Home / Community / Forum / Support Area / Poker News /

SLAG

Old
Default
SLAG - Mon Jul 23, 2012, 02:02 AM
(#1)
holdemace486's Avatar
Since: Nov 2011
Posts: 1,760
Forgive the rather nasty sounding title, however this stands for super loose and agressive.
Over the years poker as become a very stereotypical game. People seem to have forgot the fundamentals of playing poker,

Many players opt for the plain and boring TAG aproach, this can be come very predictable type play.

Others develop their skills and move on to a more LAG aproach, this thenis harder to read your opp.

Others just dont learn and stay a donk.

And others just tilt.

Donk and tilt, what if this was put into a new style of play, SLAG.

Completely an unreadable opponent is developed.

Donk bet sizes,donk posistion, but an assurity that he can read the more static type opps.

May sound mad to the hardened poker fanatic,

We all know that standard TAG and NIT poker produces results,and is probably one of the best and must standard ways to play.

So anyway im about to take a break for a while,but wanted to leave you with this, and help some of you to alter that static blueprint way of thinking.

http://www.pokerschoolonline.com/rep...ash=D050C0467A

http://www.pokerschoolonline.com/rep...ash=F3E338B20D

http://www.pokerschoolonline.com/rep...ash=EC97FF6776

http://www.pokerschoolonline.com/rep...ash=6147B4BCCC

http://www.pokerschoolonline.com/rep...ash=8569252E74
 
Old
Default
Mon Jul 23, 2012, 02:45 AM
(#2)
mcrissinger's Avatar
Since: Jun 2010
Posts: 1,650
BronzeStar
Good luck. Very happy to see that you have graduated to all sorts of advanced theories.

Please keep us updated on your progress.

Enjoy your break from poker, or just this forum.

Good decisions, dude. Don't leak all over the place.

edit: those 5 hands you posted... So what? If you can't take down those pots on tables that passive... NEVER play for real money. Don't want to hear about your reads, the bets said it all. Congrats that you were able to pick up on it. YAY U canz play pokerz!

Last edited by mcrissinger; Mon Jul 23, 2012 at 02:52 AM..
 
Old
Default
Mon Jul 23, 2012, 10:44 AM
(#3)
Sandtrap777's Avatar
Since: Jun 2010
Posts: 3,310
Quote:
Originally Posted by holdemace486 View Post
Over the years poker as become a very stereotypical game. People seem to have forgot the fundamentals of playing poker,

Many players opt for the plain and boring TAG aproach, this can be come very predictable type play.

Others develop their skills and move on to a more LAG aproach, this thenis harder to read your opp.

Others just don't learn and stay a donk.

And others just tilt.


Donk and tilt, what if this was put into a new style of play, SLAG.

Completely an unreadable opponent is developed.

Donk bet sizes,donk posistion, but an assurity that he can read the more static type opps.
I'm glad you have finally described yourself
Now to correct that:
Take a few months, maybe a year and go read a few books, watch every video posted here, take part in every class, go practice in play money and then come back to real money and this forum to show us your progress. Hope to see you, but not before January next year since you'll have lots to work on

GL
 
Old
Default
Mon Jul 23, 2012, 05:57 PM
(#4)
Moxie Pip's Avatar
Since: Aug 2010
Posts: 3,853
[QUOTE=holdemace486;358162]Forgive the rather nasty sounding title, however this stands for super loose and agressive.
Over the years poker as become a very stereotypical game. People seem to have forgot the fundamentals of playing poker,

Many players opt for the plain and boring TAG aproach, this can be come very predictable type play.

Others develop their skills and move on to a more LAG aproach, this thenis harder to read your opp.

Others just dont learn and stay a donk.

And others just tilt.

Donk and tilt,what if this was put into a new style of play,SLAG.

Completely an unreadable opponent is developed.

Donk bet sizes,donk posistion, but an assurity that he can read the more static type opps.

May sound mad to the hardened poker fanatic,

We all know that standard TAG and NIT poker produces results,and is probably one of the best and must standard ways to play.

So anyway im about to take a break for a while,but wanted to leave you with this, and help some of you to alter that static blueprint way of thinking.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Um,before you go trying to get proprietary rights for your "new style of play" it already exists and at micro levels for sure is the most prevalent style of play. Instead of SLAG though it's known by these more common terms...

...aggro fish...

...muppet...

...spewtard...

...tencat...

...um,YOU to be quite honest...

...and others I won't mention so as to avoid a warning and/or ban.


