Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

KK facing check raise on flop

Old
KK facing check raise on flop - Sat Jul 21, 2012, 05:04 PM
(#1)
Since: Jun 2010

This was 4th level of todays PSO satilitte to tommorrows main event. We are miles from the end and only lost 4 bodies.

I have played with alan5591 before and he is a solid TAG Player.

Do i Suck it up your do I have to call?

Although the reply does seem to show he has Jammed 1715 into the pot here.

Some thing i didn't even consider should i have taken the free card?

Grade b

I am always ready to learn although I do not always like being taught. ~Winston Churchill

13 Time Bracelet Winner

Last edited by Grade b; Sat Jul 21, 2012 at 05:07 PM..

Old
Sat Jul 21, 2012, 07:19 PM
(#2)
Since: Jul 2010
I think the key here is your read on the player. If he was a shove monkey I guess your chips would go in with only a slight cocern about the Ace. The fact that he's a solid player leaves the question how often is he doing this with a draw? For me I'd be inclined to let this one go. You aren't crippled by this loss and a win here won't get you near the money so bin it and move on.

I don't like the idea of taking a free card here. You have a made hand and both your draws are runner runner. You could get a heart on the turn that would improve you to a flush draw but maybe it would make his flush. What would you do if he Jammed then? Unlikely I'll admit, he'd need to be in Qx of hearts but I still think your raise was right. You asked the question and you got your answer. If you belive him (or can't decide) go away, if you don't belive him then call.

Rob

Old
Sat Jul 21, 2012, 08:35 PM
(#3)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi grade b!

With KK, preflop, I want to make a std opening raise, 3BB+1BB for each limper, so I'll raise to 300. This helps to conceal the strength of my hand and builds a pot that it's not TOO easy for others to enter at the right price. I want to price out any opps that have A/rag, as there could be any number of opps this early in a tourney that would play any A. Raising lower invites those players into the pot and I want them out of it if I can get them to fold.
The opp flat calls and has to play the rest of the hand out of position, which is a plus for me, as I can see how they react to the flop.

The flop gives a flush draw and a broadway straight draw, but worst of all... especially with an ace on the board, I could be behind here. With the opp being in the blind, small pairs and Ax are a large part of their range and either 55 or Ax is now ahead of me. The opp checks to me and here is where a read on the opp would play a part in my decision making process. Is the opp known to play any Ax or suited cards (flush draw)?
If the opp likes playing any suited cards, then I need to bet 2/3 pot on the flop, in order to price out a flush and possible combo draw.
If the opp likes playing Ax, then I'm checking behind and hoping to pick up a backdoor flush or striaght draw, or a K.
If I bet and the opp shoves, I still have a very playable stack when I muck, so I will choose to do so and not put the majority of my chips in when I could very easily be behind.

The reason for the 3X raise preflop is that it makes the pot odds worse for someone to be drawing at my KK with Ax, that only has three outs.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sat Jul 21, 2012, 09:24 PM
(#4)
Thanks JWk the reason I bet 2.2 is becuase it is my standard raise after the 4th level of a tourny.

But thinking about it this is the first hand i've raised at this level and so have gone from 3x to 2.,

Its all too much for my little brain....Needles to say i folded and went on to cash for a main event ticket.

Mind you it helped that i had AA once KK 3 times and QQ once all within the space of 124hands.

Grade b

I am always ready to learn although I do not always like being taught. ~Winston Churchill

13 Time Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com