Home / Community / Forum / Poker Community / Live Game Sweats and Online Tournaments / Skill League /

try not to laugh

Old
Wink
try not to laugh - Wed Jul 25, 2012, 11:15 PM
(#1)
Since: Nov 2010

yep, the worst can still happen

but more seriously, are there going to be any changes to the open league, this format is simply unplayable, it's hard enough to compete against players who dont seem to have a life going on, but you have also to compete against players playing their first tournament on the 26th day and not having a clue what they are doing sucking out on you every time (yes every time).

how can that be called a league anyway

i think it should be a knockout league so you wont have to play like an idiot for the "whole" month.
like every 9 days the bottom 1/3 gets eliminated or something, common guys it's 100K+ players league with only the top 10 finishers that are actually winning something.

Old
Wed Jul 25, 2012, 11:26 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi curvyroads!

Gotta bet the flop there. By checking, any opps that have a gutshot or open-ended straight are getting the correct price to draw. If I have the made hand, I need to bet enough to make drawing for any of the opps a -EV play. I'd have bet 1/2 pot.

Same thing on the turn. Any bet lower than this gives the opps the right odds to draw, which is not what I want to do.

Good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Thu Jul 26, 2012, 09:12 AM
(#3)
Since: Jul 2011
changes are well overdue imo but will any be implemented i doubt it

Old
Thu Jul 26, 2012, 09:35 AM
(#4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by curvyroads View Post

, this format is simply unplayable, Myself and several others he at PSO have played and beaten it

it's hard enough to compete against players who dont seem to have a life going on, but you have also to compete against players playing their first tournament on the 26th day and not having a clue what they are doing sucking out on you every time (yes every time). Get over it, and move on

how can that be called a league anyway Becuase what is important are the total points collected at the end of the month, it doesnt stop being a leauge just because of poor play (or the NHL would have thrown out the leafs long ago)

i think it should be a knockout league so you wont have to play like an idiot for the "whole" month. what will you do when a donkey sucks out on you and knocks you to bottom 1/3
like every 9 days the bottom 1/3 gets eliminated or something, common guys it's 100K+ players league with only the top 10 finishers that are actually winning something.

no the top 500 guys win somthing, a chance to play in the prem League
Seriously if you can't stand the format DONT PLAY problem solved.

I am always ready to learn although I do not always like being taught. ~Winston Churchill

13 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Thu Jul 26, 2012, 10:25 AM
(#5)
Since: Jul 2010
BronzeStar
if u play passively, u don't have a right to complain. unless u have a specific reason for playing it so slowly, then it was clearly misplayed. anyway u put ur last 700-some chips in with a one card straight out there (any 9 has u beat) or at best ur hoping to chop the pot with ur 4. in other words the river counterfitted u.

Old
Thu Jul 26, 2012, 10:51 AM
(#6)
Since: Jul 2011
I have no problem with the format or anything else other than the scoring system which i think could be changed easily and would have no effect on the leagues. And having to earn 150vpps the month before to make them profitable means that they are not actually freeroll tourneys anyway.

Old
Thu Jul 26, 2012, 11:36 AM
(#7)
Since: Jan 2012
BronzeStar
yeah u should have bet the flop..and the turn definitely re raise all in. tips for open league players.. dont play a hand except AA KK QQ until u get in top 5000. if u have them just shove. even with blinds 10/20. once in top 5000 loosen up a bit play AK AQ JJ 1010. again just shove. u should know how to play with 10-15 bb n find ur spots to put the money in. In this case u were forced into the pot n after flopping the nut straight i would have just put all my money in! good luck on the tables. u can also try the qualifiers were there r some good play.

