Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

25c/45man (none turbo) 87o

Old
25c/45man (none turbo) 87o - Sun Jul 15, 2012, 02:25 PM
(#1)
Since: Jan 2010
first it was a blind steal, dont expect to hit top pair, but cant just let it go, the turn's not really a scare card but I dont know where Im at now, villain is 15/8/67 over 79 hands

Old
Sun Jul 15, 2012, 08:15 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi Jonny9691!

With 78o from the BB, especially if the BB was playing tighter, I like the steal attempt here. If I do get called, since I have connected cards, I do have playability in the hand. My standard opening raise for this blind level is to 2.5BB+1BB for each limper, so I'll raise to 2k. The BB decides to defend, so I have to now play the rest of the hand out of position.

The flop gives me top pair, but has possible flush and straight draws, so I want to follow up with a c-bet both for value and to price out the draws, just in-case the opp has one. To do so, I'm going to make my standard c-bet of 1/2 pot here (1885). With 2 more cards to come, I don't want to bet more than this, as the opp could easily have one or two overcards that could hit on the turn or river.

The turn brings a 9. Since I raised preflop and c-bet the flop, I'm going to make my standard bet of 1/2 pot again here. If the opp raises, then I can get off the hand. If the opp calls, then I can re-evaluate on the river.
I wouldn't want to check the turn, as it gives the opp (that could have been chasing with overcards) the perfect opportunity to bluff me off the pot when I held the best hand. I wouldn't know if they have 2 overs or hit the 9, so I'd rather have the decision on them instead of me.
Also, by me betting preflop, the flop and the turn, even if the opp did have a 9... they don't know that they have the best hand and could easily muck a 9 with a low/mid kicker.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com