Home / Community / Forum / Poker Community / Off-Topic Discussions /

Michael Phelps swims into Olympics history with 19th medal

Old
Michael Phelps swims into Olympics history with 19th medal - Tue Jul 31, 2012, 10:51 PM
(#1)
Since: May 2011

Michael Phelps swims into Olympics history with 19th medal

Old
Wed Aug 01, 2012, 08:20 AM
(#2)
Since: Aug 2010
(Moderator)
What a fantastic achievement

Old
Thu Aug 02, 2012, 11:35 PM
(#3)
And adds to it as he also becomes the first ever to Three-peat in the same event with his win in the 200 IM.

Looks like those that were writing him off after failing to medal in the 400 IM were juuuuust a tad premature.

For someone who is not only a fellow American but also a fellow Marylander,and raised in Baltimore County AND also someone,who like tens of thousands of kids around here over the years have and still do,spent my summers competing in the Central Maryland Swim League (we're swimming nuts around here...) this really hits close to home for many of us in this area.

I always get the memory of Saturday mornings in the summer,racing or poolside,waiting for my next race,finger in a box of lime jello,rooting my teammates on,when I watch Phelps race. (The WHOLE league,lol,something like 50 member pools or more,kids were noshing on gelatin mix between races,some coach decided the sugar rush gave you energy I guess...hell those were the days when we didn't drink water at football practice but sucked on salt tablets instead...THAT was smart...).

Greatest Olympian ever? Meh,maybe,he would have my vote for sure.

I know this though,if records are indeed made to be broken whomever is going to break Phelps' records isn't likely to do it any time soon,if indeed in our lifetimes.

And with the 100M fly and the 4x100M IM relay still to go he's extremely likely to add a couple more medals,very likely Gold,to the tally.

Old
Thu Aug 02, 2012, 11:51 PM
(#4)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moxie Pip View Post
Greatest Olympian ever? Meh,maybe,he would have my vote for sure.
Mox, some of my friends brought that up last night. My reply to them... Phelps is definitely the best swimmer, but IMO, the best athlete.... Jim Thorpe.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Fri Aug 03, 2012, 12:41 AM
(#5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWK24 View Post
Mox, some of my friends brought that up last night. My reply to them... Phelps is definitely the best swimmer, but IMO, the best athlete.... Jim Thorpe.

John (JWK24)

Greatest ATHLETE ever maybe...Thorpe and Phelps would both be in the conversation for sure.

I would throw Babe Didrikson Zaharias and Jim Brown into the mix for ATHLETE.

But greatest Olympian ever to me it's between Phelps,Larisa Latynina (the Soviet gymnast whose record Phelps broke),Carl Lewis (10 medals,including 9 Gold in 4 Olmpiads),Mark Spitz (held the individual record 7 Golds in one Olympiad until Phelps broke it),Bjorn Daehlie (Norwegian cross-country skier---12 medal,8 Gold in 3 Olympiads---most decorated Winter Olympian ever),Jesse Owens (his performance in the 1936 games in Berlin was a message from the world that Adolf could take his "master race" crap and stick it...) and Bob Mathias (only 2 time Decathlon Gold Medalist).

My choice would be Phelps.

Think on this...if he does take Gold in his final two races,and he very likely will,then he will have as many Gold Medals as his closest challenger had medals total.

It will also give him 4 Golds,a Silver and a Bronze in these games alone. That's his lowest total in the last three games (he did compete at age 15 in 2000 but wasn't considered to be a serious contender in any events yet),but would make him the star of the games in any Olympic year that did not have Michael Phelps swimming in it (save for Spitz's performance in 1972).

When your "worst" haul in three consecutive games is still one of the very greatest performances ever that's pretty hard to beat IMO.

Last edited by Moxie Pip; Fri Aug 03, 2012 at 12:44 AM..

Old
Fri Aug 03, 2012, 12:45 AM
(#6)
You definitely cannot call him the greatest OLYMPIAN ever as most Olympians perform in events where they do not even come close to the amount of medal attempts the swimmers get. Some only get 1 medal shot per 4 years, simply because that is how their event is designed.

Having said that, very impressive accomplishment by him.

Old
Fri Aug 03, 2012, 12:58 AM
(#7)
Sens I'm not one to say DEFINITELY yes or no on a question like this.

In MY opinion though it's Phelps.

