Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

Tournament structures

Old
Tournament structures - Sat Jul 14, 2012, 06:34 AM
(#1)
Since: Apr 2012
Heey all ,

As everyone knows,there's the micro millions :P I've played tournament number5 and the first thing that i was surprised is the tournament structure.It was kinda fast and you cant afford to make any misstakes ,maybe because im a mttsng 90 man regular? Every time if the blinds goes up,i will calculate how much blinds i have and click the lobby to see what the avg stack is ,that is the first i do at such an big mtt and normal in a sng 90 man,i wont do that.At the very end,i made a min cash so i was satisfied hehe
So do you guys have any tips how to anylyze the tournament structures,because i also want to play the sunday storm etc

Thanks!

Old
Sat Jul 14, 2012, 09:45 AM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
Hi Hbhuang31,

You can look in the lobby of each tourny. Just click on the green box. I tend to look for

1. starting chips
2. time between blinds (i like 15 but a lot seem to be 10 now days)
3. what the blinds actually are and when does the ante kick in

After that I'm pretty much playing my game unless its the very near the bubble and I'm on life support or if its a league (then i will make differant plays to get more points rather than specfically a deep run.

I hope that helps

Grade b

I am always ready to learn although I do not always like being taught. ~Winston Churchill

13 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sat Jul 14, 2012, 01:13 PM
(#3)
Since: Jul 2011
I wont be playing any turbo tourneys in the micro millions series just the ten minute blind structures with so many participants imo its not a good spot to put myself in as you have no room for any mistakes big or small it makes sense to me to just play the non turbo structures. The deep stack structure makes up for this imo as regular tourneys have atleast 15 min blinds but your not starting as deep with only 3000 chips. i would have prefered 15 min blind levels with deep stacks this series but 10 min with 5k starting is fine so i will most likely play a few

Old
Sat Jul 14, 2012, 04:46 PM
(#4)
Since: Aug 2010
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbhuang341 View Post
Heey all ,

As everyone knows,there's the micro millions :P I've played tournament number5 and the first thing that i was surprised is the tournament structure.It was kinda fast and you cant afford to make any misstakes ,maybe because im a mttsng 90 man regular? Every time if the blinds goes up,i will calculate how much blinds i have and click the lobby to see what the avg stack is ,that is the first i do at such an big mtt and normal in a sng 90 man,i wont do that.At the very end,i made a min cash so i was satisfied hehe
So do you guys have any tips how to anylyze the tournament structures,because i also want to play the sunday storm etc

Thanks!

Hey, a couple of weeks ago after watching a 2 part ChewMe video series (Part 1, Part 2) I put together a little thingie for the Sunday Storm that incorporated some of the ideas he discussed in the videos for what we can do when card-dead, and when we've got a decent-sized stack: http://www.pokerschoolonline.com/for...thread**/page2

And then I've been watching another video on how we're supposed to be playing if we manage to put together a big stack (Middle and Late Stage Play), but gosh it's sure slow-going for various reasons (a lot of new concepts to absorb; heavy on the details; I keep running off to play games, have a sip of juice, pet my cat, etc, etc ... )

Interesting stuff tho! Hopefully I'll have a summary sheet of ideas for that one too, sooner rather than later?

Will let you know when I do!

Old
Sun Jul 15, 2012, 06:46 AM
(#5)
Since: Apr 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grade b View Post
Hi Hbhuang31,

You can look in the lobby of each tourny. Just click on the green box. I tend to look for

1. starting chips
2. time between blinds (i like 15 but a lot seem to be 10 now days)
3. what the blinds actually are and when does the ante kick in

After that I'm pretty much playing my game unless its the very near the bubble and I'm on life support or if its a league (then i will make differant plays to get more points rather than specfically a deep run.

I hope that helps

Grade b
I know,but does that have any affact on your playstyle or someting?

Old
Sun Jul 15, 2012, 01:58 PM
(#6)
Since: Aug 2010
BronzeStar
Hey, HB ... I was feeling like maybe going to the mall for a smoothie instead of playing a tourney, so I never got around to posting that second summary. I think I'm dragging my heels because i found the material a little complicated and am still trying to sort it out in my mind, so it wasn't in any shape to be interesting/informative anyways

But maybe you might find this helpful:

So for the Sunday Storm, (blinds+antes) = 2.4xbb.
And Chewme's standard raise from late position if folded to us = 2.bb

When (blinds+antes) > (the amount you have to put at risk to try to steal them), you only have to succeed 50% of the time to show a profit.

(Winnings for one successful try) > (The cost to try twice)

So a success rate of:
50% is about breakeven,
66% avoids getting blinded down,
75% actually builds your stack?

But then it gets kind of obvious, eh? I only tried this a little bit last time, and it was a bit 'hit or miss'. But when I'm sitting there at the table in tourneys, waiting for better cards, there always seem to be those one or two raisers who seem to be getting away with it, and are able to build their stack that way, so maybe more active blind-stealing is worth giving a shot, for those of us who don't do much of it, eh?

Hey, gl with the Storm!

Last edited by TrustySam; Sun Jul 15, 2012 at 02:13 PM..

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com