Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

25c/45man (none turbo) 8Jo

Old
25c/45man (none turbo) 8Jo - Sun Jul 15, 2012, 01:31 PM
(#1)
Since: Jan 2010
I think im playing to tight, rarely having a decent stack! so im posting some folds,

got to see a free flop and hit, but I still got away,

good discipline or too tight??

Old
Sun Jul 15, 2012, 03:20 PM
(#2)
Since: Aug 2010
In a .25 game this early (levels 1-4) until most of the extremely dense players have been winnowed out I'm ranging players that limp into any pots as playing almost ATC. Only if I have specific notes or reads on them will I ever give them credit for a hand. (BTW Sharkie1975 to your right here IS a big time player in these...I have reams of notes on him from when American players could play these and he's about as good a player as you'll see in them. He's banked some nice pops in higher level games than these as well.)

So what do we have here...MP2 open limps,the button flats and sharkie completes from the SB. We check our option. Flop comes JJA rainbow and we bet the pot after sharkies check to us (sharkie was probably completing with a pretty wide range here,he's very confident in his ability to outplay 99% of the player at this level post flop,so given cheap prices he'll see flops early). The player in MP2 flats our bet.Could be a couple of things here...weak A,Q10 or KQ looking for the Broadway 1 outer...really not putting him on much else at this level...big A or ANY J and he's defo raising big,if not jamming in our face,here. Players will let the chips fly fast and furious early in these and proper bet sizing takes a big back seat to donk shoves.

The button raise almost the pot. To me the question is what would he be flatting from the button.Any weaker Ace most likely. Any 2 suited is very possible. Any connected cards I'm not ruling out. You'll see hands turned over in these that you just can't believe time after time. The question is,to me,not what would he play at all but what would he ONLY flat call with pre-flop.

To me if he has a big Ace pre he's raising 9 times out of 10. And if he has 2 broadways he's most likely raising pre as well. So in my mind that rules out J hands that beat me for the most part,as he would most likely raise with AJ and KJ and very possibly with QJ as well. So do I fear as narrow a range as J10,J9 and possibly QJ? And he is entirely capable of holding any worse J if it's suited.

So would I fold here?

Never.

I hit like this in one of these and have this bet in front of me I'm doing my dead level best to get all the chips in. Were it me I would have 3 or 4 bet back over top of him with the intention of being all-in on any action by him and shipping any flop should he just call my re-raise on the flop.

The range of worse hands that he can be on and will call you with here is enormously larger than the range of hand he's going to have that beat you.

Hope this helps.

Oh,one last thing you needn't clarify that these are non-turbo in your thread titles---there are no turbo .25 SNG's. They don't start until .50.

Old
Sun Jul 15, 2012, 04:28 PM
(#3)
Since: Jan 2010
thanks for heads up on ShARkiE1975, I have hands on him and he was the only player at the table getting respect, but that asks the question "why did i let the hand go"

why do you think ShARkiE1975 is still playing the 25c?

no 25c turbos lol I thought I had filtered them out

and thanks for hand analysis

Old
Sun Jul 15, 2012, 04:39 PM
(#4)
Since: Aug 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny9691 View Post
thanks for heads up on ShARkiE1975, I have hands on him and he was the only player at the table getting respect, but that asks the question "why did i let the hand go"

why do you think ShARkiE1975 is still playing the 25c?

no 25c turbos lol I thought I had filtered them out

and thanks for hand analysis

No idea why except that they have always been his favorite game (he plays a TON of 45 mans,sometimes 50+ in a day...).

I never try to figure out WHY someone plays what they do,just whether they can play it or not.

Sharkie and some others that gravitate back to these .25 45 mans with some frequency can definitely do their business in them. Unless you know you have the goods this is NOT where you want to get your chips from.

Keep in mind though that at bubble time,IF they respect your table image,it's the better players like Sharkie that you have a better chance of stealing from,as they DO know what the fold button is.

Old
Sun Jul 15, 2012, 07:52 PM
(#5)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi jonny9691!

With J8 from the BB, when the opps limp and let me see the flop for free, I'll be happy to oblige.

I flop trip J and since there are possible straight draws available, I need to bet the flop. With three other opps in the pot, I would make a pot-sized bet, so that I can price out as many of the draws against me as possible.. along with getting value from anyone that wanted to limp with Ax.
I'm called by the mid position player and then the button raises to 200.
When this happens, with trips here and an A on the board, I'm going to 3-bet the button here. Yes, they could have a J with a better kicker, but there is only one J out there while there are many more hands that I'm well ahead of and can get value out of. I'm going to re-raise to 600 here and if the opp shoves, I'm going to call.

This is a good example of why bankroll management is so important. I want to be able to be aggressive when I have a made hand to try and accumulate chips to get ITM, then top 3, then to win. Sometimes the opp will be ahead of me here, but more often than not, I would expect the opp in mid position to have a weak A or straight draw and the button to also have Ax, possibly JT, QJ, KJ or AJ... but I would expect them to raise preflop with the majority of these.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com