Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

SNG 45 runners

Old
SNG 45 runners - Mon Aug 06, 2012, 03:12 AM
(#1)
Since: Aug 2011
WhiteStar
Decided to share with you guys an awesome win in a SNG 45 runners. As usual I stick to my strategy of folding hands I feel I shouldn't get involved with in play.

So, here I am 13 runners left middle position holding pocket 10 10's with 1995 chips, play is folded to me, with 4 players behind me including BB that typically couldn't seem to fold. I made my move here, all-in, highjack position instant calls, BB can't help himself instant calls too: 10 10's vs. 9 9's vs. A9o flop 7 A J rainbow I'm dead, so are the pocket 99's although that gave me protection and win up with roughly 395 chips.

Somewhere along the way there was a train wreck and I'm at final table extremely short stack. I fold to min-raise in BB, fold in SB, fold some more and here I am pocket QQ's I shove, the whole table calls, once hand is at showdown I wind up with 1895 chips that's all I needed.

Picked my time I shove again on a big stack limper, he doubles me up. Take my time once more, shove on same guy, he doubles me up again, sitting at 6000+ chips. I fold for a while, wind up with QQ's again, action is, limp, limp, limp, I raise from cutoff 2775 pre-flop, BB calls UTG fold, middle position calls, flop is 7s Jd 8d here if i raise I'd have a little over 500 chips left, so I opt to ship it. Middle position folds, BB instant calls, turns over pocket 10 10's I cripple him, now sitting at around 13k+ chips.

From here on out, stuck to my strategy wasn't giving chips away. Four handed, I'm in BB holding KTs, button shoves on me, I smell a button move, I think for a bit, and decide to call: I'm both wrong and dead guy turns over AQo, lucky for me I flopped a K and knocked the guy out, leaving three of us at table. Big stack shoves on #2 stack at table, he gets looked up with ATo, wind up turning over pocket 99's he is crippled. He goes out, now it's heads up. Guy decides to shove on me first head, I'm doubled up again and chip lead. I raise, he shoves with junk, I decide to call based on what I observed up until this point (which was the guy play anything from J2s to 74o) and as usual he turns over junk I'm ahead, he sucks out. A few more hands I'm back in the lead, and while I'm in BB he shoves, I'm looking at Q8s (heads up any A, K, Q is a call) so I call, he turns over 85o I have him dead, flop Qc 8c 7h I took it down for the win. Wished heads up was more strategic then what transpired, but to me I'll take a win like that any day.

Old
Mon Aug 06, 2012, 10:12 AM
(#2)
Since: Jul 2010
Barnie congrats. Hope you have many more.

Old
Tue Aug 07, 2012, 04:22 PM
(#3)
Since: Aug 2011
WhiteStar
Thanks guys

Jig wrote: "Imo, and if you would like to enhance your game; that not playing UG/BB or even SB that short in a 45 man, with blinds as they would be is loosing."

I understand and know exactly what you are saying here, although I did happen to omit info out of what transpired with that particular hand I chose not to play, so here it is: highjack position min-raises, button calls, SB calls, I'm looking at J9o and for some reason even though I'm thinking push here, I opt to fold thinking "not going out on a junk hand like that" any Q, K, A, will surely beat me there. Hijack and button mix it up and at showdown highjack turns over pocket KK's (my J9o would've been dead and would've been knocked out right then and there. For some odd reason something didn't feel right about that min-raise and thought that the hijack position wanted me to come along.)

My whole thought process while playing SNG's like that revolves around what I usually observe from other's game play: at that level people that hit even bottom pair on a board won't let go of a hand and will take it to showdown that could end disastrous, been there done that (which is my reasoning for eliminating certain hands out of my range in certain positions, including bluffing.)

I've gotten the pleasure to play a while back with some people that were way out of my level and believe you me with those guys I was able to push 'em off a hand even though I didn't hit the flop due to the fact that my bet sizing was disguised in the form of value bets. (And I did manage to win that SNG against those much better players.) To me my whole thought process changes once the table thins out and make it to the "ITM" portion of the game, the people that up until that point pushed me around all of a sudden don't know what to make of me.

I used to be really aggressive and would bet my AK, AQ, AJ, AT,KQ, KJ, KT, even if I didn't hit I'd fire bets to where people either were forced to fold or shove. I still play certain hands aggressive against certain people even if I don't hit or don't hold top pair on a board, I can push people off a draw or a speculative hand, but all that is done based on info I gather during play. IMO all those awesome moves we see the pros pull off on tv don't work at these levels due to the fact that most shows we watch are heavily edited, moves are based on thousand upon thousand of hands played against one another, and really the main thing is history with each other.

