Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

STT $1,50, A6s, good push from Late Postion?

Old
STT $1,50, A6s, good push from Late Postion? - Sun Jul 08, 2012, 02:18 PM
(#1)
Since: Feb 2012
Sorry, this hand was deleted by its owner

It's a tight table, thought was a good oportunity to steal some chips. What do you think about?

Last edited by ahcrata; Sun Jul 08, 2012 at 02:22 PM..

Old
Sun Jul 08, 2012, 03:08 PM
(#2)
Since: Jul 2010
5BB, a suited Ace, it gets folded round, 4 players to get through, chips worth about 40% of your stack already in the middle. Shove baby shove!

Unusually tight tourney to get to this blind level with only one player down, another good reason to get it in.

Rob.

Old
Sun Jul 08, 2012, 03:13 PM
(#3)
Thank you for the tip. GL

Old
Sun Jul 08, 2012, 03:15 PM
(#4)
:-)

Old
Sun Jul 08, 2012, 04:59 PM
(#5)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi ahcrata!

With this being a STT, I need to get into a top 3 chip position to get ITM, so I need to be looking for spots to accumulate chips.
Being at a very tight table, the best way to do this if I'm not getting premium hands, is to steal from late position. Since the table is tight, there is a higher chance that all of the opps will fold and I'll be able to pick up the blinds. With a hand like A6s, if I am called, I do have a hand that has playability too.
When it's folded to me here, my std raise for 150/300 blinds is to 2.5BB+1BB for each limper (750 chips). However, this is well over 1/3 of my remaining stack (committment point for the hand), so I'd rather shove than raise to 750. I'm committed to the pot, so I want to make any opp that may call pay the maximum before they could see if they hit a part of the flop.
I like the steal opportunity here and would shove to do so, however, since it's a tight table, I'm expecting an opp to be holding a bigger ace or a pair if I'm called, which is exactly what happens.

I want to be in this type of situation and this is a great example of why bankroll management is so important. I want to be able to make plays like this, which will be profitable in the long run, without damaging my bankroll.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sun Jul 08, 2012, 05:06 PM
(#6)
What is the push range in this situation? What if I am the caller, which hands I must call?

Old
Sun Jul 08, 2012, 05:20 PM
(#7)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahcrata View Post
What is the push range in this situation? What if I am the caller, which hands I must call?
Hi ahcrata!

That's going to depend on the actual individuals at the table and how each is playing.
I'd tend to start with broadway aces, suited aces and pairs, but it would vary depending on the exact opps behind me and what notes I had on them or what they've shown. I may shove wider or tighter than this, but it'll depend on the opps, their tendencies and their chip stacks.

If I had to call a shove, I want a much better hand (it takes a better hand to call a shove, than to shove with). If the opp that shoved was playing very tight, I'd probably want AK+, QQ+ to call, and maybe not even AK, as I may want a made hand.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sun Jul 08, 2012, 05:23 PM
(#8)
Good question. I always have problems with calling in this type of situation.

From the point of view of the guy who did call you I guess it depends on how he views you. If I see a player as tight I'd be wanting A Qos Maybe A J suited to feel happy about a call. Normally once I get down to about 6 or 7BB my calling range is opening up but in this case although your caller is around this mark so are most of the others at the table; he is not a noticeably short stack. I'd be interested to see what better players than myself have to say on the subject.

Why do I feel that the initials ICM are heading towards this thread?

Rob.

Old
Sun Jul 08, 2012, 05:26 PM
(#9)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWK24 View Post
Hi ahcrata!

That's going to depend on the actual individuals at the table and how each is playing.
I'd tend to start with broadway aces, suited aces and pairs, but it would vary depending on the exact opps behind me and what notes I had on them or what they've shown. I may shove wider or tighter than this, but it'll depend on the opps, their tendencies and their chip stacks.

If I had to call a shove, I want a much better hand (it takes a better hand to call a shove, than to shove with). If the opp that shoved was playing very tight, I'd probably want AK+, QQ+ to call, and maybe not even AK, as I may want a made hand.

John (JWK24)
Wow there you go. Clearly my ranges start off way too loose and go rapidly down hill from there.

Rob.

Old
Sun Jul 08, 2012, 05:34 PM
(#10)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi Rob!

They could be much looser for shoving or calling. If the opp was loose, then I'll call with a MUCH wider range. If I had loose opps left behind me, I could also shove much wider. The key will be how the opps at the table are reacting.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sun Jul 08, 2012, 05:46 PM
(#11)
Does the slightly unusual situation have an effect? The fact that there are so many players left at such a high blind level and so everyone is getting very shallow.

Rob.

Old
Sun Jul 08, 2012, 05:58 PM
(#12)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinQQQ View Post
Does the slightly unusual situation have an effect? The fact that there are so many players left at such a high blind level and so everyone is getting very shallow.

Rob.
That's most likely meaning that everyone is playing pretty tight, so I'd want to call a shove with a much tighter range, as it's more likely an opp that would push before me has a real hand.
However, if I'm say on the button and it's folded to me, I'll shove wider, as i've got a better chance of them folding.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com