Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Poker Education & Beginners Questions /

Odds questions

Old
Odds questions - Mon Jul 09, 2012, 04:13 PM
(#1)
Since: Apr 2012
I've watched Dave's vid about odds today and i got few questions !

-Express odds,if they dont match each other,does it mean you are in a EV- situation?

-Calculating express odds w/ imm odds(by slide 4).The example was if villian was all-in by the flop for 100 chips and we are on a flushdraw,but what if he has enough chips and will bet for example on the flop 25 and on the turn 35 and we still didnt complete our flush? I thought you had to make a calculation like this:imm odds for flush on the turn to river is 4.1:1,we will lose 35 chips (we will fold at the river if we dont hit) and if we make a flush,we will win 60 chips in 1 time,so our net profit/loss is (60-35)/5.1=4,9 chips?
Correct me please if im wrong !!

Thanks guys

Old
Mon Jul 09, 2012, 04:52 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi hbhuang341!

If there could be betting on both the flop and the turn, then I need to calculate the odds for each street.
On the flop, I have 2% equity for each out to the turn, so I then compare my pot equity for the flop bet and hand equity to see one street only. If the hand equity is higher, then I'll call.
I then re-evaluate and do the same thing on the turn. 2% per out and also see what the pot equity % is. If the hand equity is higher, then I'll call.

The only time that I can look at using 4% equity per out on the flop is IF there would be no betting on the turn.

What determines whether or not a play is + or -EV are the odds percentages. If the hand equity % is higher then it is a +EV play. If the pot equity is higher then it's a -EV play.

Hope this helps.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Mon Jul 09, 2012, 05:23 PM
(#3)
Since: Apr 2012
JWK,could you give 2 examples for the first answer,maybe it will come clear how the way you use it

Old
Mon Jul 09, 2012, 05:40 PM
(#4)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi hbhuang!

I just put an example for an open-ended straight draw into your other thread.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com