Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

more 6max questions

Old
more 6max questions - Wed Jul 25, 2012, 06:10 AM
(#1)
Since: Feb 2012
Hi. Is it ever correct to call from the blinds or should i always either fold or 3 bet?

Is it correct to call an openraise with all suited broadways from late position in 6 max?

Can i call small pocket pairs profitably in position against a very good player in 6 max?

Old
Wed Jul 25, 2012, 08:18 AM
(#2)
Since: May 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Villmann View Post
Hi. Is it ever correct to call from the blinds or should i always either fold or 3 bet?
First off; There's never any "always", "evers" or "nevers" in poker.

Flat calling from the blinds can be profitable against players who are very aggressive or that you know stack off light, i.e. with top pair type hands. This is especially profitable if there are multiple players in the pot and you happen to have something like suited connectors, middlish pocket pairs or even suited aces, if there are no huge raises. Just be wary if you don't have the nuts so you don't spaz out completely with your 6 high flush.

If you always fold or 3bet, you become very exploitable. If you always fold, good players will note that when you do play from the blinds, you have the goods. If you always 3bet, you will have to fold to 4bets way too often, or if they call your 3bet, you will be completely lost on the flop. Before you do anything in poker, ask yourself what you're trying to accomplish with any given action and what your plan is. Are you 3betting for value? As a bluff? What do you do if you get 4bet, or called and miss the flop? What range of hands would the villain call/raise with? The same with folding. Are you folding because you think you're behind, or because you believe you have no fold equity if you 3bet? Because your hand has bad post-flop playability? Bad odds? Bad implied odds?

Quote:
Is it correct to call an openraise with all suited broadways from late position in 6 max?
Again, depends. Who is the villain? A good tight aggressive player? A good loose aggressive player? What are his tendencies, and his leaks? The key to winning poker is to identify your opponents' leaks and errors, and capitalize on them while avoiding making mistakes yourself. If your opponents make more mistakes than you, you profit. If you can exploit their weaknesses, you maximize your profits.

An example:
A bad player (with the effective stack of 100bb) opens for 3x in middle position. You, in the cutoff, hold KQs. You've noticed that the raiser tends to open with almost any face card and any pairs, and limps with almost any two cards otherwise. He seems to like to peel a card on the flop but usually folds if he doesn't have anything on the turn. When he hits top pair or better, he likes to go to showdown against reasonable bets. What is your plan here?

First, who's left to act behind us? We have the button and the blinds to our left, so we don't have absolute position. The button seems like a decent player and is able to play position to some extent. The blinds don't make too much noise of themselves. If we call, the button might call behind with a wide range of hands, giving the blinds very good odds to see a flop. We do not want to play KQs in a multiway pot with a decent player having position on us because we would be in a sticky spot if a K or a Q hits the flop and we run into resistance. Since we want to play pots in position, with initiative, heads up, against bad players, 3betting seems a little more attractive than calling. While we lose some of our positional advantage by 3betting and inflating the pot, we should be able to pick up a lot of uncontested pots regardless against this guy. We just have to pick our spots.

With that said, you shouldn't always 3bet whenever this situation occurs. Calling is fine too to mix up your play. Just know why you're calling or 3betting. Calling with suited broadways can be problematic against some players if you happen to flop a K or a Q, for example. Always put your opponents on hand ranges and how you think they will react to any given action with their percieved range. The key point I believe would be to try to play as many pots as you can against the really bad players, preferrably heads up, in position, and with initiative, without making it obvious that it's what you're doing, or you could easily be exploited or start to play too many marginal hands.

Quote:
Can i call small pocket pairs profitably in position against a very good player in 6 max?
Difficult to answer since it's such a general question. That depends on his perception of you and what you think he will pay you off with. He might have an accurate read on you and what you're trying to do, so he would try to trap you back. Calling is perfectly fine if you think you can outplay him postflop and you think you have the implied odds if you hit. Raising and folding to mix up your play and balance your range is fine too. If you don't feel comfortable playing small pairs against very good players, you're better off avoiding them most of the time.

Sorry for the long answer but the questions were of a general nature (good questions though!) so I tried to cover as much as I could. And I could still be wrong, so I'll let the ones who actually know how to play poker back it up or slap me in the face.

Best of luck at the tables!

Last edited by Feskprins; Wed Jul 25, 2012 at 08:32 AM..

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com