Given what's involved in competing in the Decathlon Mathias winning that twice is probably my second choice and Jessie Owens and Carl Lewis would be very much in the discussion as well,since they won Golds in both sprints and the long jump.

As for the multiple opportunities that a swimmer can get,yeah that's a valid point. But that side has two coins to it as the workload Phelps has taken on in these three Olympiads has been off the charts. Go back to 2008 in Bejing and the months leading up to it when he announced his intention to go for 8 Golds and everyone was saying that there was "no way,it's too much,he'll burn himself up...".

The other thing about those games is that in each of the event finals,both individual or relay,it was an Olympic record setting performance and in 7 of them the World record was also broken.

That's pretty sick IMO.

Old
Fri Aug 03, 2012, 01:07 AM
(#8)
I'd personally go with one of the athlete's that have multiple medals in different events

ie winter and summer

Now THAT is freaking impressive . But this can be debated for a long long time and no1 will agree.

Makes it fun when some1 dominates a generation though, so we can have this debate

On a side note, love that those Badminton players got the boot. That isn't the Olympic spirit at all!

Old
Fri Aug 03, 2012, 01:24 AM
(#9)
That was so bad...

I'm seeing where the International Badminton Federation is considering a lifetime ban against them and their coaches. Hope they follow through.

The other low light of these Games so far to me is the Korean fencer and the way she got jobbed in the semi-finals.

But that's all part of the games as well I guess.

Been a great Olympiad so far I think.

Old
Sat Aug 04, 2012, 11:22 PM
(#10)
And so an unmatched record of achievement ends...22 medals in total. 18 gold,2 silver and 2 bronze.

Incredible.

Not to be outdone by any means hats off to the greatest inspiration of this Olympiad, Oscar Pistorius of South Africa. To think of a double amputee making the Olympics and then moving on to the semi-finals of the 400-meter sprint is simply astounding. Here's hoping the "Blade Runner" can get on the medal stand but whether he does or not he's truly an inspiration to all.

It's not what you can't do...it's what you CAN do.

Old
Sat Aug 04, 2012, 11:27 PM
(#11)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Quote:
I'm seeing where the International Badminton Federation is considering a lifetime ban against them and their coaches. Hope they follow through.
I'll 2nd that one. How about the US boxer having the match score overturned... that one surprised me.

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sat Aug 04, 2012, 11:45 PM
(#12)
I stopped watching Olympic boxing about 4 Olympiads ago. It's so rigged that it's ridiculous.

Actually the same could be said for the professional boxing scene as well.

They should sue Vince McMahon for the ability to use the "Sports Entertainment" tag line. Sure as Hell describes that joke of a sport these days.

Old
Sat Aug 04, 2012, 11:55 PM
(#13)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Quote:
They should sue Vince McMahon for the ability to use the "Sports Entertainment" tag line. Sure as Hell describes that joke of a sport these days.
Great point.

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sun Aug 05, 2012, 12:34 AM
(#14)
Since: May 2011
Phelps was a gentleman when losing, with just a silver medal, to a young man from SA and Phelps went the extra mile with the photos and media.

That's why I put this post up. To dream as a child to beat the best in the world and actually do it and your hero is so gracious to keep that moment alive for the world to see.

OK I did Google to find a US sports link to post here. But it was so dismissive to the gold medal achievement and Phelps being an absolute gentleman with silver.

Phelps had more world wide support for those 'after ceremonies' live moments - it got to me a bit

Anyway did he get any more medals?

Old
Sun Aug 05, 2012, 12:37 AM
(#15)
In regards to the badminton banning for life, do the dopers even get an Olympic life sentence? I always thought they got 2-4 year ban type hits for steroids. If that's the case then I wouldn't want the Badminton team banned for life. I consider knowingly using steroids to cheat far worse than taking a game easy for better knock-out opponent.

Not condoning what the ladies did at all, but if that gets a harder hit than dopers, something is very wrong.

Old
Sun Aug 05, 2012, 01:54 AM
(#16)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForrestFive View Post
Phelps was a gentleman when losing, with just a silver medal, to a young man from SA and Phelps went the extra mile with the photos and media.

That's why I put this post up. To dream as a child to beat the best in the world and actually do it and your hero is so gracious to keep that moment alive for the world to see.