For some odd reason I don't feel comfortable with a full ring and need to work on that quite a bit, but heads up I get stupidly aggressive within reason and will hold my own no doubt. But thanks for input Jig I appreciate it and welcome any advice on how to improve my play, as I'm sure we all do.

PS: I know that push with pocket 10 10's from middle position was bad on my part due to the fact that blinds were only 25/50 at that level and a simple 3-4x raise would've sufficed and I could've easily gotten away from my hand on the flop if a scary card showed up. Based on what I observed up until that point, I knew someone would call me off light with a worse pair then what I was holding.

Old
Tue Aug 07, 2012, 05:35 PM
(#4)
Since: Aug 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by barnie427 View Post
Thanks guys

Jig wrote: "Imo, and if you would like to enhance your game; that not playing UG/BB or even SB that short in a 45 man, with blinds as they would be is loosing."

I understand and know exactly what you are saying here, although I did happen to omit info out of what transpired with that particular hand I chose not to play, so here it is: highjack position min-raises, button calls, SB calls, I'm looking at J9o and for some reason even though I'm thinking push here, I opt to fold thinking "not going out on a junk hand like that" any Q, K, A, will surely beat me there. Hijack and button mix it up and at showdown highjack turns over pocket KK's (my J9o would've been dead and would've been knocked out right then and there. For some odd reason something didn't feel right about that min-raise and thought that the hijack position wanted me to come along.)

My whole thought process while playing SNG's like that revolves around what I usually observe from other's game play: at that level people that hit even bottom pair on a board won't let go of a hand and will take it to showdown that could end disastrous, been there done that (which is my reasoning for eliminating certain hands out of my range in certain positions, including bluffing.)

I've gotten the pleasure to play a while back with some people that were way out of my level and believe you me with those guys I was able to push 'em off a hand even though I didn't hit the flop due to the fact that my bet sizing was disguised in the form of value bets. (And I did manage to win that SNG against those much better players.) To me my whole thought process changes once the table thins out and make it to the "ITM" portion of the game, the people that up until that point pushed me around all of a sudden don't know what to make of me.

I used to be really aggressive and would bet my AK, AQ, AJ, AT,KQ, KJ, KT, even if I didn't hit I'd fire bets to where people either were forced to fold or shove. I still play certain hands aggressive against certain people even if I don't hit or don't hold top pair on a board, I can push people off a draw or a speculative hand, but all that is done based on info I gather during play. IMO all those awesome moves we see the pros pull off on tv don't work at these levels due to the fact that most shows we watch are heavily edited, moves are based on thousand upon thousand of hands played against one another, and really the main thing is history with each other.

For some odd reason I don't feel comfortable with a full ring and need to work on that quite a bit, but heads up I get stupidly aggressive within reason and will hold my own no doubt. But thanks for input Jig I appreciate it and welcome any advice on how to improve my play, as I'm sure we all do.

PS: I know that push with pocket 10 10's from middle position was bad on my part due to the fact that blinds were only 25/50 at that level and a simple 3-4x raise would've sufficed and I could've easily gotten away from my hand on the flop if a scary card showed up. Based on what I observed up until that point, I knew someone would call me off light with a worse pair then what I was holding.

Ideally we never want to allow ourselves to get as short as you were in the J9o in the BB scenario but sometimes these things can't be helped.

As it is I agree with your patience and your mindset in this spot---with that action in front you're going to be crushed pretty much 100 times out of 100 and you don't have any fold equity so all a shove does is get you to a showdown anyway. Better to wait and hope for a better hand or even a spot where we can be all-in with even as bad a hand as 72o if it's an ISO spot and we just have to get lucky against one opp.

On the 1010 hand,I totally get the reasoning and the temptation here and you're right---you WILL get called with worse---much,much worse---a lot in these. But when we risk all our chips early like that we're also punting our skill edge if it's a table full of bad players and putting ourselves in a spot to be vulnerable to the cruel humors of Mistress Poker. And she's a spiteful polecat that one.

Have to lol at being down to 13 runners left on 25/50 blinds. 32 peeps out by the 3rd level,that had to be a .25 45 man I'm guessing and a real window lickers on the short bus edition as well.

Grats on the bink.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com