Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

PSO Premiere League Defending small blind with KJo against a 2bet from UTG+1

Old
PSO Premiere League Defending small blind with KJo against a 2bet from UTG+1 - Tue Jul 31, 2012, 01:40 AM
(#1)
Since: Sep 2010

It's pretty late in the tourney, 300/600 blinds and 60 ante. There is not much information on the villain in this hand. I used HM2 but had only 20-hand field to work with. So far the villain was pretty solid TAG (20/20). The villain has 15BB, I have 18BB. The villain open raises with 2-bet from UTG+1. Everybody folds to my SB. I put the villain on a somewhat weaker hand, might be AT, A9, AJ (max), smaller pockets (up to 66), or KQ, or even suited connectors. I already have 1/4 of the bet (in SB) so I decide to flat call with my KJo and see the flop.

Question 1. Was it a mistake in general (if not to consider reads or info) to call in this situation? Should I have tried to 3-bet back to him preflop? Or just fold altogether?

The flop comes 77Q rainbow. I am OOP. Considering the range I put the villain on, it's possible for him to hit the flop (A7, KQ, 67s, 78s). Although I am pretty sure he does not have an overpair. I decide to donk bet as a blocking bet and to test the waters. I bet small -- just 2 BB (as I already have only 16BB left and don't want to pay too much for a bluff). At the same time, several hands before I played a top pair betting small to induce calls. So my small bet could look pretty dangerous.

Question 2. Would it be better to try check-raising on getting a small bet or folding to big raise? To make no mistake I was pretty sure that I might be behind, and the only way out would be a small bluff.

The villain takes his time and minraises me. Which probably was his mistake. In this particular hand minraise hinted me that the villain is still pretty weak and hesitant. Still I was considering the possibility of him trapping me. So I thought the solution might be in minraising back to him. That would show me 100% his strength. If he raises I'd fold, if he calls I'd check-fold on next streets if not improved. However in this hand it played out well and the villain gave up his hand.

Question 3. Is there hint or tells to look for when trying to distinguish a trap from a weaker hand?

Question 4. How would you play this hand?

Thank you,

Anton a.k.a. Mr. BASSs

Old
Tue Jul 31, 2012, 08:59 AM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi Anton!

Welcome to the forum and a GREAT first post!

With KJo in the SB, when UTG+1 raises, a read on the opp would be a large key for me here. When I want to play a hand from the SB, I try to either raise or fold and not to call (unless it's a family pot to setmine). The reason for this is that I have to play the rest of the hand out of position, which is a HUGE disadvantage.
20 hands of info is a very small number. If the opp is truely playing a 20% range, then my KJ is a 46%-54% underdog in the hand. If they are playing a tighter range (say top 10% for example) then I drop to a 2-1 underdog.
I do see some discrepancies with the ranges listed, as 20/20 should put the opp on a top 20% hand, but most suited connectors and small pairs are not in a top 20% hand.

Against a tight opp, being a 2-1 underdog, I'm going to fold KJo preflop. Against a very loose opp, especially a loose passive opp, I'd 3-bet preflop and play the hand. If I did play the hand against a loose/passive, I'd be ready to check if I missed and hope to get free cards until I get one that helps my hand.

Against a tight opp where I don't have the lead in the hand (didn't raise preflop) and miss the board, I'm checking the flop 100% of the time here. I'm most likely behind and there are 10 Qx's in the opp's range if their range is truely a top 20%.
I wouldn't want to try to bluff in this situation, especially by making a small bet on the flop. My normal flop bet on this board would be 1/2 pot and by betting less, the bet looks out of line.
If I did want to bluff at the pot, I'd do it on the turn as the opp's hand equity will be much less there. When I make bluff, I want my bets to look like value bets with the best hand and not something that would be out of character for me. This way, the opp will not know whether I've got a made hand or total air.
A value bet size for me would be 1/2 pot and a 3-bet would be between a pot-sized raise and 3X the opp's previous bet. If I would want to bluff, I would make the bets identical to what I would if I had AQ/KQ.

What I look for tells with are bets that look out of line. Just because there is a min raise or min bet, it's not necessarily a sign of weakness. Some players just always hit the min raise button (which can get them into big equity problems as in hands with multiple opps,as the opps will be priced in for draws, which will get them drawn out on much more frequently than they normally would, since the opps will stay more often) and some will use min bets for monster hands (a huge tell if their other bets are different). Many live players tend to min-raise AA or KK and that can be a HUGE tell on them if they are doing so. When an opp makes different sized bets... that's the best thing to look for as a tell. Someone taking their time, could be a number of things, so I normally discount that in an online game (especially if the opp is at multiple tables).... live, where you can get additional info from looking at the opp is a totally different story, as I absolutely will take that along with their demeanor into account.

I'm actually surprised that the opp folded to the min-raise, as they only had to call 1200 into a pot that would be 10680 (11.2%)... if there are no more bets before the river, even one overcard with 3 outs would have 12% hand equity and should call.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com