Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

$1 45-man SnG - TT

Old
$1 45-man SnG - TT - Sat Jul 21, 2012, 10:29 PM
(#1)
Since: May 2012
This is only the 6th hand of the tournament. Villain (BallsQ) hasn't played a hand yet. I've only played one and showed down with AQ so my image is good.

Old
Sun Jul 22, 2012, 02:13 AM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi hellsgate10!

With pocket 10's here, I'm going to make my standard 3-bet, which is to 3X the previous bet, or 240.
The flop brings three undercards and a possible heart flush draw. The opp that raise/called preflop now shoves.
To call, it would cost me 930 chips into a pot that will be 2370 (39.2%).
Now I need to go to pokerstove and see how much equity my hand has and this is where a read on the opp helps. When I put in the board and my hand, I then need to assign a range for the opp. Since the opp is tight, I'll start with a top 10% hand for them. If this is their range, I have 56.8% equity. Since my hand equity is much higher than the pot equity, this would be a call.
If the opp is much tighter, say a top 5% hand, then I have 39.2% equity in my hand. This would make it a 0EV play, so I could call or fold.

The key here for me would be a read on the opp. If they would only play a hand range tighter than a top 5% hand, then I need to fold. If they would play a wider range, then I'd call... and the whole decison will be based on my read of the opp. Without a read, I'm going to call, as a top 5% range is really tight.

This hand is a good one for showing how important bankroll management is, as I want to be able to take advantage of any possible +EV situation that I can... without having to worry about my bankroll.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com