Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

NLHE 10BB KQo What is the correct play here?

Old
NLHE 10BB KQo What is the correct play here? - Tue Jul 10, 2012, 06:23 AM
(#1)
Since: Jun 2012
BronzeStar

ITM, but I had been nursing a short stack for a long time at this point. I had just moved to this table about half a dozen hands ago so I had no real info on any of the villains.
What is the correct play here? Was it right to shove or should I have folded?
(sorry I couldn't figure how to pause at the point of decision... next time hopefully)

Last edited by SothAAAA; Tue Jul 10, 2012 at 06:28 AM..

Old
Tue Jul 10, 2012, 09:43 AM
(#2)
Since: Jul 2010
I have to confess that at this stage of a tourney with 10-11BB I tend to be looking for any excuse to get my chips into the middle. But having said that I don't think that this is it.

Lacking reads on my opps, facing a raise from the big stack (albeit in a steal position) plus a three bet from SB, K Qos loses its allure for me. The little voices in my ear whispering 'shove, monkey shove' fall silent.

In a nutshell I think that this is one of those hands that relies a lot on fold equity to gain value and here you have none. I would expect to be behind one or both of my opps here and quite possibly dominated, although if this were a micro stakes tourney then I might revise that assessment. I don't think you made a terrible play, I think the SB made a terrible play unless he has some kind of read on the big stack. But I do think that you still have time to wait for a better spot.

Rob.

Old
Tue Jul 10, 2012, 09:57 AM
(#3)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi SothAAAA!

Reads here would help, as it would be very helpful to know whether or not this would be a HU pot or a 3-way pot if I did decide to shove (KQ plays much worse in a 3-way pot). Without reads and seeing that the initial raiser has a much larger chip stack, I'd tend to think that they will probably come along and make it a 3-way pot.

To decide what to do, I need to look at calling/shoving/folding. If I call, it will cost me over 1/2 my stack, so this option is ruled out immediately.

If I shove, then it will cost me 16721 chips into a pot that will be 40742 if only the 3-bettor calls (41%) or a pot of 55863 if both call (29.9%).

To get my hand equity, I go to pokerstove and will use a top 15% hand for the bigstack and a much tighter range for the other opp (I'll use a top 6% hand) as it takes a much tighter range to be basically all-in against two opps. From pokerstove, this gives me 24.3% equity in a 3-way pot.
If the initial raiser drops, then I'll use a top 10% hand for the 3-bettor if I'm heads-up. When I do this, I get a hand equity of 39% for the HU pot.

If it's heads-up against the 3-bettor, I have 39% hand equity against 41% pot equity, so the correct decision would be a marginal fold due to the pot equity being slightly higher.
If it would be a 3-way pot, I have 24.3% hand equity against 29.9% pot equity, which makes the correct decision here a definte fold.

I'm mucking KQ here since in both possible situations the pot equity is higher than my hand equity and will look for a better spot when I'm in position or with better cards to shove with.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Tue Jul 10, 2012, 12:10 PM
(#4)
BronzeStar
hey Robin,
Thanks for the response.
Yes that makes sense. I guess that's why I asked about this, coz it just didn't feel right at the time, but I did it anyway I agree that the SB's play looks pretty loose.
It was in a $1.10 tourney (NLHE 6H +1k). At this point there were 5 tables left and I was the tourney short stack. I had been short for so long that perhaps I was just frustrated.

Last edited by SothAAAA; Tue Jul 10, 2012 at 12:13 PM..

Old
Tue Jul 10, 2012, 12:14 PM
(#5)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi SothAAAA!

I'd much rather be in a 3-way pot with QJs than KQo, due to the extra hand equity for hitting a flush.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Tue Jul 10, 2012, 12:26 PM
(#6)
BronzeStar
hey John,
Thank you. Interesting point about KQ not being too good against more than one opponent in this sort of situation. I will bear that in mind for next time. So the math says the right play was to fold... darn.
Okay, so why did I play it? I already felt it was the wrong move, but did it anyway. The large stack had raised, the SB re-raised... god, what was I thinking? I guess it was due to tiredness. It had been a real struggle surviving ITM and having made it to a respectable place in the $ perhaps I had given up?

Old
Tue Jul 10, 2012, 12:30 PM
(#7)
BronzeStar
hi John,
lol nice of you to mention that. Jeez, nuts on the turn, busted on the river. disgusting.

Old
Tue Jul 10, 2012, 02:44 PM
(#8)
Since: Jan 2010
I could'nt have done the maths (thanks john), but although you are looking for a spot to get it in, you have to hate this one (which I think you did)
the BB has past you next hand and I would be looking to blind steal (all-in) fairly loosly the next two hands with 3300 in the pot each orbit
my thoughts fwiw

Old
Tue Jul 10, 2012, 03:26 PM
(#9)
BronzeStar
hey Jonny,
Yes, nice thinking. That would have been a much better plan

Old
Wed Jul 11, 2012, 04:50 AM
(#10)
Since: Jul 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by SothAAAA View Post
hey Robin,
Thanks for the response.
Yes that makes sense. I guess that's why I asked about this, coz it just didn't feel right at the time, but I did it anyway I agree that the SB's play looks pretty loose.
It was in a $1.10 tourney (NLHE 6H +1k). At this point there were 5 tables left and I was the tourney short stack. I had been short for so long that perhaps I was just frustrated.
Hi Soth.

I know what you mean about getting frustrated, I went out of a 360 man final table myself the other day pushing K Qos in the wrong spot. It's such a tempting hand and so much easier to resist the temptation when its someone else's play.

Rob.

Old
Wed Jul 11, 2012, 05:29 AM
(#11)
Since: Jul 2011
I agree when u have been nursing a shortie for a while and see a marginal hand in what you think is a good spot for a shove its hard to stop and think for a sec. the small blinds raise would most probly have got me off kq in that spot but ther would be arguments to shove if you wanted to take the tourney down.

Old
Wed Jul 11, 2012, 11:22 AM
(#12)
BronzeStar
Thanks, I appreciate that.
True, that was a part of my thought process. It looks like it will be a big pot and if I can win it then I would be in a decent position to push on for the final table.
Congrats on the Virt-bracelet!!

Old
Wed Jul 11, 2012, 11:43 AM
(#13)
Since: Jul 2011
cheers soth good luck at the tables

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com