Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

live game hands

Old
live game hands - Sat Aug 04, 2012, 07:13 AM
(#1)
Since: Aug 2011
these are 2 hands from my local live game that i ran into tonite,as they are from live tourney i cant use the hand replayer but hopefully i can stil get some advice or thoughts about the plays i made

my position UTG 5d 5h open limped for 200
3 folders
player X flat call for 200
2 more folds player Y BB checks

flop is 2c 5c kh
i bet out 500
player X raises all in
BB calls
so at this point the pot is around 11000 -12000

i feel ive got to be ahead at this point and there are no real sharks on the table,so i call and am all in
river is a J d turn is 8 c

BB shows Qc 9c for flush
my set of 5s crushed on river
player Y shows A K off suit

pokerstove has the hands pretty much even pre flop, then im a 69.9% fav on the flop

did i make the right play and just got unlucky or should i fold here?

Old
Sat Aug 04, 2012, 12:28 PM
(#2)
Since: Jan 2012
Hey milehigh0874

Stack size information would be useful here as if we are below 30 ish bb's im going to fold 55 UTG.

As played we are never folding the 2nd nuts on the flop, we are only scared of KK and A4 of clubs.

We call here 100% of the time and are likely to be against Kx,2 pair, and some draws.

You got unlucky and it hurts a little more in live games as we are unable to register for another game right away like we can online!

Keep at it though and good luck at the tables!

Old
Sat Aug 04, 2012, 01:26 PM
(#3)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi milehigh!

When I'm playing live or online, I don't like to open-limp with small/mid pkt pairs. I'll either make my std raise or fold them. That way the opp can't get a read on exactly what cards I'm playing. Many people open-limp small pocket pairs live and that's something that I'm always looking for as a tell on the player.

I like the lead bet on the flop and would do the same thing with my set. When there is a shove and call in front of me... I agree with Chris and would call here too hoping that both opps had Kx, but expecting one of them to have the flush draw.

Good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com