Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

4 bet folding on a 100bb stack

Old
4 bet folding on a 100bb stack - Mon Aug 06, 2012, 01:59 AM
(#1)
Since: Aug 2010
BronzeStar
I have been playing a lot of full ring 25nl lately and have encountered a few players who 3 bet light in position if they think you are stealing. I have started 4 betting these players light, and have had fairly good results so far. However, There have been a couple times where I get 5 bet and I am not sure how to proceed.

My question is this: Is it ever ok to 4 bet and then fold on a 100bb stack? Say I raise to .75 from the cutoff with A9s and villain on the button makes it 2.25. I know he likes to 3 bet light so I 4 bet to 6.25. Then Villain shoves in his entire 25.00 stack. I have already put over 20% of my stack in the middle, but I feel like these players are not capable of 5 bet bluffing in this spot. How should I proceed?

Old
Mon Aug 06, 2012, 08:01 AM
(#2)
Since: Oct 2011
If you don't think they're ever bluffing, I'd fold because at best you're a 2 to 1 dog, so you need 2 to 1 odds to call. You're need to call 75 BBs more to win a total of 125 (1,5 to 1). I recommend you make your 4bets a bit smaller (5$ or so) because they are still going to fold their bluffs and shove their premiums.

Hope this helps

Old
Mon Aug 06, 2012, 01:16 PM
(#3)
Since: Jun 2010
(Head Trainer)
Hi,

With A9s you're worse than a 2-1 dog vs. a 100% value range, and I agree that until you see differently from an opponent at 25nl, they are not 5b jamming light. I agree with Tom's advice as well, structure your bet sizing a bit smaller, there's no need to 3x/25x over his 9x preflop. If you start with 3x and he 3b's to 9x, you could 4b to 19x-20x (4.75-5) would be plenty either for value or when bluffing. You might also consider experimenting with opening less than 3x initially. For instance I like to min-raise the button frequently in cash games when first in the pot... it gives me a better price on my steals and cuts my losses when I am stealing and have to fold to a 3b. And it encourages loose players to call from the blinds because of the "pot odds"...if people want to take some weak hand and play a raised pot out of position against me, I'm happy to accommodate them.

Good topic for discussion.

Dave

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com