Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

bad beat or bad play?

Old
bad beat or bad play? - Tue Jul 10, 2012, 09:35 PM
(#1)
Since: Apr 2012
Hi,

This is my first forum post. I'm hoping to get some feedback on a hand I played tonight in my poker league. It is a four table tournament.

I was on the waiting list so got in after the first level, my chips having been blinded until I sat down. Blinds were 50/100. I folded the first two hands.

On the third hand, I was in the big blind and got dealt KK. Players folded around until one behind the dealer who raised to 300. Dealer called. SB folded.

I raised to 600 which was called by both remaining players.

Flop came up J97.

I raised 1000. It was called by the player behind the dealer. The dealer folded.

Turn is a 3.

I raised 2000.

The villain goes all in. I call. He turns up JT.

River comes an 8. And that was my game.

Did I play this badly or did I suffer a bad beat.

Thanks for any comments.

d.

Old
Tue Jul 10, 2012, 10:07 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
Hi themiw,

You know that both statements can be true.

I guess this is live and i'm afraid i have zero live tourny experience so please feel free to take the advice posted after this.

I think preflop you made an error, you should have bet more to give players pause at lease before calling with speculative hands min raise is not going to put off a lot of players.

Is 1000 half pot bet? I would probly bet between 1/2 to 3/4 here

After that yes it was a bad beat.

Grade b

I am always ready to learn although I do not always like being taught. ~Winston Churchill

13 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Tue Jul 10, 2012, 10:14 PM
(#3)
Since: Apr 2012
Hi Grade b,

Thanks for the response. 1000 was just over 1/2 the pot and it was a live game.

I should clarify that I was wondering if the bad play was on my part, not his, and you're absolutely right the statements are not mutually exclusive.

I wonder if a check on my part after the flop might have been a more correct move but I don't think I would have folded regardless of what he did.

But should I have folded? Given the result, yes. But on the information available at the time?

d.

Old
Tue Jul 10, 2012, 10:38 PM
(#4)
their is no point in that hand that i think you should have folded, usless your opponent happened to flash you AA

Grade b

I am always ready to learn although I do not always like being taught. ~Winston Churchill

13 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Wed Jul 11, 2012, 12:55 AM
(#5)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
***moved to better fitting forum JWK24***

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Wed Jul 11, 2012, 10:07 AM
(#6)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi themiw!

Welcome to the forum.

With KK in the BB, since I'm going to have to play the rest of the hand out of position, I'm going to 3-bet here preflop. The raise size that I use here is to between 3X the previous bet (raise to 900) and a pot-sized raise (raise to 1050) and I'd pick to raise to 1k. A key for me here is what is my stack size and what are the opp's stack sizes. If raising to 1k is over 1/3 of my remaining chips, then I'm pot committed and instead of raising to 1k, I'd shove preflop.

The flop brings a coordinated board. Was there a possible flush draw along with a straight draw? This would be info that I would need, as I would want to size my flop bet so that I could price out any possible draws for both opponents. With two opps in the hand, I would make a flop bet of 1/2 pot (925) if there is not a possible flush draw and 2/3 pot (1250) if there is a possible flush draw.

The turn brings what should be a blank, but here again, is there a possible flush draw that I need to price out? With only one opp in here, I'll make a 1/2 pot bet here (1925). When the opp shoves, I'm most likely calling, but would need to know the stack sizes to determine whether it's the correct play or not.

The opp had 9 outs (two J, three 10's and four 8's), so they have a 36% chance to win the hand after the flop and an 18% chance to win on the river and unfortunately they hit one of them.

I would definitely not check the flop, as I do not want to give the opp a free card that could possibly beat me, as I want to make drawing at me a -EV play for them.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com