Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

late registration to mtt

Old
late registration to mtt - Sat Jul 21, 2012, 11:23 AM
(#1)
Since: Aug 2011
are there any advantages or disadvantages to late registring to mtt's?

Old
Sat Jul 21, 2012, 11:54 AM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi bradc!

There can be advantages to both, however, I much prefer to enter when the tourney starts.

If I enter when a tourney starts, all of the fish, maniacs, etc are still in the tourney and I may have the opportunity to double-up or better thru one of them. If I can gain chips from one of the worse players or get a monster hand, then it can set me up for a deep tourney run, where I'll make more $$.

However, I will register late IF the conditions are right, especially in a satellite. If I register late and I am not at a big chip disadvantage (my starting stack is not less than 2.5-3X the avg stack), AND the blinds are not large enough so that my stack is still playable, AND I'm very close to the ticket bubble...... then I'll register late for one.
In big MTT's, I've only late registered a couple of times in a few years and the reason that I did there was that it was only a very few people to get ITM and I basically didn't have to play a hand to get ITM and the min cash was about 50% profit. These situations hardly ever happen, so it's not worth trying to find one.. if it happens, take advantage, but don't expect to find situations like this.

Hope this helps.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sat Jul 21, 2012, 12:00 PM
(#3)
thanks i can see your point about regestering early there is a lot of fish who stack off very light. seems to be to many limpers though that just dont seem to fold then suck out on you.

Old
Sat Jul 21, 2012, 12:07 PM
(#4)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi bradc!

When I get into a limpfest, I try to either raise or fold preflop early. The only time I'll limp along there is with a small/medium pocket pair to setmine. Other than that, I'm making a std raise to 3BB+1BB for each limper or I'm getting out of the hand... espeically if I'm out of position.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sat Jul 21, 2012, 12:19 PM
(#5)
like so major suck out http://www.boomplayer.com/en/poker-h...601_70B75B2ED2

Old
Sat Jul 21, 2012, 12:40 PM
(#6)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hey brad!

The end result would have been similar, but I'd have scaled my bets back here, to be std bets, especially early. Here's what I'd have done.

Preflop, with AK in position, I'm going to make a std 3-bet to 3X the opp's bet, 300.
When I hit top pair on the flop and don't have to worry about a possible flush draw, only a gutshot straight, I'm going to make a standard c-bet of 1/2 pot.
The same type of thing on the turn. It does bring a flush draw, but since there is now only 1 opp, I'll make another standard 1/2 pot bet (if both opps stayed, then I would need to bet 2/3's pot to ensure that both opps have a -EV draw).
The board pairs on the river and the opp checks.
By betting less, the opp will still have a sizable chip stack left here, so it's where a read will help. If the opp had been betting their made hands on the river, then due to them checking, I'm putting them all in. If the opp is a total calling station, which it looks like this opp is, then I'm going to make a thin value bet (1/4-1/3 pot).

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com