Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

MicroMillions ME Satellite bubble isloation shove

Old
MicroMillions ME Satellite bubble isloation shove - Sat Jul 21, 2012, 07:43 PM
(#1)
Since: Jun 2011

PSO Satellite to the MicroMillions Main Event

Near the bubble 18 left , 14 qualify

Stats Vpip. PFR, 3bet

Chez310 (18 / 9 / 5.0)
Django66 (17 / 14 / 6.5)

Not sure that the stats are relevant in this spot

2.5 BB short stack shoves, I reshove with AQo to isolate expecting everybody behind to fold given closeness to bubble. Would not expect any good player to call in this situation. Would only expect the big stack to call with QQ+ and nobody else as I cover them all.

Astonished to see Django66 call with a hand that could already be crushed against a stack that has him covered.

Question 1. Given my reasoning above, did I make a mistake in my isolation shove?
Question 2. Is the call behind me a terrible one given closeness to bubble?

Old
Sat Jul 21, 2012, 08:06 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
Hi pied poker,

First at the time that hand was played we sat at 19 players left.

I was shocked when you moved to our table with a small stack. Personally with your stack i'd folded my way to a ticket.

Was it a good call by DJango...maybe depends on how light he feels you are I'm Guessing he feels you would have standard 3 bet with AA or KK rather than try to iso.

Grade b

I am always ready to learn although I do not always like being taught. ~Winston Churchill

13 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
The other table at the time. - Sat Jul 21, 2012, 08:25 PM
(#3)
Since: May 2011
Hi,

If you were on my table earlier I recorded a short video of some parts of the action from about 1 hour in until the end.

Grade b got a mention 3rd in chips and railing our table.

Last edited by ForrestFive; Sat Jul 21, 2012 at 08:29 PM..

Old
Sat Jul 21, 2012, 11:30 PM
(#4)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi ThePiedPoker!

Welcome to the forum.

A satellite needs to be played differently than a standard tourney, especially near the bubble. In a normal cash tourney, the goal is to get enough chips to cash, then to get enough chips for the FT, then top 3, then to win.
In a satty, there is one and only one goal... get enough chips to get the ticket. Once I accomplish this, I don't care how many times I get dealt AA.. it's mucked preflop every single time.

With 4 more needing to go out to get the ticket, I know there are 4 lower stacks than me at my table, let alone all the other ones. Until my stack is in lower than 13-14th, there isn't any hand that I am going to play, especially against any stack that could damage my chip position.

By shoving here, I'm only going to get called by a better hand and fold out all of the worse hands and I do not want to take any chance at all, especially with the three larger stacks at the table that can damage my chip position and cost me the ticket.

If it was a cash game where I got more $$ for finishing higher up the ladder, then I like the isolation shove here, but not in a satellite.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sun Jul 22, 2012, 09:33 AM
(#5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForrestFive View Post
Hi,

If you were on my table earlier I recorded a short video of some parts of the action from about 1 hour in until the end.

Grade b got a mention 3rd in chips and railing our table.

To be fair I was railing all the tables and keeping an eye on relitive chip counts

Grade b

I am always ready to learn although I do not always like being taught. ~Winston Churchill

13 Time Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com