do look up some of the videos for cash games e.g. frosty, xflix.. Reckon they are really helpful and give you an insight to how the pros n winning players play their hands and thought processes for position, betsizing, etc..

Best of luck at the tables and hope this helps.

wikked76

Old
Fri Jul 06, 2012, 02:33 AM
(#3)
Since: Oct 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by wikked76 View Post
Hey labs.. I guess you should tighten up your range when playing in the blinds, since you're 1st or 2nd to act after the flop.

I play 6max micro cash games as well, and I lose alot in the blinds (big blinds almost double of the small blinds) but the rest of the positions more then make up for it (thankfully)... Still +ve for my bankroll (for cash games anyway) :P

Anyways, do look up some of the videos for cash games e.g. frosty, xflix.. Reckon they are really helpful and give you an insight to how the pros n winning players play their hands and thought processes for position, betsizing, etc..

Best of luck at the tables and hope this helps.

wikked76
Thanks for the tips, wikked. I'm watching Langolier's series on defending the blinds as I type, and I'm sure to watch again all other casgame videos I can for this week.

Old
Fri Jul 06, 2012, 07:12 AM
(#4)
Since: Nov 2011
hi labs, a common mistake i have seen people make to often is overplaying what they have learnt.

Defending the blinds for example is not an issue i even worry about unless i do have a hand to do so or the player/players involved in the pot i have specific reads on.

You will find most of your problems will be down to one of the variaty of different times of tilt or mindset.

looking for the answers in software for example like hm and so on are not the way forward,maybe you should try only one table at a time.

Certainly watch the training vids on here there is usefull stuff, reset your game by playing text book acb poker,playing tight and only playing premium hands until your game settles.

hope this helps m8t

Old
Fri Jul 06, 2012, 11:07 AM
(#5)
Since: Jun 2010
(Head Trainer)
Hi labs,

Regarding the huge negative numbers (relative to other positions) that is normal... remember you are posting money, out of position, with a random hand... putting money in the pot out of position with large numbers of garbage hands is never going to be profitable. If you factor out the cost of the blinds it will give you a better idea of whether or not your losing money when you choose to stay involved in the hands. If you're losing money from EP you are probably doing so from the blinds as well though. Step 1 is going to be to tighten up in EP (and stop limping in).

Quote:
Also, the graphs show me that I have a very high vpip for playing from sb, and very low vpip from the bb.
This is because at 2NL there's so much more limping and passive play in general. In the BB you are often checking your option or folding to a raise (no VPIP), but in the SB you are completing way too loose in limped pots (VPIP). You can filter for this to see the effect... set filters to SB position, preflop action facing player unopened, 1 limper, or 2+ limpers, and VPIP = true, then change VPIP = false (not sure of the exact filters on HM2 but I assume it's similar to HM1). You will probably find this is a slow leak that's costing you a lot of chips.

GL with the ongoing analysis, keep up the good work

Dave

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com