Home / Community / Forum / Poker Community / Live Game Sweats and Online Tournaments /

live 4k gauranteed tourney

Old
live 4k gauranteed tourney - Sat Jul 14, 2012, 05:58 AM
(#1)
Since: Aug 2011
had a live game at the club tonite came in around 27/ 140+ field pretty dissappointed run well into the mid stage of the tourney and then 2 hand losses back to back saw me sitting with 35k chips and card dead blinds were at 2000/4000 no antes and i picked up pocket 8s in late position, player utg min raised, 2 folders, then directly to my right shoves all in for 65k leaving me to decide call when obviously behind or fold and wait,unfortunately i folded , utg called all in making it around a 100k pot,as the cards where flipped over utg showed ak off suit,player to my right shows AA the flop came Q 8 6 no one improved and the AA held up, sadly i know 88 in late position with under 10BB is a shove but calling a shove is a tougher decision, had i called im sitting with just over 100k and a pretty clear run to the final table , well i guess its like a good fishing story "you should have seen the one that got away " type thing

im sure everyone has thoughts about what they wouldve done in this position feel free to share yours, btw money started at 16th position so we were not far out of the money also this was my first live game ( regional championship) in a field this size so hoping to improve in the future

just ran it through pokerstove i am 19% equity aa is 70%+ and ak makes up the rest

Last edited by milehigh0874; Sat Jul 14, 2012 at 06:01 AM.. Reason: add info

Old
Sat Jul 14, 2012, 10:31 AM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
***moved to better fitting forum JWK24***

Hi milehigh!

I'm mucking the 8's there too. I would gladly shove them if it got around to me, but I'm not calling a shove with them.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
all in decision - Sat Jul 14, 2012, 11:00 AM
(#3)
Since: Jun 2010
To decide whether you should enter the pot you need to range your opponents. With 88 against 2 nits (playing 10 and 8 percent of hands) your equity is about 27%. If they were playing 50% and 30% your equity would be close to 40%. With a nearly 50% increase in your chances if these players are loose verses a couple of nits, you can see correctly ranging players might change your decision from fold to shove in many cases. The Langolier has three videos (3, 41, and 42) specifically about ranging opponent. Once you start to range your opponents accurately, then you have a good basis for making these types of decisions.

Hope this helps
Doug

3 Time Bracelet Winner

Last edited by bearxing; Sat Jul 14, 2012 at 11:07 AM.. Reason: add link

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com