Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

Prem League

Old
Prem League - Sun Jul 08, 2012, 05:03 PM
(#1)
Since: Jun 2010

What is my best bet here?
2 of the players to act are lag's one nit (sb) and BB is TAG

Grade b

I am always ready to learn although I do not always like being taught. ~Winston Churchill

13 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sun Jul 08, 2012, 05:38 PM
(#2)
Since: Jul 2010
I'd say you're running out of time. Are you going to get a better hand than this before the blinds come rolling over you? Yuk. I don't like all those big stacks waiting to gobble you up but i don't think you have a choice Push and pray.
Rob.

Old
Sun Jul 08, 2012, 05:42 PM
(#3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinQQQ View Post
I'd say you're running out of time. Are you going to get a better hand than this before the blinds come rolling over you? Yuk. I don't like all those big stacks waiting to gobble you up but i don't think you have a choice Push and pray.
Rob.

Although to be fair I've never played one of these league things so i don't know how much difference hanging on for the points makes.

Rob.

Old
Sun Jul 08, 2012, 05:47 PM
(#4)
Not sure where it was in the tourney , Making the paid positions can make a points difference and then after that final table is key.

I guess at this spot We are in the positive points but not the money. maybe DANRT can let us know as its a hand he has made a note of.

Grade b

I am always ready to learn although I do not always like being taught. ~Winston Churchill

13 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sun Jul 08, 2012, 05:51 PM
(#5)
Well I guess you have four hands left before you're effectively all in so points or not I think I'd be shoving (cursing the fool that invented this stupid game all the while). Like the Churchill quote.
Rob.

Old
Sun Jul 08, 2012, 08:45 PM
(#6)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi Grade b!

Are you ITM? The reason that I ask it is that priority 1 in any of the league games is to get ITM to get the extra league points. I don't care how many chips I have, I need to get ITM, even if it's with just 1 chip left.

The one way that I might be able to fold a suited A with 3BB is if I'm on the exact bubble and would get ITM immediately from folding, where I'd miss it if I played the hand and lost.

If I'm already ITM or I need chips to get ITM, I'm looking for any hand to shove with... pair, any A, any broadway, suited connectors, suited 1-gap, etc. A7 suited definitely fits into this category, so I'm shoving here and taking my chances, and would do so against any type of opp.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sun Jul 08, 2012, 08:45 PM
(#7)
so the reason I posted this hand is the villian says i insulted him by playing it.

see here
http://www.pokerschoolonline.com/for...ether!&page=35

My mistake, you were suited. I pulled the hand just now to check. (and if you don`t know how to do this, I would be pleased to tell you since this is supposed to be friendly and all).

Now on to the math.

There is 2760 in the pot before you push, and your push adds another 3931 for a total of 6691
I already have 1320 in the pot and it costs me 2731 to win 6691

Or exactly 40%. I may or may not be behind here, I have you covered, and KQos plays in a 60/40 colnflip.

Plus I have the skill advantage - I came back to finish 29th - plus there is the necessity of me not folding here since I don't plan to be everyone's hand puppet in the coming months. I took me over a year to gain credibility as a result of my caution in the prior PSO, and I'm not doing that again.

So this is a snap-call for me here. With your stack here though, I would have waited for a better spot and pushed against smaller stacks and/or weaker opponents.

Given that our roles were reversed after this hand, I know that to be sound advice.
Relying on primitive rulesets like the one you quoted will only take you so far. I'm not saying it's wrong in most cases, but at this level of play there are (or SHOULD be) so many more variables involved in the decision that limiting your judgment to such rules will hinder your advancement in the long term.

(and if Dave reads this, yes, I finally understand 'odds-to-call'. I still find the concept of limited value but at least I finally get it, lol, and it is useful to use against people.)

Read more: General feedback thread: Let's improve pso together! - Page 35 - PokerSchoolOnline Forum http://www.pokerschoolonline.com/for...#ixzz2055pnT6n

End quote

a few things for danrt

1. you may well have the skill edge on me (as i finished behind you in 30th) but that is not going to play in an all in preflop situation.

