Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

AKo with top pair, top kicker, but potential straight/full house on board,Analyse plz

Old
AKo with top pair, top kicker, but potential straight/full house on board,Analyse plz - Tue Jul 17, 2012, 05:29 AM
(#1)
Since: Apr 2012
BronzeStar

This was in 2NL against a villain I have no information about. Multi-tabling as well. I faced a 3x raise from middle position, AKo is a category 2 hand, so I opted for a 3bet pre-flop. He called. I missed the flop, but had a gut shot and overcards, and decided to keep up some aggression by continuation betting. I made a smallish c-bet, just a little more than a third of the pot. I decided to opt for some pot-control whilst I didn't have any made hands. On the turn, I hit top pair and top kicker, but this meant that KJ could of got there. Villain checked, now having a made hand, I decided to bet slightly larger, trying to force the opponent to call with a weaker ace, or a medium pair e.g. a queen, hence why he might of called the flop. Now he suddenly check-raises, which is known to show signs of strength, this gave out the impression, he at least had an Ace as well, I cautiously called, not even thinking about what I do on the river :S, and he jams on me.

I folded as I think I was only beating a bluff in that situation, and although my small bet sizes make me prone to a bluff, because he was willing dedicate all his chips on the river, I felt a fold was necessary in this situation. I think he must of flopped a set, e.g. TT as he played very passively and calling all my bets, then only check-min-raising on the turn, (perhaps to entice me to call) and then jamming the river as he had made a full house.

I will really appreciate any criticism and your thoughts on this hand. What would you have done differently?

Thanks everyone.
OTH

Old
Tue Jul 17, 2012, 05:41 AM
(#2)
Since: Jul 2011
(Community Coordinator)
***Moved***

Hi OTH,

I moved your post into this section to make sure it seen by our hand analysers, one of them will be along later today on to give you a full evaluation.

Cheers,

Raiser

Bracelet Winner

Old
Tue Jul 17, 2012, 06:07 AM
(#3)
BronzeStar
Hi raiser, I couldn't seem to be able to directly post into the hand analysis section of the forum. Is this right, or do you guys just move our posts for us?

OTH

Old
Tue Jul 17, 2012, 06:22 AM
(#4)
Since: Jul 2011
(Community Coordinator)
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutTheHouse View Post
Hi raiser, I couldn't seem to be able to directly post into the hand analysis section of the forum. Is this right, or do you guys just move our posts for us?
OTH
Hi OTH,

No, it should be open to all. It's in a sub section so you'll have to click on the link for the sub section to get into that forum.

Poker Education > No Limit Texas Hold Em Cash Games > NLHE Hand Analysis

Let me know if this works for you.

Cheers,

Raiser

Bracelet Winner

Old
Pot Control - Tue Jul 17, 2012, 08:45 AM
(#5)
Since: Feb 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutTheHouse View Post
This was in 2NL against a villain I have no information about.

I will really appreciate any criticism and your thoughts on this hand. What would you have done differently?

Thanks everyone.
OTH
You’re starting the hand 100BB deep, playing IP vs. an unknown.

PF: Your PF raise should have been larger, for a quite a few reasons… you don’t want to invite callers with pairs to set mine, to dissuade suited connectors, to thin out the field, to limit the villains range, and to build or take down the pot.

Flop: On the flop, I like your c-bet, but it is way too small… if you are going to c-bet, make it closer to 2/3 the pot. You should be happy just to take down the pot at this point, being the flop produced a tricky situation. Now even if you ‘bink’ a King or Ace on the turn, it sets up an ugly board, which may hit the villains range hard.

Turn: On the turn, despite hitting top/top, the board is ugly. At this point, your plan should be to pot control, which may allow you to get to SD for a cheap price. As played, you over valued your hand, and found yourself in a tough spot. With no specific reads on this villain, you should give up the hand, and fold.

River: Seems like you didn’t have a plan (again), and are in the same boat as last street. You are facing continued aggression from an unknown, and are challenged to risk the balance of your stack for a pot-sized bet. Time to lick your wounds, and wait for a better time to get your chips in.

"May the cards be with you!"

Old
Tue Jul 17, 2012, 11:10 AM
(#6)
Since: Jun 2010
(Head Trainer)
Hi OTH,

I too prefer a larger preflop 3b sizing, you're giving the villain a price to take a shot at your stack with any pair or really any hand he open raised with and not making it a mistake for them to call you with pocket pairs and connected cards.

On the turn I think it's much better to check back without reads in a spot like this. The villain's range consists of basically all way ahead or way behind hands at this point, and the hands that are way behind aren't likely to call a bet (unless the player is a station, a read we don't have). The hands that are ahead (sets, AQ, AT, KJ, even A6s) could be ready to raise us, charging us more to try and draw out (4 outs to the nuts). Checking back prevents us from getting blown off our equity in the pot when behind, and will induce river bluffs and curiosity calls when we're ahead gaining us an additional street of value from those holdings.

As played definitely like the river fold, the villain's line looks like pure value and we are not beating any of his legit value range, so with out reads I think this is a good fold. If we had checked back the turn, we would have seen the showdown and for a lower price than we paid to see the turn (surely his river bet would be less than the .48c check raise), and maybe induced some bluffs from hands like 99 or JT.

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Tue Jul 17, 2012, 01:31 PM
(#7)
BronzeStar
Thanks for both your reply guys and the time spent doing them. I'll just try to improve my pre-flop play with larger bets for my stronger hands to reduce the likelihood of set-miners, and a stronger post-flop by c-bet to take down the bot and avoid bluffers.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com