Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Poker Education & Beginners Questions /

Monster hands bad beats

Old
Monster hands bad beats - Sun Jul 15, 2012, 03:06 AM
(#1)
Since: Jun 2012
BronzeStar

The losses i have suffered on the river recently are madness.

Last edited by Horatio022; Sun Jul 15, 2012 at 10:41 AM..

Old
Sun Jul 15, 2012, 03:45 AM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi Horatio022!

The first and third ones need to be looked at for betting problems. By not making standard raises preflop (3BB+1BB for each limper), the opps in the hands are getting the odds that they need to draw to beat the monster hands. This can lead to more and more of a player's premium hands getting beat because the opps get to make a +EV play, when as a poker player, we always try to get the opps to make negative plays... and not positive ones.

I'd recommend starting with some of Dave's theory videos in the video section, especially numbers 3, 22, 23, 25, 36, 39, 40. These will be a great place for you to start.

Hope this helps.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sun Jul 15, 2012, 04:05 AM
(#3)
BronzeStar
Hey thanks for your feedback. Often when i get big hands like above i like to disguise it. I mean if i go all in with KK and AA and people fold, its a waste of a big hand. Im new to poker but im not new to mathmatics I spent a few hours watching spacegravys videos as well.

Last edited by Horatio022; Sun Jul 15, 2012 at 10:41 AM..

Old
Sun Jul 15, 2012, 11:44 AM
(#4)
Hi Horatio,

On a short table against a player who normally would raise first in but suddenly min bets or worse flats in position, it just screams AA.

If your not raising first in as a regular thing then you have a differant leak.

Grade b

I am always ready to learn although I do not always like being taught. ~Winston Churchill

13 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sun Jul 15, 2012, 12:12 PM
(#5)
BronzeStar
I dont think my playstyle is the problem here, losing time and time again to hands where i am highly probable to win is the problem.

Old
Sun Jul 15, 2012, 12:19 PM
(#6)
hi horatio,

sorry didn't reasise this was just a bad beat moan, given its not in the bad beat thread otherwise i would have replied.

Its probably a mix of both. We can't see the whole play, if its the case that this are just bad beats shake them off and move to the next torniment.

If you skill set is good over the long run of playing these torniments (500 games or so)

Good luck

Grade b

I am always ready to learn although I do not always like being taught. ~Winston Churchill

13 Time Bracelet Winner

Last edited by Grade b; Sun Jul 15, 2012 at 12:22 PM.. Reason: had not realised this was just a bad beat thread

Old
Sun Jul 15, 2012, 12:37 PM
(#7)
BronzeStar
Well i have done about 120 hyper turbo $1.50 9 mans now. My first block of 20 hyper turbos was my best run . This is puzzling considering since the first block of 20 i have studied more in depth spacegravy's vids, and put more thought into my strategy and not to mention the much greater experience i now have of these particular type of games.

Old
Sun Jul 15, 2012, 01:08 PM
(#8)
you may be studing spacegravys videos but would guess you are not really appling it.

I can't remember anywhere in the video where spacegravy says flat call with AA KK to get action.

Grade b.

13 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sun Jul 15, 2012, 01:20 PM
(#9)
Since: Apr 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grade b View Post
you may be studing spacegravys videos but would guess you are not really appling it.

I can't remember anywhere in the video where spacegravy says flat call with AA KK to get action.

Grade b.
lol well said gradeB...

Old
Sun Jul 15, 2012, 01:21 PM
(#10)
BronzeStar
Flat calling here worked though did it not?. They probably thought i was limping in rather than disguising a big hand. Obviously i dont play exactly how spacegravy says as i have my own style as well.

Old
Sun Jul 15, 2012, 01:25 PM
(#11)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horatio022 View Post
Flat calling here worked though did it not?. no it did not. They probably thought i was limping in rather than disguising a big hand. Obviously i dont play exactly how spacegravy says as i have my own style as well.
no. just no.

Old
Sun Jul 15, 2012, 01:45 PM
(#12)
BronzeStar
Success is going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm. Anyway i will try again another day.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com