If one were to want to play an extreme LAG type of game and had the reading ability (you don't...but feel free to keep deluding yourself...),discipline (again...totally absent in your game...),BR management (...I don't really need to go there I hope...),and a dozen other factors then they could be Gus Hansenesque and do this,sure. But Hansen has something you don't---table cred. Hell you and 99.9% of the players in this school play at levels where the vast majority of our opponents don't even recognize table images or anything beyond the 2 cards in their hand.

As for the "static blueprint way of thinking" stuff...well I'm fairly sure I speak for most of the analyzers and more involved members of the Forum and school when I say that if you think we don't have other gears in our TAG or NIT games and the ability to use them to adapt to table dynamics then you're more than welcome to test that theory out.
 
Old
Default
Tue Jul 24, 2012, 02:32 PM
(#5)
TheLangolier's Avatar
Since: Jun 2010
Posts: 13,501
(Head Trainer)
Quote:
Originally Posted by holdemace486 View Post
NIT poker produces results,and is probably one of the best and must standard ways to play.
This couldn't be farther from the truth. A nitty style does well against opponents that are way too loose and largely clueless level 1 thinkers. Nit poker works fine in the smallest of microstakes where the large majority of the player pool are mostly unskilled, because they don't have the skill sets or experience to identify and take advantage of the nit, and when the nit hits a hand they give all kinds of bad EV up anyway. And by "works fine" I mean is profitable... it's still not optimal for a skilled player.

Against more savvy competition nits have no chance, they are easily exploited. I would be willing to back a decent nit in 2nl, but wouldn't dream of it in 50nl as that would be lighting money on fire imo, unless they were also expert game selectors and only played when there were tables with at least 2 or more "SLAG's" on them.


Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner



 
Old
Default
Tue Jul 24, 2012, 05:14 PM
(#6)
folkstix's Avatar
Since: Nov 2010
Posts: 55
This whole thread is awesome. Haha.
 
Old
Default
Tue Jul 24, 2012, 05:40 PM
(#7)
EdinFreeMan's Avatar
Since: Feb 2010
Posts: 4,540
Quote:
Originally Posted by folkstix View Post
This whole thread is awesome. Haha.
If you like this, Holdemace486 has a whole classic library of similar stuff in the forum....

you just need to search for it.

Happy reading...

Ed from Edinburgh - EdinFreeMan
 
Old
Default
Tue Jul 24, 2012, 07:14 PM
(#8)
Moxie Pip's Avatar
Since: Aug 2010
Posts: 3,853
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdinFreeMan View Post
If you like this, Holdemace486 has a whole classic library of similar stuff in the forum....

you just need to search for it.

Happy reading...

Ed from Edinburgh - EdinFreeMan


Take some LSD first,it'll make more (any...) sense.
 
Old
Default
Wed Jul 25, 2012, 12:21 AM
(#9)
joy7108's Avatar
Since: Jul 2010
Posts: 2,286
QUOTE=Moxie Pip;358341]Take some LSD first,it'll make more (any...) sense.[/QUOTE]

ROFLMFAO

[
 
Old
Default
Wed Jul 25, 2012, 12:54 AM
(#10)
dale442's Avatar
Since: May 2011
Posts: 553
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moxie Pip View Post
Take some LSD first,it'll make more (any...) sense.
It's painfully obvious to me......he already has. Or, at least I hope so....


Dale

Last edited by dale442; Wed Jul 25, 2012 at 01:19 AM..
 
Old
Default
Wed Jul 25, 2012, 02:24 PM
(#11)
Grade b's Avatar
Since: Jun 2010
Posts: 3,604
(Harrington on holdem Volume one by Dan Harrington p20 Oct 2004)


"Style 3 Super aggressive approach
"starting requirements? we dont need no stinkin' starting requirements!"

.....buts its most successful practitioners, players like Gus Hanson, Daniel Negreanu, and Phil Ivey, have enjoyed great success...."

to read more see Harrington on Hold'em

Grade b


I am always ready to learn although I do not always like being taught. ~Winston Churchill

13 Time Bracelet Winner


 
Old
Default
Wed Jul 25, 2012, 04:01 PM
(#12)
EdinFreeMan's Avatar
Since: Feb 2010
Posts: 4,540
Forgive the rather nasty sounding title, however this stands for super loose and agressive.

blah blah blah

NOT forgiven - unacceptable that you think you are so clever coming up with an acronym like that and even more unforgiveable that PSO didn't instantly remove the post or change the title.

IMO you are massively negative ev for this forum - you create traffic - but it is like watching a car wreck.

If I had any power you would be gone by now.

Ed
 
Old
Default
Wed Jul 25, 2012, 04:14 PM
(#13)
Grade b's Avatar
Since: Jun 2010
Posts: 3,604
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdinFreeMan View Post
Forgive the rather nasty sounding title, however this stands for super loose and agressive.

blah blah blah

NOT forgiven - unacceptable that you think you are so clever coming up with an acronym like that and even more unforgiveable that PSO didn't instantly remove the post or change the title.

