Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

$11 60k KJos again putting myself in trouble

Old
$11 60k KJos again putting myself in trouble - Fri Jul 13, 2012, 08:08 AM
(#1)
Since: Nov 2011
http://www.pokerschoolonline.com/rep...ash=3600022DFF

hi all,again i put myself in trouble and see why you would muck hands like kj etc in early mid posistion.

OK as you can imagine the table was pretty tag, sb i had seen try make a few moves.

MY preflop play i know know after watching the play back was terrible,

My question to you is on the flop should i have jammed?

I think the opp still calls though,

should i have just flat called the turn with a player to act?

Old
Fri Jul 13, 2012, 01:14 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi holdem!

With KJo from mid position and over 26BB, I'm going to muck here and look for a better situation, either with better cards or when I'm in position.

If I did play the hand, I'd open for a std raise (3BB+1BB for each limper), so I'd raise to 300. Open limping is something that can be a huge chip leak in tourneys and I do not want to do it. If the hand is not one that I'll make a std raise, then I'll muck.

The flop gives me a double gutshot straight draw, but I only have K high as of now and there is a flush draw that could beat me even if I hit a straight. Since I do not have a made hand and I am definitely not the favorite in the hand, I don't want to bet the flop and I would only call a bet if I'm priced in to do so (would have to be a bet much smaller than 1/2 pot to make it a viable play to call). I want to see a free card, to see if I hit one of the two straights and do not want to make a -EV play to draw at my possible outs. Jamming the flop would be the worst play that I could make.

The turn gives me the nut flush, but there IS a flush draw out there still. This time the SB makes a small bet, less than 1/4 pot, that if I call, will price them in to draw to a flush. I do not want to let this happen, as since I now have a made hand, I want to make their draw a -EV play to make.
I absolutely need to raise here, but I don't want to shove, as there is a chance that I could not have the best hand after the river..... so I want to raise enough that it makes it a -EV play for the opponent to draw, with as little risk to me as possible. There is a flush draw (9 outs) but if someone has a set, they would have 10 outs to improve, so I need to price out 10 outs.
To price this out against one opponent, I need to have them call a 1/2 pot bet, so therefore, I'll raise 1/2 pot (raise to 845) then re-evaluate after the river.
If I bet less than 845, then I'll make their draw a +EV play, but I don't want to bet too much, as I don't want my tourney life on the line until I know that I've got the best hand after the entire board runs out.

If the opp calls on the turn and I see the river club, then I'll use my read on the opp to make my decision if they bet. If they're playing tight, especially if I see them playing suited cards routinely, then I'll muck. If not, I'll try to get to showdown for as few chips as possible. I would not shove the river with 3 clubs on the board here.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com