OK I did Google to find a US sports link to post here. But it was so dismissive to the gold medal achievement and Phelps being an absolute gentleman with silver.

Phelps had more world wide support for those 'after ceremonies' live moments - it got to me a bit

Anyway did he get any more medals?

Yes Forrest he ended up with 22 medals in all as he finished with 3 more Golds---individually in the 200-meter IM and the 100-meter Butterfly and earlier tonight he swam the Butterfly leg for the US's 4x100 IM team.

So final tally this Olympiad was 4 Golds and 2 Silvers and for his career it's 18 Golds,2 Silvers and 2 Bronze.

The South African swimmer you mention,Chad la Clos and Phelps had a good moment together last night after Michael won the 100 Butterfly. Supposedly Phelps is going to visit la Clos sometime after the Olympics to go shark diving with him. Hopefully in a cage because as fast as those 2 are I'm not liking their chances of out swimming some Great Whites.

Phelps insists that he's done and I'm inclined to believe him but Rio in 2016 promises to be such a great city for an Olympiad (South America's FIRST Olympics as well...it's gonna be a party for sure...) that maybe,just maybe,he'll come back for a couple more races.

We'll see.

Old
Sun Aug 05, 2012, 02:02 AM
(#17)
(Head Trainer)
Quote:
What they did was a direct violation of this organization's code of conduct, so I won't be surprised if they are sanctioned in some fashion. A lifetime ban seems harsh though, since they were basically trying to put themselves in the best position possible to win a medal within the rules of the Olympic format being used. That being said, trying to intentionally lose an Olympic match is a disgrace to the competitive spirit of the games, and some sanctioning is certainly in order imo.

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sun Aug 05, 2012, 02:17 AM
(#18)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLangolier View Post
What they did was a direct violation of this organization's code of conduct, so I won't be surprised if they are sanctioned in some fashion. A lifetime ban seems harsh though, since they were basically trying to put themselves in the best position possible to win a medal within the rules of the Olympic format being used. That being said, trying to intentionally lose an Olympic match is a disgrace to the competitive spirit of the games, and some sanctioning is certainly in order imo.

Have to admit I'm not exactly big on Badminton procedures but the gist that I'm getting from the comments that have been out there from the IBF is that what these athletes and their coaches did in the Olympics so disgraced their sport that they want to wash their hands of them.

For sure the seeding procedures in the Olympics can lead to some unfortunate spots at times and the impetus for this whole thing seems to be that the 2 Chinese teams wanted to be in different halves of the draw so that they could meet for the Gold medal match. Then the Indonesians said the Hell with that and then the Koreans said the Hell with THAT.

I know that one of the Chinese players announced her intention to retire from the sport,not sure in their system if that choice is entirely hers though. Strange thing is that it may be possible that the IBF has no governing authority as to whether these players can or can't compete in future Olympiads.

For me personally I can never condone someone doping of course and they should be sanctioned just as harshly as these athletes have been rumored to be on the verge of being. But the idea of throwing a game for any reason,that just makes me sick myself. You disgrace not only yourself,but your opponent,the game and everyone involved in it. I have a feeling that for a game that seems to enjoy it's biggest popularity in countries where the concept of "losing face" is such a large personal affront has a lot to do with the harshness of the possible reprisals.

Still getting used to the new avvy BTW.

Old
Sun Aug 05, 2012, 01:04 PM
(#19)
(Head Trainer)
I googled IBF and came up with the Badminton World Federation, which would appear to have influence over the Olympiads based on their home page description:

Quote:
Originally Posted by About BWF
The Badminton World Federation (BWF) is the governing body of the sport of badminton recognised by the International Olympic Committee (IOC). The BWF serve to regulate, promote, develop and popularise the sport of badminton across the globe and to organise and run the highest level international events.
The sport wanting to wash their hands of them, yes I can see that. That kind of lack of sportsmanship could get badminton removed as an olympic event, and that's pretty much the big thing it has going for it is Olympic competition.

Quote:
Still getting used to the new avvy BTW.
Thanks, it was Flix's idea, I thought it was a good one.

mtn teased me that it doesn't have enough black chips, but the paper counts as black chips too. And considering it started as 5 red stacks, it was the end of a pretty good session.

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sun Aug 05, 2012, 03:00 PM
(#20)
Don't let Worm kite your black chips for the "relaxation therapist"...

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com