Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Poker Education & Beginners Questions /

Donkeys ...

Old
Default
Donkeys ... - Wed Jul 18, 2012, 12:12 PM
(#1)
hbhuang341's Avatar
Since: Apr 2012
Posts: 79
Heey guys,

Donkeys are one of the most annoying things in poker,espicially when you dont a any information about them.Im not a donkey,but i will always get donked and maybe fold the best hand.

Tips ?

Thanks guys !
 
Old
Default
Wed Jul 18, 2012, 12:18 PM
(#2)
Da Sens Fan's Avatar
Since: Jun 2010
Posts: 1,118
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbhuang341 View Post

Donkeys are one of the most annoying things in poker
I'd argue that Donks are the best part of poker. Well, if you like money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbhuang341 View Post
Im not a donkey,but i will always get donked and maybe fold the best hand.

Tips ?
Stop folding the best hand
 
Old
Default
Wed Jul 18, 2012, 12:31 PM
(#3)
hbhuang341's Avatar
Since: Apr 2012
Posts: 79
Well ,im a mtt-sng regular,so does it change something?
How do you approach them,just calll 3 streets or make a 3bet ?( no read on donkeys)
 
Old
Default
Wed Jul 18, 2012, 12:41 PM
(#4)
royalraise85's Avatar
Since: Jul 2011
Posts: 26,018
(Community Coordinator)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbhuang341 View Post
Donkeys are one of the most annoying things in poker,espicially when you dont a any information about them.
Tips ?
Thanks guys !
Hi hbhuang341,

Personally, I'd wait until I had information before getting overly involved with them.

By all means get the chips in when you believe that you are ahead in the hand.

Otherwise, I'd give each player at the table respect until they have proven to me beyond doubt that they are poor players.

Raiser


Moderator

Bracelet Winner


 
Old
Default
Wed Jul 18, 2012, 02:44 PM
(#5)
Grade b's Avatar
Since: Jun 2010
Posts: 3,604
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbhuang341 View Post
Well ,im a mtt-sng regular,so does it change something?
How do you approach them,just calll 3 streets or make a 3bet ?( no read on donkeys)

Ok so royal really said it but i would not be me if i didn't join in.

How do you know they are donkeys if you have no read?

If you have no read you should assume they are Phil Ivey and proceed with an a strong hand only.

Next before you can come up with a strategy against them you need to put them correctly into the correct donkey Pen.

Andrew Seidman says he see's his students make the mistake to often of calling a donkeys shove "becuase he's bad" when they should be saying i had to fold "because hes so passive bad he had to have it there" (EASY GAME VOL 1, 2009)
so are they passive or aggressive, loose or nitty tight. Always C-bet or always fold to C-bet?

How do you know they are donkeys maybe they just have a read on your hand?

Grade b


I am always ready to learn although I do not always like being taught. ~Winston Churchill

13 Time Bracelet Winner


 
Old
Default
Mon Jul 23, 2012, 01:47 AM
(#6)
TJ Jenkinz's Avatar
Since: Jun 2010
Posts: 42
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grade b View Post
Ok so royal really said it but i would not be me if i didn't join in.

How do you know they are donkeys if you have no read?

If you have no read you should assume they are Phil Ivey and proceed with an a strong hand only.

Next before you can come up with a strategy against them you need to put them correctly into the correct donkey Pen.

Andrew Seidman says he see's his students make the mistake to often of calling a donkeys shove "becuase he's bad" when they should be saying i had to fold "because hes so passive bad he had to have it there" (EASY GAME VOL 1, 2009)
so are they passive or aggressive, loose or nitty tight. Always C-bet or always fold to C-bet?

How do you know they are donkeys maybe they just have a read on your hand?

Grade b
I agree with what Royal said. You need to find out what kind of player they are first before you decide to play against their style. My advice is that when they first sit at your table and push push push every hand try and see a few of their hands, not by you calling them but by others getting sucked in and calling. Unless you get AA KK etc..

I have read that to play against these hyper aggressive type players it's best to sit to the left of them or a seat very close to their left. This means that they will be acting in front of you most of the time. The next time they push you will be waiting with a better hand to re raise put them all in etc..

Anyway good luck and I hope you learn how to play them because you can make a lot of money from these kinds of players when you know how. I had the same problem too but nowadays I make them pay for being stupid.
 

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com