2. yes you had me covered but you would be crippled with a weak call here

3. What range of hands did you put me on (i didn't assign any to any of you as i was going with the hand as its folded to me.)

4. why are you insulted by my play, i got my chips in with the best hand and was ahead on all streets

Grade b

13 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sun Jul 08, 2012, 08:53 PM
(#8)
i think we must be in the money here as 13 hands later i go out in 30th place.

13 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Mon Jul 09, 2012, 12:57 AM
(#9)
Since: Dec 2010
Hey Grade b,
If its folded to me in late position and there is more than 1/3 of my stack in the middle I am shoving almost ATC.
So I would snap shove here for sure, unless you are trying to money jump (or point jump).
Chuckkky

Old
Good play - Mon Jul 09, 2012, 01:14 AM
(#10)
Since: Jun 2012
BronzeStar
Wow, cool feature! Great to see your own hands replayed like this, huh? Hmm, which of mine get I get analysed (lol) ?

I read through this thread and my opinion is:
Your opponent lost the hand and got pissy about it afterwards? Put the reaction down to his being a sore loser.
I try to play as much by intuition and 'gut feeling' as I possibly can... we have all had AA cracked by garbage... when do you shove with JJ and when do you just call...? etc ... my point being that even if you get your money in with way the best of it pre-flop it doesn't mean your hand will hold. In this situation I would go with my instinct. The fact that you were very short stacked, and already ITM, would make the choice to shove a lot easier. Early on I would be careful with a suited A (although it's my fav hand), and look to be just calling and seeing a flop when I possibly can, but here I think it is correct to shove every time.
Unless you just had a real bad feeling about doing so....

Last edited by SothAAAA; Mon Jul 09, 2012 at 02:06 AM..

Old
Mon Jul 09, 2012, 02:06 AM
(#11)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi SothAAAA!

Welcome to the forum. Here's a link that will help to get you familiar with some of the things that PSO has to offer.
There are hand analysis sections for NLHE cash games, NLHE tourneys and for 'other games' (everything else). The replayer can be found from teh tools tab at the top of the page and there is a link there with the instructions for it. When you post a hand, please try to keep it to one hand per thread that you create, as it helps to keep the discussion of the hands clearer.

Good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Mon Jul 09, 2012, 04:19 AM
(#12)

Insulted? Wow I think he might explode if he saw my shoving range in this situation . Can I play him it might be fun.

Rob.

Old
Mon Jul 09, 2012, 04:55 AM
(#13)
Since: Dec 2010
This guy called me alot of names

Old
Mon Jul 09, 2012, 08:34 AM
(#14)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SothAAAA View Post
Wow, cool feature! Great to see your own hands replayed like this, huh? Hmm, which of mine get I get analysed (lol) ?

Hi SothAAAA,

It is a good feature and i recommend putting hands that make you stop and think "oh should I".

Also you don't have to play the whole hand if you only put up to where you need to make a decision then you get the opions of every one with out then been influenced by the actual outcome.

At the time there was no question in my mind. But JWK brought up a very good point, this is league where points are totaled after the end of the month and i could have just nitted up for extra points.

how does every one else play the prem league? I guess as i don't play many of them like i would any other MTT.

Grade b

13 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Mon Jul 09, 2012, 10:44 AM
(#15)
BronzeStar
hey John

Thank you.
I shall check out the link and think about which of my hands is best to have analysed.

Old
Mon Jul 09, 2012, 10:58 AM
(#16)
BronzeStar
hi Grade b,
Thanks. A good tip.
Yes the points are defo a factor in the decision. If you hit and double up, or otherwise win the pot, then you can nit out for even more points. Axs is not a great hand but it is stronger than a lot of hands. I think in that situation I would consider that either I bust out here or get further into the points, and go with my feeling one way or the other.

Old
Mon Jul 09, 2012, 02:16 PM
(#17)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckkky View Post
This guy called me alot of names
To be fair Chuckkky I think I'd call you a lot of names in this situation. Having said that 5BB I'm getting to the stage where i'd shove if they only gave me one card.
Rob.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com