Old
Thu Jul 26, 2012, 08:04 PM
(#8)
Since: Nov 2010
@Grade b
i know it can be beaten, if you play 24/7
and no, only the top 10 finishers win something, trust me

as for the hand,
i know that slow playing is a taboo, but that hand was kind of funny, my hand was very strong and my only option was to go allin on the flop to win a small pot and remain short, because shoving into 5 players on a flop like that is way too strong since i've been mucking every hand for he last 15min, i didnt really see anyone calling.
i couldnt bet either, since with that many players anyone with a straight draw in late positions would get good pot odds to call no matter how much i bet because i knew at least 2 players would call and the pot would get too big for my stack to protect my hand against any river,
i decided to gamble and go for a double up, checking the turn and give up on the hand to action if a scare card shows up, the turn is a 2 and the SB decides to donk a minbet and ruin everything,
i decided to just call and see what happens, i was happy to see the one with top pair finally making a move and raise, CO called for a little less than 3:1 and everyone else folded, i knew then i was way ahead and made the call, there was noway those guys were drawing, and even if they did, i'm mostly losing to a J, since i have a 6 (gutshot noway).
the river is 6 and the turn raiser moves all in, the caller folds , i had no choice but to call (5BB it's over anyway), he hit a 3 outer gutshot :cr

people always criticize open league hands, but you have no idea there's a big difference between what should be done and what could be done to win chips without busting out.

you have no choice but to play bad to win, just like folding KK and AA to multiple limpers in front of you to survive. isnt that playing bad ?

Last edited by curvyroads; Thu Jul 26, 2012 at 08:07 PM..

Old
Thu Jul 26, 2012, 08:52 PM
(#9)
Quote:
@Grade b
i know it can be beaten, if you play 24/7
and no, only the top 10 finishers win something, trust me

you have no choice but to play bad to win, just like folding KK and AA to multiple limpers in front of you to survive. isnt that playing bad ?
I played 5 games a week finished in 300th odd next month made 20 in prem for my 400th place finish. This month in the prem i have played 9 games sit in 41st place and will not play anymore games and should pick up $50.

so yes the prizes are there for the taking

As to folding AA or KK no i would shove those two every time but folding AK or QQ to make points is GOOD LEAGUE poker

Grade b

I am always ready to learn although I do not always like being taught. ~Winston Churchill

13 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Fri Jul 27, 2012, 12:24 AM
(#10)
Since: Aug 2010
BronzeStar
Quote:
Some of the beats I used to get in the Open League were just like lol omg unbelievable. But this hand isn't unlike something you'd see at 2nl. People limp in with hands like lower pocket pairs and suited connectors all the time, and if you're in the blinds, you have no choice but to play.

And supposedly, with these 'flopped the nuts' hands that are well-masked but vulnerable to getting outdrawn, we're supposed to start value betting like nuts because it's so well masked that people who have top-pair and a gut-shot as well as an over they think is good, or open-enders who think they have 2 overs, or sets, or two-pair, won't know they're behind and will call - and a straight is strongly favored to win by the river. But since everybody's got outs to a better hand, and a flopped straight has no redraws, we're *supposed* to be able to lay our hand down in the face of big raises on the river if it becomes obvious we're behind.

Like when people have a tendency to get attached to hands, as so many of us do at 2nl ... like maybe some very strong flopped hands are just some of the time going to lose? It's something I've struggled with ... that idea that a strong hand like a straight was essentially destined to lose a certain amount of chips (because it was so well-masked that opponents thought they were in better shape than they were), and that optimal play centers around whether you'll wind up losing a little by folding against somebody who's never bluffing, or a lot because you couldn't let go of your hand?

I've been getting a lot of these type hands lately ... it's been pretty costly because sometimes I haven't been able to let go either Sometimes I have, but sometimes not ... work in progress I guess ... :/

PS Oh, that's just for the microstakes like Open League and 2nl ... higher up probably it's different, eh?

PPS Hey, did u see the promotions for 'the Flame'? Might be a nice break from the Open League
http://www.pokerschoolonline.com/art...The-Flame-2012

Last edited by TrustySam; Fri Jul 27, 2012 at 01:44 AM.. Reason: Added a PS :)

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com