Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

betting question

Old
betting question - Fri Jul 27, 2012, 11:48 AM
(#1)
Since: Nov 2011
http://www.pokerschoolonline.com/rep...ash=A4080D9228

Hi all this may sound a daft question and is a rule i dont know, ok i raise utg with my aces, i get a caller and then the low stack shoves,

i think great i can now reraise the caller and get him all in as well or a good portion of his/her chips.

but the only option it gives me is to call the all in from the low stack and not allowed to reraise

is this something to do with the low stack shoving?

this has happened before to me, but now im curious i just dont know why?

Old
Fri Jul 27, 2012, 12:09 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
Hi holdemace,

The reason is because the short stack did not make a legal full bet.

Blinds are 25/50 you raise to 100 to 150 and short stack has 243 which they push all in.

this means they raised you 97 chips a legal full raise is 100 chips and you can only re-raise a legal raise. It is a part of the game i am aware of as it has come up in classes but not good at reading.

If you had raised to 140 - a raise of 90 then when the shorty shoves their raise is 97 over the legal raise size and you are free to re-raise.

Grade b

I am always ready to learn although I do not always like being taught. ~Winston Churchill

13 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
min reraise - Fri Jul 27, 2012, 12:09 PM
(#3)
When you raised the button by 100 chips to 150, the minimum an opponent can reraise you is 100 more to 250. The short stack, however has only 243 chips, so he can not reraise you the minimum. This means you can not reopen the bidding for another reraise. You would in effect be reraising yourself those extra 7 chips that the short stack is missing. If you had sized your original raise anywhere from the minimum 50 to 96 you could have reopened the betting after the short stack shoved.

Hope this helps
Doug

3 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Fri Jul 27, 2012, 12:15 PM
(#4)
Hi again,

an sided note on the hand,

With your representation on this table as a loose aggressive player this is the perfect flop to bet out on. If he has seen you playing all kinds of hands he is not giving you credit for actually having the goods here.

By waiting until the river to make your move and get chips He has seen his whole hand and you could have the 4 here so he would have to have a made hand to pay you off, if you make a move before the river, he has 2 or 1 cards to out draw you.

This is where the aggro player has to make max chips off his / her reputation in order for the style to be profitable.

Grade b

I am always ready to learn although I do not always like being taught. ~Winston Churchill

13 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Fri Jul 27, 2012, 12:26 PM
(#5)
Since: Nov 2011
thx doug and B i never knew that .

AND yes B but unluckily this time i was playing nitty lol

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com