Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

Shove or fold ?

Old
Shove or fold ? - Sun Jul 15, 2012, 12:42 PM
(#1)
Since: Jan 2012
Hey guys !
This is a $0.25 45-men.

I was geting short (10BB) and no good cards have come to me for a while. So I decided that TJs was a good shove, but later I realised that it wasn't lol. Not because of the result but certainly because I'm UTG. Should I hafe wait for better cards ? or I'd be getting to short after I had to post the BB and SB and should have shoved anyway ?
I think it was a really weak play from Seat 9 to just call ( as it was half of his stack ). And Seat 1 just min-raises which is awkward too.

Thanks

Old
Sun Jul 15, 2012, 12:47 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
you could wait for worse cards but better postionand be in a better spot maybe picking up the blinds or getting one of the blinds to call you weak.

Grade b

I am always ready to learn although I do not always like being taught. ~Winston Churchill

13 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sun Jul 15, 2012, 05:45 PM
(#3)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi fp_boss77!

Whether or not I've been getting cards should not play into my decisions at all. I need to base them on the current situation only. With JTs from UTG, I'm going to muck preflop here and look for a sitation with either better cards or when I'm in position.
With play as loose as it is in these quarter games, I'm not automatically going into shove/fold mode until I get closer to 5-6BB and not 10BB. Yes, I do want to try to accumulate chips, but I want to put myself in the best possible position to do so. Also, since I'm UTG, I don't know if any of the players behind me have woken up with a monster hand..... the problem of being out of position.

If I did play the hand, I'm going to make my standard opening raise to 3BB (300), so that if I need to get off the hand due to the action behind me... I have an out that will leave me with 7BB, which is still a very playable stack in these tourneys.

I do agree with your assessment on seat 9. If I'm them, while I want to be playing the hand, I want to shove to isolate and hopefully be in a HU pot, as AKs plays much better HU than in a multi-way pot. If I'm in seat 1, I'm either shoving or folding... if I am playing the hand, there are so many chips in the pot already that I'm pot committed and not folding regardless.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com