Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

calling and BB play

Old
calling and BB play - Fri Jul 27, 2012, 07:19 AM
(#1)
Since: Feb 2012
what is the general approach of calling in position? my opponent is tight agressive good player.
the game is 6 max and he opens utg or utg+1. should i call hands that beat his minimum opening hand? should i call hands that beat his average opening hand? or can i call weaker hands than his minimum opening hand because i have position and in position u should be able to play more hands?

how should i play pocket pairs in big blind? again my opponent is a good TAG. should i fold 22-88 because im OOP or should i call and setmine with them because i have already 1 BB in?

Old
Fri Jul 27, 2012, 08:19 AM
(#2)
Since: Aug 2010
BronzeStar
Hi Villman...

Again, these questions are very specific in nature, and the info you give does not lend itself to a true analysis. Poker should be a dynamic game, where you are seeking to use the maximum information you can gather on opponents to make your decisions, and it does not lend itself will to "set piece" plays suitable for all conditions.

Still...

what is the general approach of calling in position? my opponent is tight agressive good player.

- When you are going to be HU (or highly likely to be HU), if a call in position is usually a good idea, a RAISE in position is often a good idea too.

- "Good" opps will vary widely in HOW they are "good". The less able you are to determine a good player's WEAKNESS, and how to exploit that, the less apt you should be to get involved with a hand you are pretty sure is behind.

- If a raise is not likely to be a good idea due to its committing nature, one should not enter the pot at all unless reasonably certain your holding has +eV vs the ENTIRE RANGE of the opponent's holdings.

the game is 6 max and he opens utg or utg+1. should i call hands that beat his minimum opening hand? should i call hands that beat his average opening hand? or can i call weaker hands than his minimum opening hand because i have position and in position u should be able to play more hands?

- No. In general you should only call with hands having +eV vs the entire range of the opponent. You can practice with Poker Stove to get a better feel for how certain hands play vs certain ranges.

- If the opponent can be bluffed frequently, wider entry standards might be ok IP. This is highly risky though until you've developed strong reading abilities.

how should i play pocket pairs in big blind? again my opponent is a good TAG. should i fold 22-88 because im OOP or should i call and setmine with them because i have already 1 BB in?

- set mining from the blinds is largely a function of stack sizes, and the willingness of opponent(s) to pay you off for the risk you take.

- you should have the ability to derive approximately 12 to 15 times the amount of a call to try a set mine oop. this ability comes from stack size, and whether or not the opp(s) might C bet large, and/or "chase" certain holdings to add money to the pot when you do flop a set.

Again Villman, these are just GENERAL thoughts. If you try to apply them in specific situations without appropriate knowledge of opponents, you are likely going to need to "get lucky" to have your decisions be good ones.

hope it helps.

-JDean

Double Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com