Top top to a over bet shove

Old
Top top to a over bet shove - Tue Jul 10, 2012, 12:30 PM
(#1)
Since: Jun 2010

Teco had just joined the table never come across him before

what would you do here?

Grade b

I am always ready to learn although I do not always like being taught. ~Winston Churchill

13 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Wed Jul 11, 2012, 06:20 AM
(#2)
Since: Oct 2010
Hi Grade b,

Last edited by rule110; Fri Jul 27, 2012 at 12:32 AM..

Old
Wed Jul 11, 2012, 07:15 AM
(#3)
Since: Oct 2010
Oh, there

Last edited by rule110; Fri Jul 27, 2012 at 12:32 AM..

Old
Wed Jul 11, 2012, 01:14 PM
(#4)
very nice summery rule 110,

have to say most of that did not go though my head as i decided to play or fold.

I still don't have many hands with him as he left shortly after this hand.

i like the thought about the bluffing more at first when new to a table.

Grade b

I am always ready to learn although I do not always like being taught. ~Winston Churchill

13 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Fri Jul 13, 2012, 08:58 AM
(#5)
Since: Nov 2011
hey B, 888 springs to mind, i would rule out the opps possibilities of a K as i have one,

I would rule out aces as no reraise

good fold i think you were dominated

Old
Fri Jul 13, 2012, 10:18 PM
(#6)
Since: Aug 2010
BronzeStar
hi Grade B.

Your raise and all those calls set up a very low SPR going to the flop that favors you stacking off with Top/top far more often than not on a pretty dry board.

the fact is a donk shover like this is rarely going to hold AA in a passive/cally table dynamic, and he'd be much more likely to raise that.

this is a pretty solid spot for him to check a "big hand", as you are quite likely to C bet here a lot, and his jam looks like he is trying to get a fold to take down the pot.

If the moeny were deeper, or if you had a read saying this guy is on the tighter and more passive side, a fold IS possible, but in most spots you gotta play this out after creating that big pot on this depth of moeny.

hope it helps.

-JDean

Double Bracelet Winner

Old
Fri Jul 13, 2012, 10:52 PM
(#7)
ty everyone,

I note that Jdean has now metioned SPr in two of his posts of my hands time to go back and rewatch those videos of Daves

I don't get it!!!

Its not ok to play top top if i bet light pre but if i over bet pre it is ok

arrrrr my brain hurts!!! (maybe i'll wait for sunday to look at that.)

13 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sun Jul 15, 2012, 07:12 PM
(#8)
Since: Aug 2010
BronzeStar
Hi Grade B...

SPR in a nut shell...

the BIGGER the pot is in relation to the chips (meaning a low SPR) you have left in the effective stack (the smallest remaining in the hand), the WEAKER the hand you really need to feel ok in stacking off with.

this is effected by:

- board texture
(the more coordinated the board, the higher likelihood a 1 pair hand may not be good.)

- opponent tendencies
(tight/passive opps raising on an UNCOORDINATED board may mean less likelihood they are not on a monster like a set. Loose/Aggro opps, who habitually play draws strongly, may only hold a DRAW on even highly coordinated boards)

- number of opps left to act in the hand (even those who checked for "relative position").

(the more opps left in the hand, the LOWER the SPR should be to consider stacking off with a 1 pair hand. HU an SPR under about 6 is ok to think of it with a hand liek top/top. vs 2 opps, you'd really want it more like 3 or 4 at most. Vs more opps than that, you'd want an even lower SPR to go on a 1 pair hand).

Here is a good link that might help supplement Dave's great videoes on SPR: http://www.thepokerbank.com/strategy/general/spr/

SPR first appeared in the Flynn, Mehta, and Miller book, "Professional No Limit Hold 'em, Vol I" and this is still a great reference for the important cash game concept of SPR.

hope it helps!

-JDean

Double Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com