Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

Becoming a better cash game player

Old
Becoming a better cash game player - Sat Aug 04, 2012, 07:47 AM
(#1)
Since: Jul 2012
Hi everyone,

I am a fairly good sit n go player. I am trying to transition into a winning cash game player but seem to be having a bit of difficulty getting a hang of it. Currently I am playing the 1c/2c NL games. I am waiting for the premium hands and when I get them I play them aggressively (maybe too aggressively?) and then get beaten by not as good starting hands. This happens more often than not. And then slowly but surely my bankroll diminishes.

I have gone through the NLHE course o the PSO site and plan to go through it again. Perhaps I am just not grasping the concepts that they are trying to teach.

Any tips or strategies would be greatly appreciated.

I am not using a HUD at the moment and am going to invest in one within the next week or two. Any suggestions as to which one to consider? Done a bit of reading and seems that Holdem Manager 2 is a popular one.

Thanks in advance.

Old
Sat Aug 04, 2012, 08:24 AM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dxmgu0 View Post

I am not using a HUD at the moment and am going to invest in one within the next week or two. Any suggestions as to which one to consider? Done a bit of reading and seems that Holdem Manager 2 is a popular one.

Thanks in advance.
Hem used to be a bit better but the new pt4 dominates imo - either way you get a solid program though

Old
Sat Aug 04, 2012, 11:27 AM
(#3)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi Dxmgu0!

Welcome to the forum. Here's a link that will help to get you familiar with some of the options that PSO has to offer.

Good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sat Aug 04, 2012, 12:00 PM
(#4)
Hey Dx

I'm to lazy to look for you, but there are some very good videos here on 2NL
I suggest you look at them over and over, it will surely help

As for the HUD, I'm not to sure it will help you at 2NL, BUT, the software will definitely help find your leaks. I use PT4 to analyze my hands after every session I play. I'm not saying a HUD is not good, but not only will you be learning the cash games, but you'll have to learn how to use a HUD, and that will take you more than 2 weeks to do so.

I'd say for now, make good use of all the videos that are available here, there's PLENTY.

GL

Old
Sat Aug 04, 2012, 01:03 PM
(#5)
Thanks for your replies I'll have a look over the videos on PSO. Have downloaded a trial version of Holdem manager 2 so will test that out this coming month.

Would there be any particular videos I should pay close attention to? I see that there are quite a few

Dx

Old
Sat Aug 04, 2012, 01:57 PM
(#6)
hi Dxmgu0,

Based on your first post and my own experience with the switch from sng to cash.

you are playing too tight and only playing monsters which even at the 2nl level can get you in trouble. Players will see you have rock like image and know that you are playing a monster so they come along and only continue if they flop well. so you will small pots with your monster hand when they miss. or lose a big one when they hit.

Have to agree with sand some good Videos in the libary for 2nl cash.

http://www.pokerschoolonline.com/art...aining-videos- look down and select the 2nl then

3 betting, commitment, reading and hand ranging.

Grade b

I am always ready to learn although I do not always like being taught. ~Winston Churchill

13 Time Bracelet Winner

Last edited by Grade b; Sat Aug 04, 2012 at 02:00 PM..

Old
Sat Aug 04, 2012, 02:22 PM
(#7)
Since: Aug 2010
BronzeStar
What a cute doggie!!

I played SNG's for a while, then started playing cash games instead, and then I blogged about it here: http://www.pokerschoolonline.com/for...-Blog&p=346267

I found it to be quite a big change as well - ended up reading a lot of books!!!

GL!!

Old
Sat Aug 04, 2012, 06:30 PM
(#8)
Hi Grade and Trusty,

Thanks for the links. will have a look at them and post back with how things go!

Old
Sat Aug 04, 2012, 07:02 PM
(#9)
@ Grade,

I tried that link you posted but it seems to be broken. Could you double check it please.

Thanks

Old
Videos - Sat Aug 04, 2012, 08:49 PM
(#10)
Clicking on the videos button at the top of the page will take you here.

Good luck
Doug

3 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sat Aug 04, 2012, 10:10 PM
(#11)
http://www.pokerschoolonline.com/art...raining-videos

hope that works

if not try

http://www.pokerschoolonline.com/art...s-Micro-Stakes

I am always ready to learn although I do not always like being taught. ~Winston Churchill

13 Time Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com