Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Poker Education & Beginners Questions /

Dealing with a downswing

Old
Dealing with a downswing - Thu Jul 19, 2012, 07:08 PM
(#1)
Since: Aug 2011
I would like to know what people’s thoughts on dealing with a downswing are. I have been playing the 2c/4c limit omaha H/L tables for a while but I have been struggling recently. I am down about 20 big bets over the last 2000 hands and I always try to review my hand histories to see if I should have played hands differently to try and improve my game but, barring a few errors, it doesn’t feel like I’m playing that badly. I don’t know if there is something fundamental wrong with my game that I am not able to spot, like playing too tight or not focusing hard enough on opponents tendencies or something like that. How do you discern a run of bad variance from fundamental leaks in your game? Apart from reviewing your hands after a session, either by posting them on forums or looking at them yourself, what is the best way to find out what problems there are in your game?

Old
Thu Jul 19, 2012, 07:41 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi rafasrevenge!

Well... I'm in the middle of one too. What I look for is to see if I'm getting my chips in good and that I'm making the correct decisions at that given point in time. As long as I'm doing that, I just try to keep grinding thru it. These downswings are a great reason why bankroll management is so important.

Good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Re: Dealing with a downswing - Fri Jul 20, 2012, 11:28 AM
(#3)
Since: Apr 2011
WhiteStar
I would recommend some relaxation techniques like deep breathing, meditation, rhythmic exercise, and yoga....

Last edited by princess3203; Fri Jul 20, 2012 at 11:29 AM.. Reason: typo

Old
Fri Jul 20, 2012, 11:45 AM
(#4)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi princess3203!

Welcome to the forum. Here's a link that will help to get you familiar with the options that PSO has to offer.

Good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Mon Jul 23, 2012, 02:09 AM
(#5)
BronzeStar
I know exactly what you're going thru Rafas I used to ask myself the exact same questions.

My advice if you know that your style of playing is solid and normally works for you then don't ever doubt it even when you keep getting these bad beats. Still though look back at the hand you saw as a bad beat and look for what YOU did wrong. I do this and I normally find that I didn't bet enough or I pushed too hard at one point during the hand or something else. Also we can never play our best game when we are on tilt and it's easy to get there on pokerstars. I use Zen techniques to help me refocus when this happens. It takes practice, but you will get better at controlling your tilt. It's working for me. Good luck!

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com