Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

was this the right play

Old
was this the right play - Sun Jul 29, 2012, 07:22 PM
(#1)
Since: Oct 2011
BronzeStar
final table of 45 stt I needed a 10 or a spade about 13 outs

Sorry, this hand was deleted by its owner

I wish he had more then just a pair of 2's ace high

Old
Sun Jul 29, 2012, 07:33 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
I would never of called that
12 outs not 13, you're counting the ten of spades twice
More detail info needed
- was he TAG, LAG?
- How many hands did you see him play to get a read?
- What was your read?
- What position were you in, how many players left?

But just looking at the flop and your hand, that was a FOLD

Old
Sun Jul 29, 2012, 07:45 PM
(#3)
BronzeStar
He was playing a bit loose at a previous table earlier and I beat him twice and he folded against me a couple of times. He did like to raise alot when it was his turn to bet

Old
Sun Jul 29, 2012, 07:45 PM
(#4)
Since: Jan 2012
Hey dopplerboy

This is a fold, we have too many chips ( 17 bb's ) to just call an all in putting our tournament life at risk with the gutshot/flush draw.

It's one of them ' sigh why does the monkey gotta over shove' moments.

If villain had of bet the flop instead of overshove then we may of been able to play it differently depending on the bet sizing.

Last edited by ChewMe1; Sun Jul 29, 2012 at 07:51 PM.. Reason: typo

Old
Sun Jul 29, 2012, 09:00 PM
(#5)
Since: May 2011
Hi,

The maths which I can never work out at the table.

1.2 : 1 are you card odds with 12 outs when your opponent is all-in and

1.22 : 1 are your pot odds - so I guess you are on the wire to make the call.

Poker stove gives you 54.44% win rate against your opponent at 45.45% over a 990 game sample.

But hey you are only there once so better fold to stay in the tournament and hopefully pick up a better spot soon.

Old
Sun Jul 29, 2012, 09:31 PM
(#6)
BronzeStar
Thanks for replies I thought i was in good shape to call the "shove monkey" but after time to think about it I was not ITM so I should have mucked. Oh well I will beat him next time I have made a note.

Old
Sun Jul 29, 2012, 10:05 PM
(#7)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi dopplerboyf5!

That's the deciding factor for me in this type of situation. If I'm ITM, then I'd be more likely to try it, but since I'm NOT ITM and have enough chips to make it, I want to get a profit before going for a draw.... now.. if it was a made hand, I'd look at it differently.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Consider the bubble - Tue Jul 31, 2012, 09:08 AM
(#8)
Since: Feb 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by dopplerboyf5 View Post
final table of 45 stt I needed a 10 or a spade about 13 outs
In a normal situation, this isn’t a call, but the bigger consideration for this hand is the bubble factor. You’re sitting with a medium sized stack, there are 2 short stacks (under 10BB), and you are 2 away from the bubble. Even if you were favored (equity wise), it’s a must fold this close to the bubble.

"May the cards be with you!"

Old
Tue Jul 31, 2012, 09:28 AM
(#9)
Since: Jan 2012
I fold this every time regardless if we are close to the bubble or not. I would be thrilled to be the one getting it in on the flop if the action before us allowed us to do so.

Risking your tournament life by calling an overshove ( with a playable stack size of 17 bb's ) is not the right thing to do. If we knew villain had a pair lower than Jx then I guess it's ok because we have an extra 6 outs, but we dont know this, or do we? Not many guys will be over shoving worse than top pair with 3+ people to act behind them.

We gain more +ev by waiting for good spots to reshove all in rather than calling an all in on a draw which lets face it... isn't very strong.

Just my two cents, cheers, Chris.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com