IMO you are massively negative ev for this forum - you create traffic - but it is like watching a car wreck.

If I had any power you would be gone by now.

Ed
Having taught GCSE Science i don't have a problem with the wording. "The waste product from the blast furnace,"

but i do understand where people might have.

Also HEA did not make this Acronym up its been around in other forums for a while.
 
Old
Default
Wed Jul 25, 2012, 05:02 PM
(#14)
Sandtrap777's Avatar
Since: Jun 2010
Posts: 3,310
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdinFreeMan View Post
Forgive the rather nasty sounding title, however this stands for super loose and agressive.

blah blah blah

NOT forgiven - unacceptable that you think you are so clever coming up with an acronym like that and even more unforgiveable that PSO didn't instantly remove the post or change the title.

IMO you are massively negative ev for this forum - you create traffic - but it is like watching a car wreck.

If I had any power you would be gone by now.

Ed

I agree
+10000
 
Old
Default
Wed Jul 25, 2012, 10:59 PM
(#15)
joy7108's Avatar
Since: Jul 2010
Posts: 2,286
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandtrap777 View Post
I agree
+10000
++++++++++++++++++++lots

 
Old
Default
Thu Jul 26, 2012, 12:54 AM
(#16)
holdemace486's Avatar
Since: Nov 2011
Posts: 1,760
1.
Also called cinder. the more or less completely fused and vitrified matter separated during the reduction of a metal from its ore.

2.
the scoria from a volcano.

3.
waste left over after the re-sorting of coal.


like i said i must speak alien.

SLAG is an acronyn not a diry word,it does not exist as a dirty word,that is your terible way of thinking not miine look it up!

And yes B its been around for a while in poker terms and the best players use this, do any of you want all go tell faraz jakka hes a fruit loop?

I do not think so,

and many others use this, i understand its hard for you TAG extremists to accept another style, and again a talking point and theory blown out the water just because its me.

With the odd exception, who are willing to make a poker conversation about any poker topic.

ANd you claim you love poker, yea right............
 
Old
Default
Thu Jul 26, 2012, 12:26 PM
(#17)
Moxie Pip's Avatar
Since: Aug 2010
Posts: 3,853
Quote:
Originally Posted by holdemace486 View Post
1.
Also called cinder. the more or less completely fused and vitrified matter separated during the reduction of a metal from its ore.

2.
the scoria from a volcano.

3.
waste left over after the re-sorting of coal.


like i said i must speak alien.

SLAG is an acronyn not a diry word,it does not exist as a dirty word,that is your terible way of thinking not miine look it up!

And yes B its been around for a while in poker terms and the best players use this, do any of you want all go tell faraz jakka hes a fruit loop?

I do not think so,

and many others use this, i understand its hard for you TAG extremists to accept another style, and again a talking point and theory blown out the water just because its me.

With the odd exception, who are willing to make a poker conversation about any poker topic.

ANd you claim you love poker, yea right............

Here we go again.

WE don't understand what you're talking about,us with our poor,pitiful,non-Mensa intellects.

TAG extremists that we are...(you've obviously NEVER played on a table with B if you think he's a "TAG extremist" BTW).

Also does anyone know when the TAG jihad is scheduled for? I didn't get the memo.

Yes holdem,SOME of the top players in the world play an extreme LAG game SOME of the time.

They also have reading abilities that far outstrip what anyone here in this school have and are very likely to ever have. And they also built those games from a solid,much more solid than any of US have attained yet to be sure,TAG base.

Never mind the fact that the bluffing and floating intrinsic in a style like this would be a very leaky style to adapt in most small micro stakes game where the majority of opponents are also very loose and have trouble ever finding their fold button if they have any piece of the hand.

No we should just forget that this is a school that caters mostly to players starting their journey and jump right into the deep end without really knowing how to swim because you want to fit round pegs into square holes.

And here's the kicker---your ever incessant whine that we assail what you "contribute" here because you're you.

WRONG. We take issue with you posting your opinion's as if they're fact because the vast majority of the time YOU DO NOT KNOW WHAT THE HELL YOU'RE TALKING ABOUT.

You think you can play a style like that and not be grounded in something as basic as being able to properly calculate pot odds,equity and hand equity? I'm here to tell you that...

A: If one can't do something as basic as that and then wants to play a high risk style like LAG or even looser then they WILL get their teeth kicked down their throat.

B: That is also something YOU can't do. Don't believe me? Go take a look at the dog's breakfast of a hand analysis you "contributed" to joy's "2 outer on the river" thread. WRONG on every street. Well,at least you're consistent.

