Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

how can i avoid these muppets??

Old
how can i avoid these muppets?? - Mon Jul 16, 2012, 10:25 PM
(#1)
Since: Aug 2011
BronzeStar

I just dont understand how I could play this any better??

Old
Mon Jul 16, 2012, 10:57 PM
(#2)
Since: Jul 2010
I think you played it fine, your opponent just happened to hit trips. Concentrate more on making the right decisions, and less on the results of any particular hand.

When you lose one like this, forget it and move on. You made the right decision and your opponent sucked out. Get used to it, it will happen, but if you make the right decisions you will win in the long run.

Old
Tue Jul 17, 2012, 12:01 AM
(#3)
BronzeStar
oh beleive me, Im used to it..... Just hard to stomach ITM and he calls shove with middle pair. Thanks for ur comment.

Old
Tue Jul 17, 2012, 01:18 AM
(#4)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi BadBeatSab!

With JJ, I want to make a std raise, which at this blind level for me is to 2.5BB+1BB for each limper, so I'll raise to 4200.

The flop brings 3 unders but a possible straight or straight draw. I want to bet here both for value and also to protect against a draw. To do so, I'm going to bet 1/2 pot here (6750 chips).
I don't want to overbet here, as I'm typically only going to get called by a straight, overpair, set or two pair. I also don't want to be all-in until I know that I'm going to have the best hand after all 5 cards are on the board.... and it gives me a way out of the hand if the board puts 4 to a straight or a pair on the board.

When the board pairs on the turn, if the opp shoves, I'm going to muck. If the opp checks, then I'll check behind for pot control and to see the river card.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Tue Jul 17, 2012, 06:06 AM
(#5)
Since: Jul 2011
same thing happened to me recently as my 2nd downswing is fully underway. its easy to shove in this spot but you will learn its not a profitable play in the long run. He could have been calling your pre flop raise with any overpair as we all know its not hard to run into the nuts preflop. You also had enough chips to fold on the turn when the board paired you might think im being nitty but you would of most probly cashed for more if you played it tight. Im sure i would of played jacks the same if it were say half way through the tourney and im looking to get into the money but if its itm play im definately playing much tighter.

Old
Tue Jul 17, 2012, 07:07 AM
(#6)
Since: Jul 2010
Unbeliveable!
But to answer your question you don't want to avoid these muppets you want to play them as you will make money in the long run.

Having said that I would not have shoved the flop for all the reasons stated above.

Next time you see that guy just rub your hands and make room for his chips in your stack.

Rob.

Last edited by RobinQQQ; Tue Jul 17, 2012 at 07:08 AM.. Reason: typo

Old
Wed Jul 18, 2012, 01:37 AM
(#7)
BronzeStar
thanks everyone for your comments, good food for thought. I think I'd likely been trapped by him on the turn anyways. Dunno. Cheers guys.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com