Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Poker Software & Videos & Literature /

Good Books on Poker

Old
Good Books on Poker - Mon Jul 23, 2012, 12:05 PM
(#1)
Since: Jul 2012
Hello Everyone,

I'm looking for some good books on poker, both on the theory behind it and maybe 1 or 2 on the probabilities. I just picked up "The Theory of Poker" by David Sklansky. I'm looking for a couple (or much more) positions to read.

Might I add that I am a complete beginner and this is my first forum post

Thank you,
Julius "Jayce333"

Old
Mon Jul 23, 2012, 12:45 PM
(#2)
Since: Feb 2010
I only have 2 poker books so far - I would recommend both, not highly, but they are both fine and will not lead you astray so long as you know your level.

The first one I ever bought (from a charity shop for 2 quid) was

'Winning at Poker - essential hints and tips by Dave Scharf 2003

It is targeted at Low Limit Hold Em - but as a starting point I found it very useful for hand strengths, odds & outs etc. It is fairly simplistic and easy to read - I found it a good starting point but as I rarely play limit hold em I don't go back to it often.

More recently I got Doyle Brunsons Super System 2 - which has contributions from many good players and covers more poker formats with a lot on NLHE - however the NLHE stuff is advanced and more applicable to higher stakes than I play. The Mike Caro stuff is particularly good, perhaps because it has simple rules that are understandable, memorable and seem to work in practice.

Basically I would get hold of any books you can and then glean whatever you can from them, but also remember there is a massive library of poker training here at PSO, and Live Training and the Education Forums are great places to learn.

Good luck

Ed from Edinburgh - EdinFreeMan

Old
Welcome - Mon Jul 23, 2012, 12:53 PM
(#3)
Since: Jun 2010
Hi Jayce333. Welcome to the forum. You really are ambitious if you want a list of good books on top of all the material available right here. Have a look at how the site is organized. There is more material being added all the time from beginner level to some quite advanced concepts.

Good luck
Doug

3 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Mon Jul 23, 2012, 12:57 PM
(#4)
Since: Jul 2012
Hehe,

It's not about ambition (well, not only). I spend 2hours a day travelling by train with little or no access to the internet, so books in this case make sense to me. Also, I always preferred a good read over video

Thank you!

Old
Mon Jul 23, 2012, 01:11 PM
(#5)
Since: Aug 2010
(Moderator)
If it helps, i have Harrington on Holdem volume one and two, both are well written, and for me i found them very helpfull.

Old
Mon Jul 23, 2012, 01:59 PM
(#6)
I have just finished reading "easy game by Andrew Seidman

I found both volumes to be good.

Grade b

I am always ready to learn although I do not always like being taught. ~Winston Churchill

13 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Mon Jul 23, 2012, 02:52 PM
(#7)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
**moved to better fitting forum JWK24**

Hi Julius!

Winning Poker Tournaments One Hand At A Time volumes 1 and 2

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Last edited by JWK24; Tue Jul 24, 2012 at 02:58 PM..

Old
Mon Jul 23, 2012, 04:27 PM
(#8)
(Super-Moderator)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWK24 View Post
Hi Julius!

Winning Poker Tournaments One Hand At A Time volumes 1 and 2

John (JWK24)
+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiltshireman View Post
If it helps, i have Harrington on Holdem volume one and two, both are well written, and for me i found them very helpfull.
Harrington a must for any MTT player

Ed Miller's Small Stakes Hold'em

This is one of my all time Favorites

Best of luck with your reading

Thanks for being part of PSO, and Best of Luck at the Tables

T2C

Super-Moderator

7 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Fri Jul 27, 2012, 02:33 AM
(#9)
Since: Apr 2010
I'm at present reading 2 books

1/ Kill Everyone
2/ Treat your poker like a business

Enjoy..........I am

Old
Sat Jul 28, 2012, 08:46 AM
(#10)
Since: Jul 2010
If you are a sng player then a must read IMO is Collin Moshman's sit n go strategy.

Old
Sat Jul 28, 2012, 05:49 PM
(#11)
Since: Aug 2010
(Moderator)
Yes Honu i have that book, and would agree with you that it's a must read for single table sng players. Well written and easy to understand.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com