Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

STT, Very Tight?

Old
STT, Very Tight? - Sun Jul 15, 2012, 02:06 PM
(#1)
Since: Feb 2012
Sorry, this hand was deleted by its owner

Was seeing this game and maybe I have played very tight. Which these could I have played. What if I had stats with HUD about them, which stats are good to watch in these situations?

Old
Sun Jul 15, 2012, 07:16 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi ahcrata!

How were the BB and UTG playing? Were they playing many hands or folding many hands? Was this a standard raise from UTG?

If the opp had been playing a large number of hands and was normally raising more than normal, then I could very easily raise here and if so, since a standard raise would be for more than 1/2 my stack (I'd normally raise to 3X their bet or 750), then I'd shove here with AJs. I would do this because I would be ahead of a loose player and would want to try to isolate the loose player.

If the player UTG was playing tight and had been making smaller standard raises and all of a sudden makes a 5X raise instead of 3X... then I'm going to muck AJs here, as this could very easily be a tell for a monster hand that I would be behind or that dominates me.

I don't have nor use a HUD, but if I did, the numbers that I would be looking at for the opp are the VPIP (what % of hands the opp voluntalily puts chips into the pot) and also their PFR% (preflop raise %). The higher the VPIP for the opp, the more likely I would be to 3-bet the opp. If I did know these numbers, then I can put my hand into pokerstove along with the range of the opp (using the VPIP number as thier range... ex: if VPIP is 50, I'd use a top 50% hand for the opp). This would tell me whether or not I was ahead or behind the opp's range.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sun Jul 15, 2012, 08:10 PM
(#3)
Since: Feb 2012
Very nice explanation. Thx a lot.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com