Players that are reading this...you have to find the style of play that fits YOU. This is inarguable. But there are also certain basic tools that you need to have in your toolbox to succeed over the long haul. Having a solid foundation in TAG poker will be important in that toolbox. Once you have that then yes,by all means,you want and indeed will NEED to expand your game. If nothing else just to have the ability to have a different "gear",or more,to supplement a TAG game if that remains your default option.

But until you have established yourself as a consistently sound and profitable player,something our protagonist has NOT done,then it's not likely to be a good idea for you to adopt a more high risk style of play just yet. Not to be your standard play at least.

Get your fundamentals down first,then you can branch your game out knowing that you are doing so from a solid foundation.

Instead of just thrashing around,careening from "theory" to "theory" on a weekly basis and wondering why you're constantly going Busto like some players.

Last edited by Moxie Pip; Thu Jul 26, 2012 at 12:29 PM..
 
Old
Default
Thu Jul 26, 2012, 02:11 PM
(#18)
holdemace486's Avatar
Since: Nov 2011
Posts: 1,760
well moxie great valuable input as always, and neither can i argue the fact with anything you say because obvious you do know it all about poker and i am not saying that in a sarcastic way to be understood.

Right ok, whos on about any one else but me? im saying what about,what ifs etc etc,not hey you guys reading this go bank some donk chips in and get lucky.

Thats why we have you moxie and JW and the lango etc,.

I am quite happy i can switch to TAG anytime and win, its not that hard of a concept to pick up and do.

I could happily go get some software and multitable playing tag or nit at low levels and prey on the weak and helpless very bot like with the personality and the boredom to go with it.

BUT NO NO NO, thats not me, Im learning all styles and types of play so i dont take a knife to a gun fight.

SO on that note can any one help me, and thx dave the langolier fully understood what you said in your comments,

SO no barred play and no self rules like B was on about, what do you look out for,what are the biggest dangers? in playing this way.
 
Old
Default
Thu Jul 26, 2012, 03:16 PM
(#19)
Moxie Pip's Avatar
Since: Aug 2010
Posts: 3,853
My greatest defense mechanism in poker is KNOWING,not thinking,KNOWING that I don't know it all holdem and in fact never will,nor even come close to it.

But I do know that playing the style you apparently want to play,without a serious foundation in long term successful TAG play behind it and a better understanding of several basic concepts than you currently have,judging by many of your posts here,is going to get you drilled. Plain and simple.

That's the biggest danger. The biggest opponent based danger is that you will be flying directly against what EVERY trainer and player with a winning track record says about the micro levels---DO NOT BLUFF. They say this for good reason---it's not necessary,it rarely works because of the preponderance of calling stations at these levels,you can't bluff players who aren't paying attention for the most part,etc.

And the players who ARE paying attention and can exploit what you're doing are not going to give you the satisfaction of playing on YOUR terms and doing what you want---they'll let you merrily scoop pot after pot and then when they have you where they want you they'll scoop those 1 or 2 big pots and stack you. It's NOT how many pots you win,it's how many/much chips/money. Learn the difference.
 
Old
Default
Thu Jul 26, 2012, 04:31 PM
(#20)
EdinFreeMan's Avatar
Since: Feb 2010
Posts: 4,540
Quote:
Originally Posted by holdemace486 View Post
1.
Also called cinder. the more or less completely fused and vitrified matter separated during the reduction of a metal from its ore.

2.
the scoria from a volcano.

3.
waste left over after the re-sorting of coal.


like i said i must speak alien.

SLAG is an acronyn not a diry word,it does not exist as a dirty word,that is your terible way of thinking not miine look it up!

And yes B its been around for a while in poker terms and the best players use this, do any of you want all go tell faraz jakka hes a fruit loop?

I do not think so,

and many others use this, i understand its hard for you TAG extremists to accept another style, and again a talking point and theory blown out the water just because its me.

With the odd exception, who are willing to make a poker conversation about any poker topic.

ANd you claim you love poker, yea right............
Yes - it's an acronym - but there are enough characters to use the full term in the title, unless you wanted to be deliberately provocative - and yes the word has other meanings but it's common usage is not amongst your definitions, and if you didn't think it would be offensive to some why did you immediately apologise in the post?

Unless you are just attention seeking troll who brings nothing of value. I think of all the useful people we had in the forum, many of whom left due to their run ins with the authorities, where being 'controversial' but in a much more useful way was frowned upon, yet we have replaced them with the ever present holdemace486. I wonder why I still bother.

Constantly useless nobody troll.

Good job I didn't head my post with an 'acronym'.

Ed
 

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com